Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

@BarryS: my past decision to Ignore you was right. You seem to not be able to understand the written word. I wrote "US$5050 including tax". Since Polish tax (VAT) is 23%, the net discounted price of that e-bike is US$3888. The RRP (before tax) is US$4320. The U.S. RRP is US$4350. Which part don't you understand?
Differences:
  • 29" wheels in the EU version, 27.5" in the U.S. version
  • 50 mm of travel suspension fork in the EU version, rigid fork in the U.S. version
  • 2" tyres in the EU version, 2.3" tires in the U.S. version.
And the Recommended Retail Price of both e-bikes is the same.

The EU assistance speed limit for regular e-bikes is 25 km/h (15.5 mph).
Hey man No problem . I forgave you for that long time ago . Are we talking about the same Bike ? Vado 5 in US has 700 MM Tires that's 29 inches right ? Retail is 4300 USD . Tire width I think you are right there . Hey take care : Don't worry about Responding . I'll do my best to avoid asking you anything :)

Are we talking about the same Bike ? Vado 5 in US has 700 MM Tires that's 29 inches right ?
We are talking about Como. Not Vado.
Como 5.0 Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
For those with Velosurance or those thinking about getting it. Today I used road side assistance. The guy came and picked me and my bike up in a hugh flatbed.🤣 From the time of my call it took about 45 minutes for him to arrive. We used strap clamps, a blanket and a towel to keep the Vado from getting scratched. Aside from the flatbed being overkill, the ride was smooth from my home to the lbs. Bike is getting cleaned, wheels trued, derailleur lubed and adjusted, both brakes adjusted and bolts checked and tightened to specs. $150.00. Probably won't be ready for a couple days due to COVID-19 slowing everything down.
I know someone was curious about how it would work. Well, today I found out. Everything went smooth. Once you put in your phone number they connect you to a local tow service. I'm sure my neighbors were like what the hell? 🤣 That's ok, served its purpose and didn't cost a penny.
Reviewing a lot of posts over the last few days to fill the void.
Saw this, commenting:
I've had Velosure for almost 4+ years, super good protection would never think of not having it.
However, my 1st experience with an on the road service call was a disaster, walked home 3+ miles with a flat after waiting 1+ hours for rescue from Velosure when called again for the 3rd time was clueless as to how to proceed, what to do, etc.
Anyway, $100 in gift cards to make it better soothed the pain afterward.
2nd time I had to use them for the totalling of my Allant 9S+, so the bottom line is: If you don't have the coverage, you are on your own.

Rode my first long trip today on my new 2020 Como 4 on an asphalt rail trail near Chillicothe OH.

Rode 36.4 miles in ECO only and used 55% of battery capacity. The Como 4 has a better range than I expected. Plenty of assist in ECO for most of the trails I’ll be riding.

The ride quality is so much better than my previous bike, a 500W rear hub drive Aventon Pace 500 with a cadence sensor.

I made the right move!
I am looking either the Como 4 or 5. You seem to ride like I do (in ECO mode) , so I am pleased at the range you got. Have you had any input from the range of your bike? Also, have you had experience with hills? The 5 has better range and torque.

I am looking either the Como 4 or 5. You seem to ride like I do (in ECO mode) , so I am pleased at the range you got. Have you had any input from the range of your bike? Also, have you had experience with hills? The 5 has better range and torque.
I ride a Vado 5 that has the same motor, battery, and gearing as the Como 5 so range and hill climbing ability will be comparable. I live and ride in a very hilly little town and get ~36 miles to a charge using ~16WHr/mile. My wife rides slower, weighs less and gets more mileage; into the low 40s. My average ride around the countryside involves ~2400' of climbing. Last SAT I did 47 miles and 4,900' using 1.4 batteries. YRMV.

On more gentle routes range is much greater. On California's Monterey Bay trail we used just 40% of battery power to ride 32 miles. Again, YRMV.

This is the steepest hill I have climbed;
0629201247_Film1_20201117102503951.jpg

As I've said, YRMV.

Does anyone with Turbo Vado 5.0 U.S. versions have these firmware for motor/display? I was looking around for reports from others who got the notice and updated but didn't see any.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210201-150516.png
    Screenshot_20210201-150516.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Screenshot_20210201-150435.png
    Screenshot_20210201-150435.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Screenshot_20210201-150422.png
    Screenshot_20210201-150422.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Screenshot_20210201-153416.png
    Screenshot_20210201-153416.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 241
Unbelievable. I'm the only person in the entire U.S. with a Turbo Vado 5.0 that got these updates?

Well let me warn those who are thinking of upgrading to new display/motor firmware. Taking my bike to the lbs local for main shop pickup. Pedaling unassisted is over for flat terrain. Turning off the battery seems to free it up but who wants to do that. Also, the firmware has reset my bike as a "class 1" so it seems I can get 21.5 mph (GPS) in 11th gear Turbo flats. Display shows 19.5 when the motor cuts out. Also, the range is greatly diminished now. The good news is since they screwed it up with update. (Specialized) They have to fix it. I do know that you can't undo this firmware and revert to the old firmware. Thanks to BLEvo it gave me a heads up to the problem. It appears the firmware update is for E.U version LEvo. Once I excepted the warning in BLEvo. The MPH changed from 15.5 mph max to 17.9 mph max. And this was possible through "Default Specy" found in BLEvo app profiles. Bad news is i'm going to be missing my bike 4 or 5 days while their main headquarters troubleshoots the issue. Motor was fine, battery was fine, display was fine before the firmware updates to display and motor.

Unbelievable. I'm the only person in the entire U.S. with a Turbo Vado 5.0 that got these updates?

Well let me warn those who are thinking of upgrading to new display/motor firmware. Taking my bike to the lbs local for main shop pickup. Pedaling unassisted is over for flat terrain. Turning off the battery seems to free it up but who wants to do that. Also, the firmware has reset my bike as a "class 1" so it seems I can get 21.5 mph (GPS) in 11th gear Turbo flats. Display shows 19.5 when the motor cuts out. Also, the range is greatly diminished now. The good news is since they screwed it up with update. (Specialized) They have to fix it. I do know that you can't undo this firmware and revert to the old firmware. Thanks to BLEvo it gave me a heads up to the problem. It appears the firmware update is for E.U version LEvo. Once I excepted the warning in BLEvo. The MPH changed from 15.5 mph max to 17.9 mph max. And this was possible through "Default Specy" found in BLEvo app profiles. Bad news is i'm going to be missing my bike 4 or 5 days while their main headquarters troubleshoots the issue. Motor was fine, battery was fine, display was fine before the firmware updates to display and motor.
Let me understand. Your LBS updated the firmware(s) on the bike and now it has reverted to a Class 1? Without combing through the forums, where are you located? Were you one of the 1st to get this update (as far as you know)? And, they applied Levo firmware to a Vado?
Very unusual and disturbing.

Kam is from CA. As I can understand, Kam's Vado has been updated with the latest firmware by the LBS, making the e-bike behaving strangely. Most disturbing.
(Don't mix Levo into that. Kam mentioned BLEvo, the app, not Levo, the e-bike.)

Kam is from CA. As I can understand, Kam's Vado has been updated with the latest firmware by the LBS, making the e-bike behaving strangely. Most disturbing.
(Don't mix Levo into that. Kam mentioned BLEvo, the app, not Levo, the e-bike.)
Thanks. I saw " It appears the firmware update is for E.U version LEvo." That's why I'm curious how ANY competent, trustworthy, reliable LBS could do such a stupid thing. Everyone is entitled to make a mistake. Man, I'd eat that alive for 'compensation' and an 'appeasement gift' from them. Unacceptable, unless the mothership mislabeled it (which doesn't excuse it). As an analogy, the same stupid mistakes happen every day I'm sure in almost any profession, so how do we validate, verify, assure ourselves of the competency of things in general? This is why some (??) don't agree with me when I push the envelope. I've ranted on before in the Trek forum about a previous experience with my Trek LBS inefficiencies and I'm just saying. I guess that is why lawyers get rich, people screw up.

I saw " It appears the firmware update is for E.U version LEvo."
Ah, OK. My bad.
That's all related to quality of given LBS. After not the best experience I had with one of Specialized LBS in Warsaw, I discovered the Specialized Brand Store (which is a new thing in the city). The people at the SBS are from different tale. They have focused on selling e-bikes and understand them. Anytime I visit the SBS Warsaw, I'm delighted with them. And I know that if I were to buy yet another e-bike, that would be a Specialized. Just because of that store quality and attitude.

Let's wait to see what develops at Kam's.

Shouldn't the LBS reset your Vado to Class 3?
I talked over the phone to headquarters. I explained another Specialized dealer did the upgrade. He was familiar with the dealer and shop. Said they were solid people. I agree. I think the LBS just followed the instructions given by Specialized. The local LBS and I have bad blood. That's why I took it to another Specialized shop for the update. Long story but documented somewhere in Specialized forum. From what I can tell the update was only offered to my bike U.S or otherwise for Turbo Vados 5.0. That is strange in itself. BLEvo is detecting my bike as a LEvo now with the option to derestrict according to wheel size. Apparently wheel size was changed during update as well. Headquarters is going to pick my bike up per my request at their LBS in this area and deal with my situation personally. They are aware of my history with the LBS manager. It's an inconvenience for sure. I am confidant when my bike is returned it will be restored to Class 3. How that will be accomplished, is up to them to figure out. Once again, the shop that performed the update were very kind people.

Thanks. I saw " It appears the firmware update is for E.U version LEvo." That's why I'm curious how ANY competent, trustworthy, reliable LBS could do such a stupid thing. Everyone is entitled to make a mistake. Man, I'd eat that alive for 'compensation' and an 'appeasement gift' from them. Unacceptable, unless the mothership mislabeled it (which doesn't excuse it). As an analogy, the same stupid mistakes happen every day I'm sure in almost any profession, so how do we validate, verify, assure ourselves of the competency of things in general? This is why some (??) don't agree with me when I push the envelope. I've ranted on before in the Trek forum about a previous experience with my Trek LBS inefficiencies and I'm just saying. I guess that is why lawyers get rich, people screw up.
I think this screw up origins is from MC/Specialized most likely.

I think this screw up origins is from MC/Specialized most likely.
Good luck, be sure to keep us in the loop.
Is it only the Levo getting updated or do you know for a fact that the Vado is also eligible for an update?
And, do you have any specifics as to what the actual updates will be providing?
Thanks.

Good luck, be sure to keep us in the loop.
Is it only the Levo getting updated or do you know for a fact that the Vado is also eligible for an update?
And, do you have any specifics as to what the actual updates will be providing?
Thanks.
Specific to Turbo Vado 5.0. What are your firmwares now motor,display, battery? (7.1.1, 13.4, 7.3.4) Those were mine prior to the update. Facts? I'm not sure what those are anymore. Apparent facts to some is out right lies to others. You can view the screenshots of the firmware updates. My advice would be to avoid them if you get notifications from MC. That's solely based on my experience. Another person's might be different.

I test ride the Vado 6 around July 2019. Fell in love but the price prevented me to pull the trigger (my wife was totally against spending that much in a bike).
I needed an ebike as I live in a hilly part of San Diego and couldn’t complete the rides coming home and climbing due to knee injury.
I proceeded to purchase another ebike from a company located in San Francisco (around $2500). Loved the ebike ride in general but my heart was with Vado 6. Finally I couldn’t wait and put the ebike for sale and was lucky to be able to sell it after 2 months without loosing too much money (not easy to sell ebikes I learned).
I quickly ran to the dealer where I had tried Vado 6 in Sept 2019. By then they were offering 2020 Vado 5. I pulled the trigger this time and I have never been this happy.
it really is like ridding a bike but stronger.
My other ebike was like operating a machine. The power, noise level, battery, look, and .....
I love everything about this bike. I have about 1,400 miles since Sept 2019.
I had an issue where the motor would stop assisting for a split second periodically and had to take it to the LBS. they changed the control unit (monitor) and I have been problem free since.
Recently I replaced the seat post to a Kinekt aluminum and after getting used to the new feel the rides are even smoother ❤️❤️
Hi Nxharra, I’m from San Diego too! I see you made it to the top of Mr. Soledad. I’m curious did you have to put the Vado on the highest setting to climb Mt. Soledad? If yes, did the bike feel a little underpowered for that kind of ride? My friends want to do all 5 routes up and down Mt. Soledad. But I’m not sure if my bike has the torque do it. Your bike has more torque (90 vs my 70) and more assistance (410% vs my 280%). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
I've played with my wheel circumference and watched the tech do it on the computer. When the screen comes up there is a toggle that allows either class 1 or class 3. I remember telling the tech not to touch that one:).

FYI my U.S. bikes

Current Update

Vado 5
7.3.4 7.3.4
7.1.1 7.4.1
13.4.0 16.4.0

Como 5
7.20.0 7.20.0
7.1.1 7.4.1
13.4.0 16.4.0

That's a big jump on the one update. Spec needs to identify what the updates are so we can make the choice. I didn't update:). My stuff is working great and I'll let someone else be the guinea pig. Wonder why the discrepancy on the two batteries. Wonder what would happen if I switched batteries and updated the Como battery to the Vado number.

Hi Nxharra, I’m from San Diego too! I see you made it to the top of Mr. Soledad. I’m curious did you have to put the Vado on the highest setting to climb Mt. Soledad? If yes, did the bike feel a little underpowered for that kind of ride? My friends want to do all 5 routes up and down Mt. Soledad. But I’m not sure if my bike has the torque do it. Your bike has more torque (90 vs my 70) and more assistance (410% vs my 280%). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I have done it several times. It depends on how strong rider you are I had my bike mostly on sport mode and some even eco. I did use turbo on occasion. I am an average rider with knee issue so I am conservative not to push.
I think any ebike Would do fine in Solidad.
Good luck and enjoy. It is a great ride.

Last edited:
I've played with my wheel circumference and watched the tech do it on the computer. When the screen comes up there is a toggle that allows either class 1 or class 3. I remember telling the tech not to touch that one:).

FYI my U.S. bikes

Current Update

Vado 5
7.3.4 7.3.4
7.1.1 7.4.1
13.4.0 16.4.0

Como 5
7.20.0 7.20.0
7.1.1 7.4.1
13.4.0 16.4.0

That's a big jump on the one update. Spec needs to identify what the updates are so we can make the choice. I didn't update:). My stuff is working great and I'll let someone else be the guinea pig. Wonder why the discrepancy on the two batteries. Wonder what would happen if I switched batteries and updated the Como battery to the Vado number.
Just by your input you've cleared up something that has plagued another Vado 5.0 user. I believe he liked your post. He was complaining that his battery was stuck at 7.20.0 while a number of Vado 5.0 users U.S. were at 7.3.4. According to headquarters there are some unhappy campers that updated their LEvos as well. Walk mode was disabled by the update along with the way the power is "smooth" as opposed to what it was before.

Back