Specialized Turbo now vs. Stromer ST2 later

Thanks Roadrash3 for the reassurance, my thinking was inline with yours when I pulled the trigger yesterday on a black turbo. The shop where I bought it shared the specs of the two new and cheaper versions but like you I decided to go all in. Especially since commuting makes this bike pay for it self (my commute, between driving and taking the bus, is anywhere from $200 - $400 per month). Also, I'm a mountain biker and bought this bike add to my conditioning. The idea that ebikes are for lazy people is misguided, I plan to cruise to work in turbo so I don't sweat and return home with no juice to get my workout in. There were no black ones in stock so I had to order mine from Specialized. I have to wait 10 working days for it to arrive. Please feel free to share more about your experience on the turbo to help me through the waiting period!
Congratulations, the Turbo S is a well-built well-integrated bike. As my education grows, I am learning the difference between purpose built and hybrid bikes. I want/need some assist but appreciate the rolling resistance (or lack thereof) of sleek road bikes. While I enjoyed the sturdiness and comfort of the Stromer products and believe they have much wider appeal, the Turbo S is first and foremost a fast road bike. I'm not sure if I made a mistake but I too, was enthralled by the ease with which fast road bikes move. Since I am on a limited (meaning welfare) income budget, I bought the Neo Carbon with upgrades for half the price of a Turbo. I rode both side by side and it was really tough to place a dollar value on the small difference. The carbon ride quality was less hard edged.

At any rate, we witnessing the birth of e-bikes, so most of us will probably upgrade in a few years to the next latest and greatest thing. I

I had not seen the neo carbon till now, i hope they continue to advance this market and make things more affordable. The trouble around my area, there is not really a market and i can't find dealers selling any of this stuff, except for mikes bikes which sells the stromer and the turbo, however, i will not shop through them, they don't offer any discounts or bargain at all. They act more like a corporate business then a neighborhood bike shop, so i go through my other real LBS

Sounds like you are a fellow SF Bay Area rider. Best e-bike shop in the area is New Wheel. Motostrano (Redwood City) has a good supply along with ELV Motors in Sunnyvale. But none of them carry the Turbo S. New Wheel carries the Kahlkoff/Focus product lines which are really very nice but there is such limited distribution at this time. I believe that e-bikes will see two distinct sales channels: the dedicated e-bike retailer, and the corporate reseller that offers fleet sales but has no retail. Fun watching a young industry take off.............

Yup Bay area, I am in the east bay though, so that is quite a trek to redwood city or sunnyvale, but good to know thanks, i will keep those places in mind. I think if the prices were more affordable and the sales channels were much better, this market would take off. People are just unaware of the options and the price is high. My first bike was about 7 years ago i think, a electrek bike i bought online from nycewheels. It was fun, but also topped out at 20mph, which i like the turbo will go to 28mph. it was a very cheap bike with a battery on the frame. Worked but commute changed and i sold it. I am glad to be back with this new bike, what a upgrade.

Congratulations, the Turbo S is a well-built well-integrated bike. As my education grows, I am learning the difference between purpose built and hybrid bikes. I want/need some assist but appreciate the rolling resistance (or lack thereof) of sleek road bikes. While I enjoyed the sturdiness and comfort of the Stromer products and believe they have much wider appeal, the Turbo S is first and foremost a fast road bike. I'm not sure if I made a mistake but I too, was enthralled by the ease with which fast road bikes move. Since I am on a limited (meaning welfare) income budget, I bought the Neo Carbon with upgrades for half the price of a Turbo. I rode both side by side and it was really tough to place a dollar value on the small difference. The carbon ride quality was less hard edged.

At any rate, we witnessing the birth of e-bikes, so most of us will probably upgrade in a few years to the next latest and greatest thing. I

That Carbon looks pretty sweet to me, not sure how you could go wrong with that. Seems like an excellent choice. And the adaptor for the phone sounds pretty cool. I struggled with the Turbo being more than I needed as a commuter but I have the budget and couldn't help but geek out the little refinements. I was only really considering 3 bikes, the Turbo, the Neo and the Stromer.

I had not seen the neo carbon till now, i hope they continue to advance this market and make things more affordable. The trouble around my area, there is not really a market and i can't find dealers selling any of this stuff, except for mikes bikes which sells the stromer and the turbo, however, i will not shop through them, they don't offer any discounts or bargain at all. They act more like a corporate business then a neighborhood bike shop, so i go through my other real LBS

I also live in the bay area, Sausalito. I bought my Turbo at Mike's bikes here in town and you're right, they are tough when it comes to negotiating. Where did you end up buying your Turbo and were you able to negotiate a better price?

Hey guys! My name is Brent Meyers and I am the National Sales Manager for Stromer US. I've really enjoyed reading your comments and appreciate your enthusiasm for the category. We are launching the ST2 at Interbike (September) and you'll have all the information you've been waiting for as soon as the show starts. It's an amazing bike that really redefines how/what people think of electric bikes. I've seen some chatter about the ST1 vs some competing bikes. There are plenty of good e-bikes out there and my advice is to compare battery capacity (range), motor wattage (power), design (integration of electronics) and warranty. In doing so, you should be able to determine where you get the best bang for your buck. Stromer is running a promotion right now and I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of it. If you buy any ST1 (Elite or Platinum) from an authorized dealer, you'll receive your choice of an additional 11.5 amp battery or a city kit (front and rear fenders, integrated light system and rear rack) free of charge. Please inquire with your local authorized dealer. Thanks!

The ST2 will retail for $6990. This includes a lifetime subscription to the GSM service, integrated lights, fenders and rack. Battery is 48V 814WH. Please see our website for complete specs. Thanks.

And the power delivery on the ST2 is butter smooth and significantly more powerful than the ST1's.

I'm quite happy with my Stromer Elite and will probably keep it until 2017... Am thinking about building an off road Ebike for 40 lbs

Interesting comments all around. ST2 is certainly in a class of its own and we're excited to deliver in March. It's a premium bike and performance (range, speed, power, connectivity, etc) should always justify cost.

Back