Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Did not want to start a New Thread as a New Member . Name is Zeke

Can anyone confirm the fact the 2022 Vado 4 motor makes noise ? I have a 2 year old Vado that is noiseless . Testing a Newer Vado it had a winding noise . Nothing like the Noise a Trek Alliant makes , but still . Compared to noiseless somewhat concerning . What was changed ?

@Zekeer My 2022 Vado 4.0 motor does make a little bit of noise under load, but it hasn't been bothersome or really noticeable unless looking for it.

I have no idea what might've changed from the prior motor.

@Zekeer My 2022 Vado 4.0 motor does make a little bit of noise under load, but it hasn't been bothersome or really noticeable unless looking for it.

I have no idea what might've changed from the prior motor.
I didn't mean to imply it's loud. Guess I am just used to absolutely no noise at all . It does appear the size of the motor housing is smaller . Maybe someone else knows . Thanks

So I was going through the packet of user manual and other documents that came with my used Vado 4.0 and look what I found...

IMG_1239.jpeg

LOL

I wonder if the bike shop that sold the bike included that Class1 sticker?

In my state (GA), the law disallows class 3 ebikes from using bike paths which aren't adjacent to a road. That said, I've yet to hear of it being enforced.

I didn't mean to imply it's loud. Guess I am just used to absolutely no noise at all . It does appear the size of the motor housing is smaller . Maybe someone else knows . Thanks
The new Specialized/Brose motors are not silent. The noise is not annoying but can be heard in a silent environment, such as a forest. The reason is a new construction to eliminate motor defects that happened to occur with the previous generation of these motors.

So I was going through the packet of user manual and other documents that came with my used Vado 4.0 and look what I found...

View attachment 132319

LOL

I wonder if the bike shop that sold the bike included that Class1 sticker?

In my state (GA), the law disallows class 3 ebikes from using bike paths which aren't adjacent to a road. That said, I've yet to hear of it being enforced

The new Specialized/Brose motors are not silent. The noise is not annoying but can be heard in a silent environment, such as a forest. The reason is a new construction to eliminate motor defects that happened to occur with the previous generation of these motors.
Defects ?? Ouch > I only have 317 miles on my 2020 Vado . I mainly ride a regular bike and bought the Vado to go on long trips . Which hasn't worked out as I lost 2 riding buds during Covid lockdowns . On a brighter note are you saying I should trade in or sell my 2020 and get the Newest Vado ? Currently I can still get my hands on one in any of the 3 colors .
I looked at your postings before answering you . Looks like you have a Vado yourself with a different fork . I was planning to throw on an 11 speed cassette and change out the shifter . Also purchase an extra battery while they are getable . But you have me wondering if my motor is going to cause me issues .

Defects ?? Ouch > I only have 317 miles on my 2020 Vado . I mainly ride a regular bike and bought the Vado to go on long trips . Which hasn't worked out as I lost 2 riding buds during Covid lockdowns . On a brighter note are you saying I should trade in or sell my 2020 and get the Newest Vado ? Currently I can still get my hands on one in any of the 3 colors .
I looked at your postings before answering you . Looks like you have a Vado yourself with a different fork . I was planning to throw on an 11 speed cassette and change out the shifter . Also purchase an extra battery while they are getable . But you have me wondering if my motor is going to cause me issues .
Don't worry. Seriously.
You have read my posts. My Vado was built in 2017, sold to me in 2019 (11/1), was upgraded in 2022. It is 8/17/2022 today. My Vado has worked flawlessly for almost 14,000 km (8,700 mi) and is still in perfect shape. Now, I own as many as 3 batteries for that e-bike. It is the most valuable of my e-bikes for both fast commutes and long, demanding trips.

I mean, the Specialized/Brose motors used to have a higher failure rate than expected. Still, there are many older Vado owners in these Forums and they are happy as I am. Perhaps the reason for flawless operation of my Vado is I like riding it. :) You should decidedly not worry. Ride on!

In June this year, I met a Finnish engineer riding a Vado of exactly the same history as mine (MY 2017, purchased 2019, upgraded 2020). This guy makes a 90 km (56 mi) commute on every working day of the warm season! Why worry?

America is no longer getting anything from China : I know My specialized frames come from Taiwan . Which doesn't currently look to promising either . I'm not one that always has to have the latest and greatest . I did my research and test rides . Bought Specialized because he scored the best over-all . But the future of getting New Bikes is kinda if come maybe . Even getting a battery . My local LBS said they couldn't promise delivery . SO I found a place online that will send it Priority Mail . Kinda hard to say

Don't worry. Seriously.
You have read my posts. My Vado was built in 2017, sold to me in 2019 (11/1), was upgraded in 2022. It is 8/17/2022 today. My Vado has worked flawlessly for almost 14,000 km (8,700 mi) and is still in perfect shape. Now, I own as many as 3 batteries for that e-bike. It is the most valuable of my e-bikes for both fast commutes and long, demanding trips.

I mean, the Specialized/Brose motors used to have a higher failure rate than expected. Still, there are many older Vado owners in these Forums and they are happy as I am. Perhaps the reason for flawless operation of my Vado is I like riding it. :) You should decidedly not worry. Ride on!

In June this year, I met a Finnish engineer riding a Vado of exactly the same history as mine (MY 2017, purchased 2019, upgraded 2020). This guy makes a 90 km (56 mi) commute on every working day of the warm season! Why worry?
All good points . Probably should get a battery ordered ;)

You'd want to look up your exact model, but if you were on the 2020 Vado 4, you probably had the 1.2 motor which is based on Brose T. The 2022 Vado 4 is based on Brose T Mag, and the main difference is the Mag is a bit smaller/lighter/newer. Supposedly some newer motors use an upgraded belt, which I believe is what Stefan is referencing, but I don't have any details on that. If your belt were to break, the upgraded belts are backwards compatable., but I wouldn't look at your 2020 as a ticking timebomb. All motors will fail eventually, and Brose may not be quite as reliable as Bosch or some other brands, but it's not like the difference between a Honda and a Yugo. More like the difference between a Honda and a...I dunno...Nissan. I'm not a car person, someone else can probably draw the analogy better.

Anyway, I'm skeptical the new belt is what's causing the noise, but I also haven't done a side-by-side comparison of the two motors, nor have any experience replacing a belt so...it's possible? It seems pretty unlikely Brose would be like "oh yea, our new motors are totally louder, but here's why", so we're unlikely to have a "real" answer from the source.

Dave, have you thought Brose could have dramatically changed the new motor design? If anything in making some noise it is gears... Because it is not just Brose T Mag. It is more design changes for sure.

Dave, have you thought Brose could have dramatically changed the new motor design? If anything in making some noise it is gears... Because it is not just Brose T Mag. It is more design changes for sure.

Great question. Let's see how Brose describes this:

The current product range consists of two drive models – in the form of the tried-and-tested aluminium platform paired with one variant each in a magnesium housing. The aluminium drives can be installed 360 degrees around the bottom bracket in any position and offer manufacturers complete flexibility in the integration into the bicycle frame. The drives in the innovative magnesium housing are 500 grammes lighter and 15 per cent smaller than the variants made of aluminium.

Does that sound to you like they "dramatically changed the new motor design"? "For sure"?

Great question. Let's see how Brose describes this:

Does that sound to you like they "dramatically changed the new motor design"? "For sure"?
You seem to have forgotten Dave the Specialized motors are only manufactured by Brose. There are numerous articles about Specialized taking active part in the Brose motor design. A Specialized motor is not necessarily a standard issue Brose. How comes there are suddenly as many as three new different Specialized full-power motors?

Specialized provides a cross reference for what every one of their motors is based on. Specialized says they "develop the motor hardware with Brose" but they stop short of saying the hardware is any different from Brose motors, instead pivoting to how they develop their own software.

You'll notice I've tried to include official sources for everything I'm saying. I count 7 links over my last 3 posts, all from Brose and/or Specialized pages. If you're telling me I'm wrong, I'm happy to admit that possibility exists. But maybe provide some official sources that back up your argument? Otherwise it all sounds like guessing.

Specialized provides a cross reference for what every one of their motors is based on. Specialized says they "develop the motor hardware with Brose" but they stop short of saying the hardware is any different from Brose motors, instead pivoting to how they develop their own software.

You'll notice I've tried to include official sources for everything I'm saying. I count 7 links over my last 3 posts, all from Brose and/or Specialized pages. If you're telling me I'm wrong, I'm happy to admit that possibility exists. But maybe provide some official sources that back up your argument? Otherwise it all sounds like guessing.
I cannot explain the fact the 1.2 and 1.2s motors are totally silent but 2.0E, 2.0, and 2.2 are audible.
I own a 1.2s Vado. I demo rode a 2.0E Tero.

Stopped in a couple motorcycle shops today. They both had taken up the ebike inventory. One was selling Specialized and had quite a bit of inventory of the ebikes, that's all they carried. That has to compete with the bike shops.

I cannot explain the fact the 1.2 and 1.2s motors are totally silent but 2.0E, 2.0, and 2.2 are audible.
I own a 1.2s Vado. I demo rode a 2.0E Tero.
Question : Is the Vado's upgrade 2022 display something that can be used on the 2020? Also I noticed on Mission control my firmware isn't the latest one . How big of a deal is that ? I have no interest in knowing heart rates or BP or whatever vitals are offered . I am interested in the tuning stuff . If I am understanding right. My system can only be tuned using the phone app. Vs the Newest one allows you to tune the bike from the display itself . That correct ?
I also have a Low battery warning that always displays. It's been there since I bought the bike and doesn't change even with a completely fully charged battery .

Question : Is the Vado's upgrade 2022 display something that can be used on the 2020?
It cannot. The Gen 2 (Mastermind) is a completely new system.
Also I noticed on Mission control my firmware isn't the latest one . How big of a deal is that
As long as your e-bike works, no need for firmware update.

I am interested in the tuning stuff . If I am understanding right. My system can only be tuned using the phone app. Vs the Newest one allows you to tune the bike from the display itself . That correct ?
Actually, you can Microtune the Mastermind system using the handlebar remote as you ride
I also have a Low battery warning that always displays.
Replace the button battery in the display :)

Not bad for $10 and five minutes effort....

Garmin Varia Seat Rail mount installed in place of the reflector on my Vado 4.0. Quarter turn mount was already installed this way.

For neatness I'll trim the left side as that section is superfluous, and while the right-most screw goes through one of the reflector bracket holes the other two span either side of the bracket. I may fashion an overlay bracket if it seems this doesn't hold in place as it stands, or I may raise it up and drill a corresponding hole in the bracket above the reflector holes.

IMG_1253.jpeg

Back