Specialized 4A & 2A charger experience

Marcela

Hello, bought a Vado 5.0. Came with the 2A charger, their website spec'd a 4A charger so went back to the LBS and they switched it out for a 4A.

With the 2A it of course was slower charging, the display lights up immediately with the % charge and local time.

With the 4A, there is a delay of the display coming up, sometimes quite a while so I unplug it and replug, then it will come up. Of course the charging is faster. This morning I charged to 81%, unplugged the charger, then knew I would be going to the LBS to explain the differences, and when I plugged the 4A charger back in it showed 100% charge.

Took the 4A back this morning and exchanged for the original to me 2A charger. We plugged both in at the LBS and they both showed same % charge though with the 4A the display took longer to come up and remain lit. The 2A of course displays immediately.

Normal experience?

Hello, bought a Vado 5.0. Came with the 2A charger, their website spec'd a 4A charger so went back to the LBS and they switched it out for a 4A.

With the 2A it of course was slower charging, the display lights up immediately with the % charge and local time.

With the 4A, there is a delay of the display coming up, sometimes quite a while so I unplug it and replug, then it will come up. Of course the charging is faster. This morning I charged to 81%, unplugged the charger, then knew I would be going to the LBS to explain the differences, and when I plugged the 4A charger back in it showed 100% charge.

Took the 4A back this morning and exchanged for the original to me 2A charger. We plugged both in at the LBS and they both showed same % charge though with the 4A the display took longer to come up and remain lit. The 2A of course displays immediately.

Normal experience?
I purchased a 2A from eBay for travel thinking that it is much lighter and smaller. Same size and weight almost. It just takes twice as long to charge. I have kept it to carry for longer rides to eliminate range anxiety.
domt know much about the issues you mentioned as I haven’t used the 2A much.
my 4A sometimes shows the % of charging status while charging and sometime it does not. The screen comes up quickly.
Also use these for my 2020 Vado 5.0

Please send pic of your 2A.
I couldn’t find it on specialize site. They said the don’t make them anymore.

The 4A charger (I own two of them) starts charging with a very short delay.

It’s prob an older one the lbs had sitting around. Looks just like the 4a only about half the size. .
@Marcela . You are correct. Originally I left lbs with 2A charger. It was very light and about half the size of 4A that I exchanged it for. lbs mistakingly gave me the wrong charger initially. 2A took forever to charge. 4A charges quickly but is heavier and almost 2x the size of 2A charger.

The 4A charger (I own two of them) starts charging with a very short delay.
I have two 4 amp chargers. The reason for that is that my first Vado was stolen.
Now I have to buy a summer house or a second home so that I have somewhere to keep my extra charger.
I also need to win the lottery before buying a house:D

Figured the 4A might have a built in delay, good to know if I use it again. Think I'll stay with the 2A and plan ahead a little better. Doesn't heat up as much as the 4A and figure might be easier on the batteries. Maybe Spec made the 2A initially as that is what was better or designed for, and everybody complained about the slow charge time.

Still doesn't explain why I saw 81% charge with the 4A, unplugged and plugged back in and showed 100% charge. Even went for a ride and it started the countdown from 100%.

The electronics of today is a sort of mystery. One of my Vado batteries is only 97% healthy. When fully charged, the bike display shows 99%. After switching the bike on and off, 100% is displayed.

"Whatever works - works" 😊

@Marcela . You are correct. Originally I left lbs with 2A charger. It was very light and about half the size of 4A that I exchanged it for. lbs mistakingly gave me the wrong charger initially. 2A took forever to charge. 4A charges quickly but is heavier and almost 2x the size of 2A charger.
My 4A and 2A weigh the same at 1.1 pounds excluding the wall side wire (including bike side wire). 2A is smaller in size.
originally I was hoping for a much lighter 2A to carry in my bag but I was told the old 4A chargers had a built in fan which made it much heavier that is why Specialized offered the lighter 2A as travel charger. But when the new lighter 4A was introduced there was no need for 2A and they stopped making it.
I still keep the 2A for longer rides just to eliminate range anxiety.

Attachments

• BEA8E5E7-C41B-48BE-976E-D517C9082183.jpeg
    BEA8E5E7-C41B-48BE-976E-D517C9082183.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:
Figured the 4A might have a built in delay, good to know if I use it again. Think I'll stay with the 2A and plan ahead a little better. Doesn't heat up as much as the 4A and figure might be easier on the batteries. Maybe Spec made the 2A initially as that is what was better or designed for, and everybody complained about the slow charge time.

Still doesn't explain why I saw 81% charge with the 4A, unplugged and plugged back in and showed 100% charge. Even went for a ride and it started the countdown from 100%.
FWIW - Lithium battery specs include what is called a 'C' rate. This can be thought of as the maximum current that should be drawn from the battery. Specialized doesn't share this spec with the users but for most lithium chemistries 'C' = battery capacity in watt hours (Whr) / voltage. For the Vado 5 'C' = 604Wh/36V = 16.8Amps max recommended current draw.

How does this relate to charging? For most lithium chemistries the max charge rate = 'C' x 0.5-1.0. So conservatively the Vado 5 battery could be charged at 16.8ampsx0.5 = ~8Amps without ill effects. The 4 amp charger can thus be viewed as ultra conservative, probably a compromise between charge time, cost and size/weight.

Stay safe. Stay healthy. Ride on.

My other e-bike (non-Vado) uses 2 A charger for its 576 Wh battery. The charging time is 9 1/2 hours, effectively eliminating that bike from multi-day touring (with charging at motels/hotels). With the Vado and the 4 A charger, the charging time is 4+ hours and that's a very practical figure.

Interesting conversation regarding the 2A and 4A chargers. My Creo came with a 54.6V, 3A charger (model SBC-C06). Perhaps it's the best of both worlds. ;)

Back