Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I’d like to hear from Vado riders with 25km/h restricted bikes. Or those who use Eco mode mostly ( I know settings can vary)

Since I had my Vado 5 with 1.3 motor updated to 7.1.1 the natural feeling in power delivery is gone. This is most noticeable at lower speeds.
My Eco settings used to be 35/35 or 30/30 and I was really happy with that power and also natural feeling. Now with 7.1.1 the power assist is ”overly pushy”. I don’t know how to desribe it really. The bike reacts in an over sensitive way and power consumption has increased.
If I set support to 20 and peak power to 30 or 35 I can sort of ”tame” it and I get back to for me more normal power consumption.
Specialized Rider Care ( Nordic ) answered my mail with questions about this new firmware but their description of changes made in 7.1.1 was that it was e.g. made less sensitive to ” bumps and pedal strokes”. My experince is the opposite.

My impressions may not be obvious for riders who usually have your settings higher or use standard Sport or Turbo mode most of the time.
Any thoughts? Please tell me if you have experienced anything new/different after updating to 7.1.1
( 20 -22°C and sunny. I’ll go for a ride now)

Any thoughts? Please tell me if you have experienced anything new/different after updating to 7.1.1
( 20 -22°C and sunny. I’ll go for a ride now)
I received 7.1.1 a couple days ago as the result of having the motor replaced. I've only ridden it twice since then, but I also thought that I noticed a difference in smoothness, especially at slower speeds or lighter pedal pressure. It seemed to have more surging than I recall from my previous pre-replacement rides. I was mostly in Eco, which I had set down to an assist level of 15. Also mine is a U.S. 28mph-limit bike.

Being new to the Vado/Specialized world, I can't speak for any previous comparisons, however, it's much different from the Bosch on my previous Super Commuter and Allant.
Did 24 miles this morning, mostly in Eco, a few bursts with Turbo, and I'm either in good shape or the bike loves me as much I do it ❤️

I received 7.1.1 a couple days ago as the result of having the motor replaced. I've only ridden it twice since then, but I also thought that I noticed a difference in smoothness, especially at slower speeds or lighter pedal pressure. It seemed to have more surging than I recall from my previous pre-replacement rides. I was mostly in Eco, which I had set down to an assist level of 15. Also mine is a U.S. 28mph-limit bike.
Thanks for your comment.
Surge is probably the the word I was looking for. In addition to what I described in previous post I think that the crank wheel spins for a longer time now after a pedal stroke. Not sure about this though.
Strange it is.
15 as support level is a little low for me. 20 seems to work for now and I set peak power to 35 today.

Last edited:
Being new to the Vado/Specialized world, I can't speak for any previous comparisons, however, it's much different from the Bosch on my previous Super Commuter and Allant.
Did 24 miles this morning, mostly in Eco, a few bursts with Turbo, and I'm either in good shape or the bike loves me as much I do it ❤
I’ve always thought that the Vados have a lot of power even in Eco mode. Had a 2018 Vado 4 (1.2 motor) and now a 2020 Vado 5.

In addition to what I described in previous post I think that the crank wheel spins for a longer time now after a pedal stroke.
Aha! I noticed that too and could feel the extra "lag" in power delivery whenever I stopped pedaling, which is why I looked down at it in the first place. Definitely different from previous behavior, although probably just takes some getting used to since I was accustomed to the earlier version.

. . . In addition to what I described in previous post I think that the crank wheel spins for a longer time now after a pedal stroke. . . .

I'm riding a 2020 Turbo Como 5.0 and have also noticed the crank wheel spinning after a pedal stroke. It takes about 1.5 seconds to stop. That's a long time to wait to down shift gears while going up a hill. Anyone know if that lag time can be adjusted?

I'm riding a 2020 Turbo Como 5.0 and have also noticed the crank wheel spinning after a pedal stroke. It takes about 1.5 seconds to stop. That's a long time to wait to down shift gears while going up a hill. Anyone know if that lag time can be adjusted?
I doubt it. Anyway, the crank has to be moving in order for the gear to actually change since that's what moves the chain from one sprocket to another. It's mainly that you don't want to be mashing on the pedals when this is happening.

I doubt it. Anyway, the crank has to be moving in order for the gear to actually change since that's what moves the chain from one sprocket to another. It's mainly that you don't want to be mashing on the pedals when this is happening.
Problem I'm finding is that shifting gears before the crank wheel stops turning results in noisy protest form the cassette gears. A second and a half doesn't seem long but forward momentum takes big big hit when doing this whilst going uphill.

Problem I'm finding is that shifting gears before the crank wheel stops turning results in noisy protest form the cassette gears. A second and a half doesn't seem long but forward momentum takes big big hit when doing this whilst going uphill.
I too noticed that the bike was shifting differently after the change, but I'll have to wait until I get out on it again to experiment with shifting, etc.

No Vado ride today! 100 degrees here in Oregon, hope folks were able to get out this weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_134011496.jpg
    IMG_20200726_134011496.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 287
101 here.
Still. Not a breath of air.
Spooky.
Did 5 miles to store, bought a 6 pack.
Sat under deck cover with ceiling fan, wife, dogs.
Barbecued some chicken.

Just joined the forum today, hi everyone! I've had a Como 5.0 and Vado 5.0 US versions for a few weeks (wife and self), software version 5 is installed. The question is, should I get the upgrade to V7.1.1, or is the surging a sufficient interruption that I should stay with original V5 and wait for the next upgrade? I personally don't like the way the Vado mashes the gears in higher power modes unless you almost completely back off pedal power, which is tough to finesse while going uphill. If V7 provides a bit more motor support to allow smoother downshift during a longish hill climb, I think that would be appealing.

Attachments

• VadoComo.JPG
    VadoComo.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 294
101 here.
Still. Not a breath of air.
Spooky.
Did 5 miles to store, bought a 6 pack.
Sat under deck cover with ceiling fan, wife, dogs.
Barbecued some chicken.
Pretty hot in Sacramento recently. Mornings aren’t bad with delta breeze. Commuting to office (15 miles) with laptop and lunch in tow. Racktime trunk bag helps!

Attachments

• 202E10EE-D212-4EAB-9811-562B1ECB1367.jpeg
    202E10EE-D212-4EAB-9811-562B1ECB1367.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I'll say ditto to the previous 5 posts. Today is my first day on this forum and it's hotter than heck here in Corvallis, OR. Got out for an early ride and escaped the worst of the heat. My wife and I picked up two Vado 5.0 about two months ago. We are enjoying these bikes more than expected. She's currently wearing a cast and so I've been riding solo for a month.

I celebrated my 68th birthday 10 days ago and our son sent me a 203 mm front rotor and adapter. I swapped the 180 mm rotor and adapter to the back. The installation was easy. I suspect that the braking advantage will only be noticeable on long descents. It can't hurt. The weight gain on this tank of a bike certainly won't be felt.

Attachments

• SAM_3360.JPG
    SAM_3360.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 280
  • SAM_3363.JPG
    SAM_3363.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 299
Just joined the forum today, hi everyone! I've had a Como 5.0 and Vado 5.0 US versions for a few weeks (wife and self), software version 5 is installed. The question is, should I get the upgrade to V7.1.1, or is the surging a sufficient interruption that I should stay with original V5 and wait for the next upgrade? I personally don't like the way the Vado mashes the gears in higher power modes unless you almost completely back off pedal power, which is tough to finesse while going uphill. If V7 provides a bit more motor support to allow smoother downshift during a longish hill climb, I think that would be appealing.
My opinion is that you don’t want motor support while shifting and I don’t find 7.1.1 better for shifting while applying pressure on pedals.
Stop pedaling just a little bit longer and shift earlier.
I want 5.0.4 back in my Vado. Felt more natural.

I'll say ditto to the previous 5 posts. Today is my first day on this forum and it's hotter than heck here in Corvallis, OR. Got out for an early ride and escaped the worst of the heat. My wife and I picked up two Vado 5.0 about two months ago. We are enjoying these bikes more than expected. She's currently wearing a cast and so I've been riding solo for a month.

I celebrated my 68th birthday 10 days ago and our son sent me a 203 mm front rotor and adapter. I swapped the 180 mm rotor and adapter to the back. The installation was easy. I suspect that the braking advantage will only be noticeable on long descents. It can't hurt. The weight gain on this tank of a bike certainly won't be felt.
Vado 5.0 feels weightless in Power 1 mode. But turn power to zero and boy does it ride ugly/heavy!! I tested a Creo before buying the Vado and while they are totally different machines unpowered, once the power kicks in they are more similar than different.

Vado 5.0 feels weightless in Power 1 mode. But turn power to zero and boy does it ride ugly/heavy!! I tested a Creo before buying the Vado and while they are totally different machines unpowered, once the power kicks in they are more similar than different.
I find the same thing. I think that is what 20+ lbs. feels like, and fat tires.

I have the same situation on climbing hills. Can't really shift without a lot of sound out of the drive train while in higher power mode, and losing momentum if quit pedaling. I just go to a bigger rear gear prior to the hill, spin, and hit the power button on the way up. Use the different power modes as another shift mechanism.

Back