"Specialized Confusion". Changing a Class 1 Bike to a Class 3 Bike On the Fly?

timacn

Hello. I was told that with some ebikes, notably Specialized Turbos, you can effectively "change" the bike from a Class 1 machine to a Class 3 machine or vice versa merely by pressing a button on the bike. Another person told me that this change can be done but it has to be done by a Specialized dealer who must hook the bike up to a computer to make the adjustment. Anybody know what the truth is with this? Are there any other bikes besides Specialized that allow you to switch between classes? (The feature might be useful if you want to limit the speed of your 28mph Class 3 machine when on a bike path posted for a max speed of 20 mph.) Thanks for your help with this.

Another person told me that this change can be done but it has to be done by a Specialized dealer who must hook the bike up to a computer to make the adjustment.
This. The dealer is hold responsible by Specialized for not fiddling with the Classes but only to make certain the given Turbo e-bike meets the Class requirements*. (In Europe, a "speed" e-bike (L1e-B, roughly Class 3) is specially designed to meet the legal requirements and appropriately equipped, also marked with a Vehicle Identification Number in several places.

Are there any other bikes besides Specialized that allow you to switch between classes?
No. At least no respected manufacturer does it. Class is class.
---------------
*) Sometimes it happens a U.S. Turbo e-bike is wrongly set to the EU speed restriction. That can be fixed by the dealer.

Back