Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Hooked the Burley Nomad to the Vado today. Charged up the bike and the Bluetti while I worked out. I like the pass through charging that allows input and output charging simultaneously. Two 100w Rockpal panels running parellel gives a steady charge of 122w an hour. The Jackery power unit charges 84w an hour with the same setup.
Thoughts on the Nomad?

Nomad is a blessing. I carry most of my cargo in it. I wish the wheels were bigger 20" but other than that I like it so far.

Attachments

• 20210515_083310.jpg
    20210515_083310.jpg
    899.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 20210515_111433.jpg
    20210515_111433.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
Hi all,

Wanted to say hi. Received my Como 5.0 a few weeks ago. Great bike.

I installed a Redshift stem and used the existing spacers. However, the spacers have "bumps" allowing them to fit into each other. This causes the Redshift to sit unevenly on the spacer. To address this issue, I turned the spacers 90 degrees. This allows the Redshift to sit flush on the spacer. See the attached photos. This seems to work. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I installed the redshift stem on my Como 4. I didn’t like the way the spacers were so I purchased replacements at the Specialized dealer and they installed them for me.

This bike you have here is the Vado. Why isn't there a suspension fork? Is it because you aren't in USA? On my post you said you loved your Como. I'm still doing research. I like the suspension in the handlebars and different tires.
It is a 2017 Vado 5.0. Those had no suspension fork in that model year. Honestly, 40 psi in the wheels and Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post make this e-bike quite comfortable.
P.S. EU version of Como has the suspension fork, while the North American hasn't. Yet, American/Canadian Como has bigger tyres, and that means a lot.

Hi. Cool rig. Have you written up the story anywhere? How far do you travel, how long for a full charge, what the electronics are and how they form a system?
Bill
It was other people's stories that inspired me. I'm testing the water seeing what works for me and what doesn't. This was my first bike camping trip, a local campground about 14 miles away. Riding there I towed 90 + pound load. (More taxing on the battery then on myself.) The elevation was steep to moderate climbing almost the entire way. When I arrived at my destination I had consumed 75% of 100% battery. My power station was full so I was able to quickly charge the Vado back to 100%. The Jackery 500 along with my 100w solar panel made it possible to run my electric blanket and to keep my tablet and phones charged for two days. I had to deal with overcast skies but I managed. I now know I should of brought my other 100w solar panel to deal with the overcast. I wasn't sure about adding an additional 10 pounds or if I even needed it. Not only was wildlife looking at me strangely so we're the people in their cars and RVs. I guess they were wondering how I managed to get up those steep hills with all my stuff. They wrongly assumed I was riding a ordinary bike. People at the campsite were cool. A couple who were vegan fed me a couple of delicious hot meals that his wife had whipped up in their RV. Conversation insued mostly about my setup and how we were living off the grid in different ways. They had a Bluetti 1500 and a 300w solar panel for their needs. My food/water consisted of six 24 ounce bottles of water, 4 prepacked(two tuna/two salmon), can if mixed nuts and Cheerios in a zip locked bag. I had a 4 inch mattress, electric 12v blanket and a sheet for comfort/warmth. I had one spare tube for the vado and carried two spares for the Burley tires. Air pump, patches, cable zip ties and small tool set. Toothbrush/toothpaste, one bar of soap, a towel, face cloth, small mirror and beard trimmers. Lastly, Jackery Explorer 500, Rockpal SP 02 100w solar panel. Specialized 4a charger, 10" Samsung Tablet and both my Cellphones.
Return trip was smooth sailing almost entirely downhill. It took me about 50 minutes returning and almost 2 hours going. Overall, it was a great weekend adventure for me. Looking forward to explore more distant campsites in the future.
Things I would of done differently: I would of brought the other solar panel to charge the Jackery quicker.

Attachments

• 20210516_155556.jpg
    20210516_155556.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • 20210516_154220.jpg
    20210516_154220.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 208
  • 20210516_154209.jpg
    20210516_154209.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20210515_164005_203.jpg
    IMG_20210515_164005_203.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20210515_164022_831.jpg
    IMG_20210515_164022_831.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20210515_112351_01.jpg
    IMG_20210515_112351_01.jpg
  • IMG_20210515_112305_01.jpg
    IMG_20210515_112305_01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20210515_100803_01.jpg
    IMG_20210515_100803_01.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20210515_112224_01.jpg
    IMG_20210515_112224_01.jpg
  • IMG_20210515_112224_01.jpg
    IMG_20210515_112224_01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
  • 20210516_202929.jpg
    20210516_202929.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 186
It was other people's stories that inspired me. I'm testing the water seeing what works for me and what doesn't. This was my first bike camping trip, a local campground about 14 miles away. Riding there I towed 90 + pound load. (More taxing on the battery then on myself.) The elevation was steep to moderate climbing almost the entire way. When I arrived at my destination I had consumed 75% of 100% battery. My power station was full so I was able to quickly charge the Vado back to 100%. The Jackery 500 along with my 100w solar panel made it possible to run my electric blanket and to keep my tablet and phones charged for two days. I had to deal with overcast skies but I managed. I now know I should of brought my other 100w solar panel to deal with the overcast. I wasn't sure about adding an additional 10 pounds or if I even needed it. Not only was wildlife looking at me strangely so we're the people in their cars and RVs. I guess they were wondering how I managed to get up those steep hills with all my stuff. They wrongly assumed I was riding a ordinary bike. People at the campsite were cool. A couple who were vegan fed me a couple of delicious hot meals that his wife had whipped up in their RV. Conversation insued mostly about my setup and how we were living off the grid in different ways. They had a Bluetti 1500 and a 300w solar panel for their needs. My food/water consisted of six 24 ounce bottles of water, 4 prepacked(two tuna/two salmon), can if mixed nuts and Cheerios in a zip locked bag. I had a 4 inch mattress, electric 12v blanket and a sheet for comfort/warmth. I had one spare tube for the vado and carried two spares for the Burley tires. Air pump, patches, cable zip ties and small tool set. Toothbrush/toothpaste, one bar of soap, a towel, face cloth, small mirror and beard trimmers. Lastly, Jackery Explorer 500, Rockpal SP 02 100w solar panel. Specialized 4a charger, 10" Samsung Tablet and both my Cellphones.
Return trip was smooth sailing almost entirely downhill. It took me about 50 minutes returning and almost 2 hours going. Overall, it was a great weekend adventure for me. Looking forward to explore more distant campsites in the future.
Things I would of done differently: I would of brought the other solar panel to charge the Jackery quicker.
Thanks, that was great info. Ride on!

Meanwhile...

1621451428780.png

One of the derailleur pulleys in my Vado has worn out. As it is difficult for me to describe what the "wear" means in this case, I'll try to show a photo of the bad pulley once I have replaced it.

Question: What does everyone use for a rack for their Vado?

I have a Jeep Wrangler with the rear mounted spare tire. I bought a Sarris Freedom 2 bike hitch mount rack. But the bike will not fit in the inner most position, plus it’s heavy to have to life there. It will attach to the outside location with no issue, but per the Sarris company, the bike should not be on the outside position because then you are moving the weight further back and can cause an unsafe situation causing sway, like on a trailer. Is that something I need to worry about with a bike rack? It doesn’t seem like 60lbs or so moved about 6” to the outside would be a big deal. Otherwise I’m not sure of a solution other than to get a vehicle with no rear mounted tire. The bike rack with the wheel arms on them, I would not think would work with the Vado because of the fender..

Thanks!

I hope @Cap someone can help you with the advice (I'm transporting my Vado in a station-wagon...).

Regarding the derailleur pulley: My brother was wrong. It is very hard to do any damage to the excellent Deore XT pulley. The symptom was the tension pulley seemed to be stuck (could not rotate freely). Actually, it was covered with thick and hard layer of debris that looked as if the outer surface of the cog got damaged. In fact, good deep cleaning revealed the perfect shape of the part, and no issues with rotating it anymore.

What I am worried though is the erratically behaving chain (with the problematic link removed after it broke, and replaced with a Quick Link) that is still skipping above 6th gear even if the cassette and chainring appear to be in good shape. I feel the chain got somewhat bent making some link stuck. I would replace the chain -- ordered one indeed -- but it is hard to imagine how difficult it is to get a 11-speed, 126 link new chain nowadays! (The chain was replaced only 7 weeks ago and the stretch is minimal - what gets?)

And them brakes! It was not so long ago I had to replace brake pads in the front brake, now I need to do the same to the rear brake...

Reactions: Cap
Getting ready to head out to Austin, Tx to get my Vado or Como step through on Friday. It will be a 5-6 hr drive depending on traffic. I got my car sold at Carmax and I also need to deposit the check at a bank over there as well. I got my rental SUV booked and a place to stay. I just need to go to sleep.

On another note, I got my Thudbuster ST installed on my Specialized Sirrus bike. I did a short beer run and so far so good. I'll do a longer ride when I peddle over to get my SUV rental. I got the default medium rubber dilly bob in it when I'm supposed to have the firmer one since I'm a big guy (200+ lbs), but it feels fine as it is.

Last edited:
I hope @Cap someone can help you with the advice (I'm transporting my Vado in a station-wagon...).

Regarding the derailleur pulley: My brother was wrong. It is very hard to do any damage to the excellent Deore XT pulley. The symptom was the tension pulley seemed to be stuck (could not rotate freely). Actually, it was covered with thick and hard layer of debris that looked as if the outer surface of the cog got damaged. In fact, good deep cleaning revealed the perfect shape of the part, and no issues with rotating it anymore.

What I am worried though is the erratically behaving chain (with the problematic link removed after it broke, and replaced with a Quick Link) that is still skipping above 6th gear even if the cassette and chainring appear to be in good shape. I feel the chain got somewhat bent making some link stuck. I would replace the chain -- ordered one indeed -- but it is hard to imagine how difficult it is to get a 11-speed, 126 link new chain nowadays! (The chain was replaced only 7 weeks ago and the stretch is minimal - what gets?)

And them brakes! It was not so long ago I had to replace brake pads in the front brake, now I need to do the same to the rear brake...

How about leaving the Vado with Jacek for a few days? Might be interesting to see what he finds.
By the way, how many km/miles on your Vado?

How about leaving the Vado with Jacek for a few days? Might be interesting to see what he finds.
By the way, how many km/miles on your Vado?
Well. How to say. An unbelievable blunder from Jacek's side :D My fault, too. The vision of each of us is not what it used to be. When I was at Jacek's (and he discovered the broken chain link), I handed a Quick Link to him. He used it without any hesitation (and his thoughts were focused on repairing his own car once I would have left).

We are experiencing a rare warm and sunny day today. Meanwhile, I could buy some spare parts. So I drove with Vado to my homestead and gave any detail a closer look, using my smartphone's camera as a magnifying glass.

It was a 12-speed Quick-Link connecting an 11-speed chain! What a shame, haha! :)

Of course, replacing the wrong master link with the proper one (and oiling it a little) made my Vado healthy and silent again :)

Now: rear brake pads. To my biggest surprise, the pads were almost as new. Then I thought again... The adjustment screw at the brake lever (it operates the hydraulic piston) had been in completely wrong position... Adjusted.

There are no infallible people. And I'm very glad I learned a little :)

P.S. 7100 km.

Last edited:
Back