Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

The update on my Vado. Got a phone call from the workshop on last Friday. The bike had been successfully upgraded to the TCD-W and the guy wanted to know if I agreed to replace the chain and the cassette (as those had worn out he said). Well, some 1000 miles on the odometer, can't remember exactly. I said yes and he replied he had to get the work order from his manager. I knew I wouldn't get the Vado soon so I wrote to the manager and told him I would like to pick up the Vado on the coming Tuesday.

They replaced old parts with the upgrade pack in 100% meaning I lost the 600 lm headlight. What a mess. More and more disillusioned with Specialized. The video of the upgrade procedure clearly showed you re-use the old lamp.

Cannot wait to recover my Grizzle!
Stefan, I trust that the shop will at least return tour original 600lm light to you!? So now you have the 205lm light?

Stefan, I trust that the shop will at least return tour original 600lm light to you!? So now you have the 205lm light?
It seems so, Tim. The mechanic had to perform the current display replacement procedure to a iota. The manager promised "returning all of your old parts that we don't need to destroy" two weeks ago and it is on his whim to return the old light or not. He already knows I hate his organisation and is aware I'm his lost customer. If I ever bought anything from Specialized again, that would be another LBS and another workshop for future warranty services.

Fancy that Tim, so you'll understand why I'm fuming: It is a relatively small organisation running six LBS (Specialized and Trek). They behave as a corporation, with work orders issued, bureaucracy, slow and inefficient but arrogant. The mechanic could have replaced the drive-train within an hour but he could not do anything without a work order; at the same time the manager who is at another location seemed not to be at work (during the working hours).

Now let us compare it to the Bikeman, running three stores in Warsaw, all carrying Giant only (and Ortlieb, Topeak. Tubus etc). They have been in operation since 1995 growing from a single LBS to three. The salesman nicknamed Perry was a young mechanic in Bikeman when they started. I know a guy who has been working there for 10 years until he moved out of Warsaw. Friendly, professional, helpful people.

P.S. Bikeman sell many e-bikes. I could see two of them prepared to be picked up by customers when I was there.

There was a couple of senior people there, customers. The husband wanted the Giant Roam bike, and the wife did all the talking and payment. It turned out the Roam the man wanted was available in another Bikeman store. Perry said "Don't worry, we'll sort that out" and after a phone call he agreed with the couple they would drive to the other LBS before the rush hour started, even if Perry initially said the bike would be assembled on the next day.

I picked up my bike and after a talk with the other salesman it turned out they didn't have the stem riser for sale. I got into the car and called my brother who works in Warsaw for advice. Jacek told me to give a phone call to the other Bikeman LBS, which I did. Yes, they had the part and were waiting for me. To my surprise, I met the very same couple at that LBS. The Roam was ready and the wife was just paying.

That's a good service! No wonder Bikeman stores are buzzing with activity when the skleprowerowy.pl LBSes are empty.

Ah, I wrote to a salesman in Bikeman if he could order a display for my Giant. He ordered it immediately. I have been waiting for 7 months for the TCD-W with Specialized.

Last edited:
It seems so, Tim. The mechanic had to perform the current display replacement procedure to a iota. The manager promised "returning all of your old parts that we don't need to destroy" two weeks ago and it is on his whim to return the old light or not. He already knows I hate his organisation and is aware I'm his lost customer. If I ever bought anything from Specialized again, that would be another LBS and another workshop for future warranty services.

Fancy that Tim, so you'll understand why I'm fuming: It is a relatively small organisation running six LBS (Specialized and Trek). They behave as a corporation, with work orders issued, bureaucracy, slow and inefficient but arrogant. The mechanic could have replaced the drive-train within an hour but he could not do anything without a work order; at the same time the manager who is at another location seemed not to be at work (during the working hours).

Now let us compare it to the Bikeman, running three stores in Warsaw, all carrying Giant only (and Ortlieb, Topeak. Tubus etc). They have been in operation since 1995 growing from a single LBS to three. The salesman nicknamed Perry was a young mechanic in Bikeman when they started. I know a guy who has been working there for 10 years until he moved out of Warsaw. Friendly, professional, helpful people.

P.S. Bikeman sell many e-bikes. I could see two of them prepared to be picked up by customers when I was there.

There was a couple of senior people there, customers. The husband wanted the Giant Roam bike, and the wife did all the talking and payment. It turned out the Roam the man wanted was available in another Bikeman store. Perry said "Don't worry, we'll sort that out" and after a phone call he agreed with the couple they would drive to the other LBS before the rush hour started, even if Perry initially said the bike would be assembled on the next day.

I picked up my bike and after a talk with the other salesman it turned out they didn't have the stem riser for sale. I got into the car and called my brother who works in Warsaw for advice. Jacek told me to give a phone call to the other Bikeman LBS, which I did. Yes, they had the part and were waiting for me. To my surprise, I met the very same couple at that LBS. The Roam was ready and the wife was just paying.

That's a good service! No wonder Bikeman stores are buzzing with activity when the skleprowerowy.pl LBSes are empty.

Ah, I wrote to a salesman in Bikeman if he could order a display for my Giant. He ordered it immediately. I have been waiting for 7 months for the TCD-W with Specialized.
It's unfortunate the local Specialized dealership has lost you as a dedicated customer. I picked Specialized over Giant for the superior quality LBS service we've received for years for our mech bikes. You have been forced to do the opposite. Your frustration is obvious. I do sympathize with you.

Ride on.

Tim, exactly as I thought. The manager replied he would have to destroy all old parts including the 600 lm light. They will also charge a lot of money for the drive-train replacement. Instead of telling me to bring the spare battery for reprogramming on Monday so I could collect it together with the bike on Tuesday, he tells me to bring the battery on Tuesday to collect it on Wednesday. As if software update took 24 h.

You understand there will be no second chance for them.

Tim, exactly as I thought. The manager replied he would have to destroy all old parts including the 600 lm light. They will also charge a lot of money for the drive-train replacement. Instead of telling me to bring the spare battery for reprogramming on Monday so I could collect it together with the bike on Tuesday, he tells me to bring the battery on Tuesday to collect it on Wednesday. As if software update took 24 h.

You understand there will be no second chance for them.
Very frustrating.

... the guy wanted to know if I agreed to replace the chain and the cassette (as those had worn out he said). Well, some 1000 miles on the odometer, can't remember exactly.
First chain? And then the cassette is worn out, too :oops: ? Please check the mileage.

It's common that the cassette is worn after 2-3 chains.

Just dropped my bike at LBS to get a new chain. 2,000 miles and park tool told me it was stretched.
Also asked to update the firmware. A bit nervous about this as last time the firmware was updated the bike started having issues with motor not responding which ended up with a new motor. 🤞🤞
I also checked out the new Levo Comp....me wanteeeeeeeeeee. Wife killeeeeeee
Only $6,000

Just dropped my bike at LBS to get a new chain. 2,000 miles and park tool told me it was stretched.
Also asked to update the firmware. A bit nervous about this as last time the firmware was updated the bike started having issues with motor not responding which ended up with a new motor. 🤞🤞
Only $6,000
So, get the wife the ebike of her choice and you're good to go for the Levo...😎

Your LBS didn't happen to explain the TCD-W anti-theft feature did they?

So, get the wife the ebike of her choice and you're good to go for the Levo...😎

Your LBS didn't happen to explain the TCD-W anti-theft feature did they?
I did remember to ask but everyone had masks on and soooo busy. He was running around. He said he can’t keep the Levo in the shop. They are flying and people buying them.
Wife does not ride solo anymore. Age related I guess. We had a nice Cannondale tandem and we got too old, grumpy, and weak for that so we sold that. The other option for her to ride is electric tandem. But I will not get my Levo that way. If she decides to get a solo electric bike I will buy a Vado for her in a minute if that gets me To my Levo and I will keep my Vado.
I will ask when I pick up the bike.

Last edited:
@Nxkharra, if you only can, do the demo ride of the Levo Comp against Giant Trance E+ 3 Pro (the E+ 1 Pro doesn't offer the features you would find necessary but it is $5600 against $4500). You know the Levo Comp was my dream but it isn't anymore. I'm enchanted with my Trance E+ 2 Pro (unavailable in the U.S.).

Interesting fact is that the Levo is a far taller bike than the Trance is (it comes from the rear suspension design). It is far easier for me to get onto the Trance. And when I realise how much money I saved on that perfect e-MTB, you can see a big grin on my face ;)

It would be also good for you to check how the battery is removed and replaced in both bikes. In the Trance, you unlock the battery with a key but the battery still stays in the place. You "click" a little latch at the battery top and it slides down into your hands. Better, when you are replacing the Trance battery, you just align the bottom of it with the harness, a slight hand movement and... the battery has clicked into the place as if it did it itself. A miracle!

@Nxkharra, if you only can, do the demo ride of the Levo Comp against Giant Trance E+ 3 Pro (the E+ 1 Pro doesn't offer the features you would find necessary but it is $5600 against $4500). You know the Levo Comp was my dream but it isn't anymore. I'm enchanted with my Trance E+ 2 Pro (unavailable in the U.S.).

Interesting fact is that the Levo is a far taller bike than the Trance is (it comes from the rear suspension design). It is far easier for me to get onto the Trance. And when I realise how much money I saved on that perfect e-MTB, you can see a big grin on my face ;)

It would be also good for you to check how the battery is removed and replaced in both bikes. In the Trance, you unlock the battery with a key but the battery still stays in the place. You "click" a little latch at the battery top and it slides down into your hands. Better, when you are replacing the Trance battery, you just align the bottom of it with the harness, a slight hand movement and... the battery has clicked into the place as if it did it itself. A miracle!
The key word(a) is “unavailable in US”

A friend new to eBike is looking at Giant Explore E+ 3 and asked my opinion. US$2,500. Entry level I think.
what do you think @Stefan Mikes
Yes that's an entry level bike which doesn't mean that's a crap. The 400 Wh battery is what you have paid for. Giant EnergyPak batteries are compatible and your friend could negotiate the upgrade to the 500 Wh battery. The real problem with Giant bikes is one model looks beautifully while another seems ugly and cheap because of the way it was painted. Your friend has to see the bike in person.

Back