Specialized 4A & 2A charger experience

Thought it interesting, was spying Bafang stuff, the charger they use for the 750 & 1000W batteries is the 2A, they offer what they call a quick charger, of 3A.

Makes me wonder if the contacts from battery to bike and within the batteries themselves are up to the task of handling 4A or even more that some are using. Some are reporting infrequent hiccups in their setups while riding.

For example, this place I have uses 20A wiring, the electrician wanted to use 15A wall sockets cause he didn't see spending extra on the 20A sockets for no reason. Well, the 15A sockets couldn't handle the additional amps and would trip the circuit breaker. Changed to 20A sockets and no problem.

Maybe the 4A charger is stressing the connections.

Not. The Rosenberg charging socket is good. The only reason for Specialized to have the 2 A charger is the history; the 4 A charger is newer. Same as the outdated BLOKS display against the new TCD-W.

Thought it interesting, was spying Bafang stuff, the charger they use for the 750 & 1000W batteries is the 2A, they offer what they call a quick charger, of 3A.

Makes me wonder if the contacts from battery to bike and within the batteries themselves are up to the task of handling 4A or even more that some are using. Some are reporting infrequent hiccups in their setups while riding.

For example, this place I have uses 20A wiring, the electrician wanted to use 15A wall sockets cause he didn't see spending extra on the 20A sockets for no reason. Well, the 15A sockets couldn't handle the additional amps and would trip the circuit breaker. Changed to 20A sockets and no problem.

For the Vado's 36V battery to provide the nominal 250W motor output the battery contacts need to provide amps = watts/volts = 7 amps, disregarding efficiencies. The motor peak power is higher so the current draw can easily be 10 amps in Turbo mode. Running 4 amps charging current into the battery won't be an issue for these same battery contacts.

BTW - you had to have had some type of wiring error with your wall sockets. Being passive devices they won't trip a breaker by themselves. Replacing them corrected the wiring error. The electrician did follow code in installing 15A rated receptacles on a 20A rated circuit. Ref the attachment.

Attachments

• LowellPlugs.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 971
Product Features of the Rosenberger ROPD connectors - found on Rosenberger homepage :
  • Magnetic locking mechanism
  • 4 pins for data communication and 2 pins for power transmission
  • 100% self-location
  • Shallow mounting depth
  • Waterproof and robust
  • Shock and vibration proof
  • Reliable contact pressure and zero-force mating
  • Current: 10A, 30A, 40A
  • Voltage: flexible 12V - 60V
  • Waterproof IP 67 / IP 65 plug, IP 64 / IP 67 jack (mated connection)
  • UV resistant
  • Mating cycles: > 2500

@Marcela
No, the 4A charger isn't stressing the connections.

Ok, so bought a charger from Amazon that seems to work on my Espin Sport. It says it is 4a 48v. The cooling fan comes on when you stick the connector in the bike plug so I assume it is working. Question. I have attached a picture. Does anyone know why they sent an extra connector. Both are the same diameter and fit in the bike female receptor. Any clue on why 2 the same size and should I use them both when charging?

A also took a pic of the stock charger vs the new 4a. Any harm in using a 48 4a?

Attachments

• 4a connector.jpg
    4a connector.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Stock vs 4a 48v.jpg
    Stock vs 4a 48v.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Ok, so bought a charger from Amazon that seems to work on my Espin Sport. It says it is 4a 48v.

A also took a pic of the stock charger vs the new 4a. Any harm in using a 48 4a?

Checking on suitability after the purchase? Sounds like something I'd do! It depends on your your battery capacity. Charging at up to 1/2*C (C=Wh/Volts) is good practice to maintain battery life. For your 48V battery a 4A charger should be OK for a battery rating of at least 400Wh. It looks like yours is 500Wh so you should be OK.

Last edited:
Ready
Checking on suitability after the purchase? Sounds like something I'd do! It depends on your your battery capacity. Charging at up to 1/2*C (C=Wh/Volts) is good practice to maintain battery life. For your 48V battery a 4A charger should be OK for a battery rating of at least 400Wh. It looks like yours is 500Wh so you should be OK.

Measure once, cut twice

So, can I damage the battery charging with the cheap 48v 4a?

So, can I damage the battery charging with the cheap 48v 4a?
Hard to say. The charger isn't labeled as being suitable for li-ion batteries though the description on the Amazon link says it is.

As a minimum it is very important (OK, critical) to have a charger that can't over charge your battery, ~54.6V for your 48v pack. The charger again isn't labeled for this max voltage though the Amazon description says it is. This is important as in general it will prevent over heating, catastrophic fires, destruction of the known universe, etc.

A more nuanced charging profile that drops the current as the battery voltage rises, among other features, can help extend the battery's useful life. Without more detailed specs you can't know if this is the case for this charger.

So what do these observations mean? You asked if this charger could damage your battery. Lacking actual product labeling and more detailted specs I would err on the side of caution and yes, battery damage is possible. This is just my opinion. YRMV...🤔

Hard to say. The charger isn't labeled as being suitable for li-ion batteries though the description on the Amazon link says it is.

As a minimum it is very important (OK, critical) to have a charger that can't over charge your battery, ~54.6V for your 48v pack. The charger again isn't labeled for this max voltage though the Amazon description says it is. This is important as in general it will prevent over heating, catastrophic fires, destruction of the known universe, etc.

A more nuanced charging profile that drops the current as the battery voltage rises, among other features, can help extend the battery's useful life. Without more detailed specs you can't know if this is the case for this charger.

So what do these observations mean? You asked if this charger could damage your battery. Lacking actual product labeling and more detailted specs I would err on the side of caution and yes, battery damage is possible. This is just my opinion. YRMV...🤔

Thats where I'm leaning. Send back. I bought 2 and they seem pretty bare bones...

Back