Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

i swapped mine out too, but for a much lighter SRAM 10-42 (XG-1195) version, which required changing the driver too. also LOTS of weight savings in the driver too. a nice option if you want to reduce weight and also get 10% taller top gear. or you can shrink your chainring and keep the top end the same but get more low end.
Which XD driver and spacer did you go with??

I have to admit, bike repair or swapping parts of not my thing. But by DRIVER, you don't mean the derailleur???? I would not mind giving my Creo and ME a bit better advantage on some of Seattle's hills.

I have to admit, bike repair or swapping parts of not my thing. But by DRIVER, you don't mean the derailleur???? I would not mind giving my Creo and ME a bit better advantage on some of Seattle's hills.
the “driver” is the notched cylinder that the cassette goes around. it screws or latches into the hub. different standards are for different types of cassettes etc.

When using the Range Extender with Mission Control set to deplete Range Extender first, I notice that when Range Extender gets down to about 5%±, the motor shuts off, rather than reverting to the main battery. When I restart the motor it keeps shutting off. I have then had to stop and unplug the Range Extender to utilize the main battery. Is this normal?

When using the Range Extender with Mission Control set to deplete Range Extender first, I notice that when Range Extender gets down to about 5%±, the motor shuts off, rather than reverting to the main battery. When I restart the motor it keeps shutting off. I have then had to stop and unplug the Range Extender to utilize the main battery. Is this normal?
I think someone posted the other day that there may be an UPDATE for the Range Extender that addresses the issue (or I could mis-remember). Unfortunately, the update has to be done by the shop and has to be accompanied by the entire BIKE.

Yea, I have had the same issue, but assumed it was my derestrict chip interfering with it. I am in UK with 15.5MPH limit on Ebikes, so the de-restrict is useful. I don't tend to use the range extender much as can get 100 miles + from a fully charged battery. Only use it on big rides, or short 30 milers where the main battery needs a top up

Yea, I have had the same issue, but assumed it was my derestrict chip interfering with it. I am in UK with 15.5MPH limit on Ebikes, so the de-restrict is useful. I don't tend to use the range extender much as can get 100 miles + from a fully charged battery. Only use it on big rides, or short 30 milers where the main battery needs a top up
Thank you.
I am in the USA so my Creo is not derestricted.
I do wonder if others have observed the same issue as described above, with motor turning off (rather than switching to main battery) when RE is depleted. This necessitates getting off the bike to unplug the RE.

Thank you.
I am in the USA so my Creo is not derestricted.
I do wonder if others have observed the same issue as described above, with motor turning off (rather than switching to main battery) when RE is depleted. This necessitates getting off the bike to unplug the RE.
I have had it happen the one time I had set to USE RANGE EXTENDER FIRST. It was a bit maddening. On an uphill, behind a friend and suddenly the bike lost power. I had to stop. I fiddled with the up/down to not avail. I turned it off/on also to no avail. Meanwhile my friend was powering away. I then dismounted, UNplugged the extender and restarted and all was well, other than the chase! ;)

After that I set it back to USE BOTH in parallel.

As I wrote above, I think an update might address the issue.

I have two RE batteries purchased about one year apart so the firmware of the batteries are at different levels. The older battery shows a firmware update is available. I normally ride with "Fully Discharge Extender Battery First? OFF" but for a double century this summer, I rode with this setting in ON. I started the ride with the newer RE battery and it shut down when the charge dropped to minimums. The older RE battery would either shut the bike off or display an error code until it was disconnected. I was riding as much as possible in the power off mode so I did not actually see when the RE battery shut the power off. It was when I restarted the bike it gave an error code until I stopped and disconnected the RE upper connector. One RE shows firmware level at 0.3.14 in Mission Control and the current version is 0.3.14 and the other is at 2.3.10 with an update to 2.3.14 available. I will take the older RE battery when or if I take the bike to a shop for a firmware update.

Note - I don't particularly like the RE first mode since there is a period of time where it is in the "battery saver" mode and only allows minimum assistance until it shuts off or is disconnected.

I have two RE batteries purchased about one year apart so the firmware of the batteries are at different levels. The older battery shows a firmware update is available. I normally ride with "Fully Discharge Extender Battery First? OFF" but for a double century this summer, I rode with this setting in ON. I started the ride with the newer RE battery and it shut down when the charge dropped to minimums. The older RE battery would either shut the bike off or display an error code until it was disconnected. I was riding as much as possible in the power off mode so I did not actually see when the RE battery shut the power off. It was when I restarted the bike it gave an error code until I stopped and disconnected the RE upper connector. One RE shows firmware level at 0.3.14 in Mission Control and the current version is 0.3.14 and the other is at 2.3.10 with an update to 2.3.14 available. I will take the older RE battery when or if I take the bike to a shop for a firmware update.

Note - I don't particularly like the RE first mode since there is a period of time where it is in the "battery saver" mode and only allows minimum assistance until it shuts off or is disconnected.
Allan, my sentiments exactly, as to your last sentence. Not ideal when the Range Extender (RE) battery saver mode kicks in while climbing. I would have expected that when the RE becomes depleted the transition to the main battery would be unnoticeable. I will be setting Mission Control to not fully discharge Extender Battery first.

Allan, my sentiments exactly, as to your last sentence. Not ideal when the Range Extender (RE) battery saver mode kicks in while climbing. I would have expected that when the RE becomes depleted the transition to the main battery would be unnoticeable. I will be setting Mission Control to not fully discharge Extender Battery first.
It has to be this way to protect the RE battery. They would need something in the firmware to detect which way the mode is set and a different set of code for the alternate discharge condition. This RE accessory is used on different bikes and it can be used without the main battery for travel. It's better to keep it simple.

That does make sense.
Also, are you saying you can travel (fly) with the RE? Carry-on or checked baggage?

It is my understanding you can fly with the RE's as carry-on due to their capacity being under the limit but I have not done it. Lithium batteries may not be in checked luggage.

CELL IMBALANCE ISSUE
For my 3 year old Turbo Creo SL I am getting an error message on Mission Control that says "The battery pack has detected a cell imbalance" and that "The bike will stop at higher state of charge (20%)" and that "The battery pack will slowly degrade until a permanent failure will be triggered." Also, when charging, the charging stops at 78%, so that I cannot charge to anything higher than 78%. Attached is screenshot of the Mission Control error message.

I called Specialized and was told to have LBS run diagnostics. LBS ran diagnostics and said that "cell imbalance" means my internal battery has naturally degraded from use. I guess that means that like most batteries, it is just wearing out and will eventually die. LBS also said I can keep riding and the only downside is that I will continue to degrade the battery until it will eventually need to be replaced, but that continuing to ride will not harm the motor. LBS said out of warranty internal battery replacement is about $1,000.

Has anyone else encountered this "cell imbalance" error message on Mission Control? If so, have you observed any consequences other than not being able to charge higher than 78% and motor cutting out when battery gets down to 20%? Also, I assume (and hope) that the 78% and 20% limits can be compensated for by a range extender.

Comments will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230619_164942_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230619_164942_Gallery.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
CELL IMBALANCE ISSUE
For my 3 year old Turbo Creo SL I am getting an error message on Mission Control that says "The battery pack has detected a cell imbalance" and that "The bike will stop at higher state of charge (20%)" and that "The battery pack will slowly degrade until a permanent failure will be triggered." Also, when charging, the charging stops at 78%, so that I cannot charge to anything higher than 78%. Attached is screenshot of the Mission Control error message.

I called Specialized and was told to have LBS run diagnostics. LBS ran diagnostics and said that "cell imbalance" means my internal battery has naturally degraded from use. I guess that means that like most batteries, it is just wearing out and will eventually die. LBS also said I can keep riding and the only downside is that I will continue to degrade the battery until it will eventually need to be replaced, but that continuing to ride will not harm the motor. LBS said out of warranty internal battery replacement is about $1,000.

Has anyone else encountered this "cell imbalance" error message on Mission Control? If so, have you observed any consequences other than not being able to charge higher than 78% and motor cutting out when battery gets down to 20%? Also, I assume (and hope) that the 78% and 20% limits can be compensated for by a range extender.

Comments will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Not had it but fully understand it. Inside the battery is the BMS (battery management system) and this works out and equal charge / discharge across all the cell in the battery. Should one cell go bad, then the BMS can have a hard time compensating for this and hence the reduced charge to protect the other cells. Lithium battery are a fire risk and hence this being over cautious. I managed to pick up 3 spare batteries on Ebay for cheap money, so keep an eye out on there

Not had it but fully understand it. Inside the battery is the BMS (battery management system) and this works out and equal charge / discharge across all the cell in the battery. Should one cell go bad, then the BMS can have a hard time compensating for this and hence the reduced charge to protect the other cells. Lithium battery are a fire risk and hence this being over cautious. I managed to pick up 3 spare batteries on Ebay for cheap money, so keep an eye out on there
The batteries you bought on Ebay, were they specialized turbo creo internal batteries or range extenders?

The batteries you bought on Ebay, were they specialized turbo creo internal batteries or range extenders?
Internal batteries. They were sold as untested, as you needed a Creo or Levo to test them. I got 4 batteries in total and 3 worked. One have 5 charge cycles, the next had 8 and the other had 40. The dead one I split open in an earlier post to show the quality cells inside. Was going to re-pack it, but Specialized batteries already use top class cells. Paid £30 for each battery I think

Back