Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Here's some pics, if you want some shots in particular happy to take more!

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_122828931.jpg
    IMG_20210213_122828931.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20210213_122820286.jpg
    IMG_20210213_122820286.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_20210213_122813923.jpg
    IMG_20210213_122813923.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20210213_122804476.jpg
    IMG_20210213_122804476.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 268
It is quite interesting these tyres behave flawlessly on ice but can slip on fresh or loose snow... No grip at all!

It is quite interesting these tyres behave flawlessly on ice but can slip on fresh or loose snow... No grip at all!
I think that's more attributed to tire width rather than tread pattern. Wider tires displace more weight and aren't as likely to be pushed around in snowy ruts. I think from a commuting perspective the 27.5x2.6 Ice Spiker Pro is the best of all worlds. If you want to trail ride a wider, fat bike makes a huge difference.

Vado Assistance Levels on Group Ride with Traditional Long-Distance Cyclists

Let me share some experiences after a group ride with seasoned cyclists. The distance involved range from a metric century to 82 miles (132 km) depending on the participant. A gravel bike, a road bike, two hardtail MTB, and Speed Vado took part. The terrain ranged from urban bike-paths/MUP to road, gravel and nasty winter off-road. The ride was either with significant tailwind or against massive headwind. My experiences:
  • The pack was riding rather slowly downwind in the city. I had to reduce the ECO assistance down to 30/30% but could even go as low as 25%
  • When the group rode onto suburban asphalt roads (tailwind), they were riding even as fast as 36 km/h. To keep the pace, I needed to increase the ECO assistance to 45/45, and often had to switch to 60/60 Sport mode
  • Max grade on the trip was 9.4%. I cleared it in 75/75% Turbo mode. The youngest cyclist asked: "Did you legs hurt on the ascent? Because mine really hurt". My answer was: "Not at all; I was just spinning in low gear. If I used maximum assistance, I would be just accelerating uphill :)"
  • The return leg led right into massive headwind. Vado had no problems with that. I led the pack and they were drafting behind me. It soon turned out even 45/45 ECO was too much! The group would ride at 15-17 km/h (around 10 mph) and Vado tried to ride much faster! It was easy to lead the peloton at, say, 22 km/h but getting below 18 km/h was just painful (no resistance on the cranks - "ghost" pedalling). What a surprise!
  • A riding partner told me I hadn't closed my pannier on the last group stop. I shouted through the wind "Ride on! I'll catch up with the group!" I stopped, get off Vado, closed the pannier, and spent a while on BLEvo to increase the Turbo mode assistance to 100/100. And my Vado spurted into headwind at 33 km/h (more than 20 mph)! It was so easy to catch up with the pack, which was still struggling against the wind...
I won't never regret choosing my Vado for that ride. It turned out to be the most flexible and best fit for varying ride conditions. It even handled muddy/frozen/melting forest road!

The only thing I would like to have is Cruise Control: Let us say, I set the Speed to 16 km/h, and Vado would provide only as little assistance as to help maintaining the speed...

Sounds like a fun ride.
Maybe the Lovelec next time?
It's generally not a flexible e-bike. I would experience problems to actually ride slowly when necessary. On the other hand, Lovelec is far from being perfect upwind. Well, I might give it a try. I suggested the group a ride for March 14th, 70+ miles in my neighbourhood, asphalt roads only. Two men and a female roadie would come with their road bikes. Now, Lovelec is a stable runner over long distances. It just travels at constant speed 30-32 km/h at normal conditions. A tad too slow downwind, a tad too fast upwind. While I know I could do anything I want with the Vado at 45-50% assistance with two batteries :)

It's generally not a flexible e-bike. ...snip ... I know I could do anything I want with the Vado at 45-50% assistance with two batteries :)
I think that about covers it, the Vado will do anything at 50 percent power and 2 batteries will push it beyond 100 miles at 50 percent on roads and good trails ... now if it wasn't for that pesky liscence plate on the back ...

I think that about covers it, the Vado will do anything at 50 percent power and 2 batteries will push it beyond 100 miles at 50 percent on roads and good trails ... now if it wasn't for that pesky liscence plate on the back ...
Unfortunately, not at higher speeds and with strong winds. I did 75 miles safely twice on two batteries in the summer. What was specific about those rides was mild wind. It would be doable to make 100 miles in case of greatly reduced speed. Unfortunately, the Merry Gang people tend to ride pretty fast ;) Also, you need more assistance on cold weather.

The thing I'm certain about is Vado lets the rider plan the range perfectly. It is Mission Control/Smart Control as the ultimate safety measure. Yet, anything up to 75 miles at 45% assistance and 1200 Wh is doable except racing :)

Regarding the number plate: It seems the pack accepted me after I helped them riding upwind. A funny anecdote:
We're waiting with the gravel-cyclist Przemek at the train stop for the rest of the group. Staszek, a competing cyclist rode up first.
-- Meet Stefan -- Przemek introduced me -- I met him first at the train this morning! He's rides an electric.
-- Pleased to meet you Stefan. Good we have you here. You could help us drafting upwind... :D
-- I knew it before! -- I exclaimed :)

If an e-biker is accepted by roadies, it is because of the drafting capability... :D

My experience with Vado after a month. During this period I ride about 500km.
The level of assistance at ECO is set at 35% and I use this mode constantly. The exception was the other day in strong wind (45kh / h) when I switched to Sport (50% level of assistance)
I ride on the open road daily route about 20-30km.
The average speed along the route is mostly from 26km / h to 29km / h.
With one battery charge I cover two routes, max 60km.

The level of assistance at ECO is set at 35% and I use this mode constantly. The exception was the other day in strong wind (45kh / h) when I switched to Sport (50% level of assistance)
During the warm season you will be able to ride up to 80 km at 35% assistance. But only in case you use "Turbo Vado/Como Tune" and set the Maximum Power to 35% as well.

Welcome. Do you ride flat lands or hills ? And which Vado? Sorry if I missed that.

Back