Specialized Creo SL Fender, anyone?

etgo

Region
USA
Anyone installing a fenders with their Creo?
Aside from DRY-TECH Fenders, what other brand and model you guys can recommend?

Anyone installing a fenders with their Creo?
Aside from DRY-TECH Fenders, what other brand and model you guys can recommend?
Roadies use the blade type of fenders that are mounted with zip-ties (or by clips). The reason is no roadie wants to increase the weight of their bike.

See the most respected brand:

Both rear and front road oriented mudguards exist. Besides, the clip-on blade fenders belong to road and gravel cycling because of their looks :)

It depends on the size tire you are running, what type of riding, your local weather conditions and your preferences. If you are riding by yourself the ass-savers may be good enough. I am riding with groups in wet conditions and most of us prefer not to be sprayed with cold water by the bike in front of us so fenders with a mud flap in the rear is strongly encouraged. Some people use clip-on fenders but they always seem to have issues unless inspected regularly so I don't like them.

I am using 42mm Pathfinders and I don't have enough clearance for a front fender and the wide frame section has provided the same protection. I'm using a modified plastic fender in the rear that is cut to end just past the seat stays but still extend far enough down the back to support a mud flap. If you have carbon Creo and you don't use or fit the Dry-Tech fenders you need a Diverge special part to provide the upper attachment. I have a wired light mounted to the rear fender so mine is a "permanent" installation. I think clearance for a fender should be about 15-20mm above the tire to allow for debris. There will be a lot more debris in winter or wet riding.

If you have a tire size that fits the Specialized Plug + Play Fender Set v2 will be the easiest to fit since there are accommodations for them on the Creo. They accommodate up to a 30mm tire but may be hard to find.

This is a decent UK article on fenders aka "mudguards" and the differences between them. I may not necessarily agree with the product recommendations but it's a good overview.

Since I don’t want permanent fenders, I slap these SKS versions on whenever I feel the need requires it. They can be installed and removed quite easily and remain solidly on the bike during rides.

https://sks-us.com/collections/fenders/products/raceblade-pro-xl-fender-set-fits-700-x-25-32

I’ve also heard good reviews/comments about the Speedrockers which will fit up to 42C wider gravel tires.

IMG_20201015_1349244 (2).jpg

Since I don’t want permanent fenders, I slap these SKS versions on whenever I feel the need requires it. They can be installed and removed quite easily and remain solidly on the bike during rides.

https://sks-us.com/collections/fenders/products/raceblade-pro-xl-fender-set-fits-700-x-25-32

I’ve also heard good reviews/comments about the Speedrockers which will fit up to 42C wider gravel tires.

View attachment 109203
So, the Raceblade are easy on/off? This Fall has been heck on the weather and my bike is getting creamed, although, gritty creamed is more like it. I don't generally ride in the rain but our streets are not drying out and that leaves enough moisture to create messy conditions with road schmutz. Actually, the active rain the other day worked better washing off the gunk a bit better!

Have you protected the finish (Scotch stuff) where the bands wrap around the frame parts? Another question - the other day my riding companion did not want to get close as the rooster tail of water made her keep her distance. Does the rear fender prevent that or it is too short?

Of course, I do have the complication on the rear where I've attached a cafe lock that a fender probably won't navigate. Mulling as I see REI has them in stock...

Thanks for all your comments guys..

@ Prairie, is this the model Raceblade Pro XL Fender Set Fits 700 x 25-32 you installed with your creo?
Went to SKS website, too many models.. Don't know which model will perfectly fit with creo..

@ Prairie, is this the model Raceblade Pro XL Fender Set Fits 700 x 25-32 you installed with your creo?
Went to SKS website, too many models.. Don't know which model will perfectly fit with creo..
It MIGHT be this one:

I ordered it and it is ready for pickup. But I'm trying to overcome the inertia to go for my first cross-country ski of the season today. Could pick it up on the way home.

Yes, those are the ones. They work quite well in a pinch. Once the Allen bolts are adjusted to fit the angles of your frame/wheel it’s just a matter of cinching the rubber straps against the rear seat stay and front fork brackets.

The Speedrocker is one that I currently have my eye on since I swapped the stock tires over to wider gravel tires.

I ordered it and it is ready for pickup. But I'm trying to overcome the inertia to go for my first cross-country ski of the season today. Could pick it up on the way home.
We just received a dump of snow and I'm trying to overcome the inertia of shoveling the driveway and front walks and then go out for a ride. It's cold here too....-27C wind chill. Here's hoping that you get out on your planks. 👍

sWashington wins (thi time) over Canada... ;-)

I also can recommend the Speedrockers if you need good&semipermanent fenders. The protection is really good (much better than with the usal quick&easy MTB fenders) but on the other hand you need about a minute to install them each time. I wouldn't like to install or deinstall them each day, but once a week (a rainy week followed by a dry week, followed by a rainy week, etc.) it's fine.

But I personally do not use them anymore. The wide lower tube already helps a lot and when it's wet I got often stuck in the mud/wheels did not spin anymore with pounds of mud between fenders what happens less without fenders. But my Creo is only for sport/free time rides in bicycle pants and mostly offroad. Allday to my office with good clothes would be different...
If you pass accidently here in Germany/Frankfurt, you can get them for free for some good(!) bars of chocolate, eeeh, gas... ;-)

I bought a set of the specialized ones that allegedly fit the bike and it was such a pain to even think about installing them that I gave up and just got soaked in the rain. not recommended. I’ve torn down and reassembled car engines and computers and drones and I honestly did not see myself installing those fenders, they didn’t seem to even come close to fitting, and special parts that allegedly came with the bike are required, plus drilling. no thanks. clip on ones sound good for those who don’t want to get wet on a rainy day!

Speedrockers are extremely popular amongst gravel cyclists.
I had to return mine. They would not fit in combination with my Rack's struts and my cafe lock. The local shop found a rather narrow set of fenders that they installed for me. Unfortunately, not easy on, easy off. I'd have to debate a while before deciding to remove them as Spring/summer roll around.

Back