Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

@ Stefan Mike's. Turbo Vado 6.0 $4000.00 + Tax. Comes stock with Electrak 2.0 Armadillos. Has that BLOK display. (Upgradeable) Still that is pretty cheap for a class 3 Vado 6.0?

That's got miles on it, are they selling it as a new demo bike or used? Used bikes don't have the warranty transfer...

@ Stefan Mike's. Turbo Vado 6.0 $4000.00 + Tax. Comes stock with Electrak 2.0 Armadillos. Has that BLOK display. (Upgradeable) Still that is pretty cheap for a class 3 Vado 6.0?
A 2019 model (nothing wrong if brand new). BLOKS alone is not upgradable. A large Specialized conversion TCD-W set has to be applied (free with a valid warranty).

That's got miles on it, are they selling it as a new demo bike or used? Used bikes don't have the warranty transfer...
I didn't ask. It didn't appear to be used. All their Vados they sell come with 3 year warranty for motor battery and lifetime warranty for the frame. Even if it's refurbished (didn't appear to be) same warranty applies for new owner. According to the sells person the BLOK display wasn't a good selling point. So it's just sitting there on the floor. 11 speed class 3 powered with same battery was the Vados 5.0. Not sure about the motor. Also, the mechanic did a test ride on my Vado to make sure everything was smooth. He adjusted it for more suspension and wow I can really feel the difference. I never touched it before. I also had the tires inflated to 55/60 (front and back) for heavier loads.

Here are the specs:

It is not EU 6.0 but the U.S. one.

Can we clear up this posting?
Whose bike is being listed for $4k, Stefans or a similar one?
Does it not belong on the 'For Sale' heading? (ultimately)?
RE: "All their Vados they sell come with 3-year warranty for motor battery"
Where?
In the USA it's 2 years, correct me if I'm wrong.
Just want to be up to speed, not creating conflict.

I forgot to mention I had my wheel size returned to factory specs. 2255 mm. I read the reviews of the 6.0 seems that model was having some issues. Maybe that's why the Vado 5.0 took over as the flagship for Vados.

I forgot to mention I had my wheel size returned to factory specs. 2255 mm. I read the reviews of the 6.0 seems that model was having some issues. Maybe that's why the Vado 5.0 took over as the flagship for Vados.
Uh, I don't know. Mine is a 2017 EU 5.0. Specialized added a shock in 2018 and renamed the model to 6.0. 2019 saw replacing the 1.2s motor with 1.3 for the U.S. market and repainting the e-bike. The U.S. 2020 5.0 has almost the same specs as 2019 6.0, only different tyres and color.

If I would be assured by the LBS the BLOKS were replaced to TCD-W, I would have taken the plunge for the four grands.

In my case, I was misled by the LBS regarding the model-year but taking into account the future free overhaul to TCD-W and very good price, I have never regretted my decision to buy that e-bike.

Another test with the Jackery. It began charging the Vado at 171/172 w then increased as the charge went along to 179/180 w. Jackery battery depleted from 100% to 66% in 1 hour. (34%). The Vado went from 63% to 90%. (27%).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210322-121153.png
    Screenshot_20210322-121153.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot_20210322-111110.png
    Screenshot_20210322-111110.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 20210322_111138_HDR.jpg
    20210322_111138_HDR.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 20210322_121205_HDR.jpg
    20210322_121205_HDR.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 20210322_113409_HDR.jpg
    20210322_113409_HDR.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 216
Newest member checking in. I have a 2020 Vado 4.0 I just bought last week. It's replacing my Lectric XP as my daily commuter. I ride at least 13 miles a day (6.5 to and from work) and hope to increase that a little more to grocery duty and some more joy rides. I am primarily a mountain biker who lives in the Pacific Northwest on the dry side of Washington State. This is the 2nd Specialized bike in my fleet with my wife's 2009 Hardrock Sport Disc also in my garage. I've always been a huge fan of Specialized and grew up when the original Rockhopper and Stumpjumper were tearing up singletracks (with all their weird geometry and complete lack of suspension forks). I originally bought a 2020 3.0 but returned it for the 4.0 after deciding that a little more torque, a little more power, and the upgrade in components were worth the $500 price increase. The 3.0 was phenomenal and I would highly recommend it to anyone, even with the 1.2e motor.

Happy to join the club.

After doing the math. One Jackery 500 w battery pack at 100 % will apply 74 % charge to my Vado battery. That's 74 % usable. I found out the hard way awhile back that the last 6 % to 9 % the Motor will shut down giving no assist. The lights will work but that's it. $450.00 will get you 74 % charge in less than 3 hours using the fast charger. It's like you're taking your wall outlet with you. I was able to apply 45 % charge to my Vado from the 500 w supply unit in less that 1 1/2 hour. If you take into account the unusable 6 % or 9 % your getting 80 % or 83 % charge to the actual usable capacity of the Vado battery. During these Covid times I think it's a practical solution for range anxiety. A work around to increase your range, avoid getting stranded with no place to charge up or paying over $1000.00 for an extra battery. Also, an alternative method/strategy for increasing range than this 👇

After doing the math. One Jackery 500 w battery pack at 100 % will apply 74 % charge to my Vado battery. That's 74 % usable. I found out the hard way awhile back that the last 6 % to 9 % the Motor will shut down giving no assist. The lights will work but that's it. $450.00 will get you 74 % charge in less than 3 hours using the fast charger. It's like you're taking your wall outlet with you. I was able to apply 45 % charge to my Vado from the 500 w supply unit in less that 1 1/2 hour. If you take into account the unusable 6 % or 9 % your getting 80 % or 83 % charge to the actual usable capacity of the Vado battery. During these Covid times I think it's a practical solution for range anxiety. A work around to increase your range, avoid getting stranded with no place to charge up or paying over $1000.00 for an extra battery. Also, an alternative method/strategy for increasing range than this 👇
Yea, I really, really like her. I met her 5-1/2 years ago when I had my 1st iZip E3 Peak e-bike.

Attachments

• IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    712.7 KB · Views: 240
Interesting. Mine shut down at 6% for sure it didn't go any lower than this. But I think the motor actually cut out assisting at 9%. I was shocked because I was only a mile from home. I knew I had enough battery to make the mile. I was wrong.
In the range of less than 10 and above 5%, the assistance might be reduced but still existing. Actually, I discovered motor cutting at 5% as early as on 11th day of owning my Vado, and had to return on pedals for the last mile, too :)

Trust me, Giant/Yamaha is far worse in this respect. You cannot rely on the last 20% of the battery at all as the charge below that threshold disappears just after few kms ridden...

1616486494266.png

Giant AUTO mode left me powerless in torrential rain and lost off-road on that ride. (40 mi overall).

1616477981152.png

The last 9 km on pedal power (Giant Trance E+, 500 Wh battery).

1616478347483.png

I was very glad I managed to find my car...

Last edited:
Yea, I really, really like her. I met her 5-1/2 years ago when I had my 1st iZip E3 Peak e-bike.
Cool.
Final analysis. My math was off the last time. At a ratio of 27 to 34 =79%. 79% of 591w is 467 w rounded to the nearest w. Although the unit is specified at 518 w. 467 is all your going to squeeze out of 100 % charge from supply unit to your Vado. My Vado current capacity is 591 w. Taking in to account that the last 5% is unaccessible to riding assisted amounts to 467/562 your going to get 83% of the usable assisted capacity.
Brand new battery ordered online from LBS is going to cost you a little over $1100.00 U.S currency taxes/shipping and handling included. That's just for the battery. If you want the cover to match your bike that's going to be an additional cost if it can be matched. Definitely there is the advantage of simply pulling over and exchanging batteries. Also, it's a lighter load then carrying battery supply unit. Not significantly though to where the weight will affect the range.

Bottom line you're going to have carry that Specialized 4a charger with you to fast charge your Vado up to 467 w. At less than $1.00 a w. At close to 1% per minute. (1%>1.4%). Both have to be charged before leaving. With the supply unit you'll have to pull over somewhere for 1 hour (depending on your need) or less than 3 hours to get everything out of your battery unit. Today was windy. My trip distance was little over 31 miles with 1157 elevation gain. I was in Sport/Turbo the entire time. I took two breaks. One for coffee and one for lunch. Total charge time 1 1/2 hours. I arrived home with 39% battery remaining in my Vado. And 46% battery remaining in my battery pack. I was carrying a 40 pound load the entire way. My average speed was 15.5 mph. Eventually, I'm going to buy a spare battery. For now this a practical work around for me. I haven't gotten around to solar panel testing yet. I'm going to wait until I get the second Rockpal 100 w panel and do the test with them running parellel to see what I get. I'll report my findings when I do.

Thank you Kam for posting this wow amazing lady and setup.

Back