Specialized e.g. Turbo Vado: Tap 36 volt from battery cable for lightning possible?

PeterNY

Region
Europe
Hi,
I would like to connect a 36 volt 35W light directly to the battery cable, running to the motor of a Specialized Turbo Vado.
Actually, the motor is supplied with this voltage. The current consumption of which will of course be increased due to the branching to the lamp.
I don't know how capable it is of controlling the current.
I am unsure if this could cause warning messages or at worst a defect.
Does anybody have experience with this?
(Model 5.0 IGH 2023)

Thanks 😊

I sure the motor has light connections you dont want to run directly from the battery. Plus you would have no way to turn the light on and off.

Yes, you are right. There is an output connector for light. But it is limited to 24W (12V, 2A)
I know that I would have to switch the light off manually or have to use a relay for that, driven by the light port.
I am just worried, if the battery checks the current consumption of the 36V, some kind of security check to detect a leaking.
I want to be sure, before I buy the lamp, which costs 460$.

Yes, you are right. There is an output connector for light. But it is limited to 24W (12V, 2A)
I know that I would have to switch the light off manually or have to use a relay for that, driven by the light port.
I am just worried, if the battery checks the current consumption of the 36V, some kind of security check to detect a leaking.
do you need that much light? thats a lot of light unless your riding off-road but then you want. helmet mounted light. I use this guy and now I can go 19mph in the complete dark and not blind others. far better than any more normal light even one that did 1200 lumins. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ion-bes3-front-light/p/41377/?colorCode=black

You are right- luxury problems :)
I have found a report from somebod, who tried the same. The engine switched off, as soon as he switched the light on.
Damn! ;-)

Be careful. There is only one Vado 6.0 model that supports high power light output. The light is Supernova M99 Pro (€464,09) that provides:
1685945495154.png

However, that light must be served by a compatible motor:
  • Specialized 1.2s or Brose TF, or
  • Bosch Performance Line Speed
I am afraid that tapping into the battery is just asking for trouble and a straight way to invalidate your warranty or even fire. If you must have a strong headlight, just buy a rechargeable battery external headlight such as CatEye Volt 1700.

You are right- pro and con is quite clear against the idea.
… and additionally I would have bought a 460€ 36V lamp, which I could not use.
Thanks for your option.

Back