Sondors first impressions

Here's the math:

15 w/h per mile
15 miles per hour

In an hour multiply the two and get 225 watts. So if you run 225 watts for an hour and go 15 miles it's 15 w/h per mile. But the constant watt burn is 225 watts. It's the 225/15 miles (15 miles per hour, in an hour)

If the battery is 360 w/h, you should get 360/225 * 15 miles, full to flat battery. Low 20's.

Maybe... but the battery is only 316 w/hrs I just find it hard to believe that at constant 15w discharge you can sustain 14, 15mph...
Like I said I wish I were wrong... I don't expect any where near 15 or 20 miles on a RR without pedaling...

Maybe... but the battery is only 316 w/hrs I just find it hard to believe that at constant 15w discharge you can sustain 14, 15mph...
Like I said I wish I were wrong... I don't expect any where near 15 or 20 miles on a RR without pedaling...

The constant draw is 225 watts.

Work it backwards. If the bike goes for 20 miles and 90 minutes and it is a 300 watt hour battery, how many watts is he using up?

90 minutes - 1.5 hours
300 watts / 1.5 hours = 200 watts

Also:

300 watts / 1.5 hours = 200 watts per hour

At 15 mph, 200 watts per hour = 13.3 watt/HOURS per mile

All the numbers work out.

At 15 watts the motor would run for 20 hours.

Craig documented his range results on Facebook. Around 22 miles range at low pressure 15 psi over semi rough road. Sounds right.

Just to clarify, on a fat bike 15psi is ridiculously high pressure. Most people ride their fat bikes in the 6-10psi range depending on riding conditions. I am a big guy and ride 7-8 up front and 10 in the rear wheel.

He publish his test range video on youtube. He did 7 separate videos that he combine to 1 on youtube. For some reason this video only shows the 1st. Search "Sondors ebike" on youtube and you can see all videos.

Reviews appear inconsistent.

Aaron MaxwellGot mine this past weekend.
Pros: looks great, rides smooth, has decent thrust.
Cons: no way will go 50 miles, battery doesn't even last past 10 miles with 95% peddling, and peddle broke off first climb up a hill. Threads on peddle crank shaft stripped and now can't ride.

Here's the math:

15 w/h per mile
15 miles per hour

In an hour multiply the two and get 225 watts. So if you run 225 watts for an hour and go 15 miles it's 15 w/h per mile. But the constant watt burn is 225 watts. It's the 225/15 miles (15 miles per hour, in an hour)

If the battery is 360 w/h, you should get 360/225 * 15 miles, full to flat battery. Low 20's.

Thanks George ,
I was in a hurry doing the math.. Another way ... At a continuos 225 w for 1.5 hrs= 337.5w / 36v = 9.375 amp/hrs or more than the Sondors battery is rated... so it is more like a continuos 211 w for 1.5 hrs+ 8.8 amp/hrs.. but now we are splitting hairs...

We really need a watt meter with volts measured concurrently... to see if the Sondors will really go 15 mph drawing only 211w ... Or maybe the sweet spot is 10, 12, 8 mph ???... for max. range??

When is Court going to finish his testing??

His average speed according to his Garmin posting: 14.2 mph

That's average. That means there were times he went slower than 14mph (and times he went faster as well). He wasn't maintaining 14 or 15 mph at every point in the total mileage he rode.

His average speed according to his Garmin posting: 14.2 mph

That's average. That means there were times he went slower than 14mph (and times he went faster as well). He wasn't maintaining 14 or 15 mph at every point in the total mileage he rode.

The sun was in his eyes... E6.... He tried for 13 then 15 averaged 14.2... Kind of a wacky test he stops or turns around every 8 odd minutes... And there is no video of him actually riding the Sondors???

E6...error on the shortstop

Thanks George ,
I was in a hurry doing the math.. Another way ... At a continuos 225 w for 1.5 hrs= 337.5w / 36v = 9.375 amp/hrs or more than the Sondors battery is rated... so it is more like a continuos 211 w for 1.5 hrs+ 8.8 amp/hrs.. but now we are splitting hairs...

We really need a watt meter with volts measured concurrently... to see if the Sondors will really go 15 mph drawing only 211w ... Or maybe the sweet spot is 10, 12, 8 mph ???... for max. range??

When is Court going to finish his testing??[/QUOTE

http://bikecalculator.com/how.html

If you fill in the stuff like MTB tires, weights, barends, this will get you close.

We need someone to put a Watts Up meter on the bike, run it at 200 watts, see how fast it goes. I'd love to see that for every bike, but fat versus hybrids for sure. I'd like to know true battery capacity, how the pedal assist is set up, etc.

I would definitely like to know the 'price' of those tires, because no one really know what it does to performance.

The complexity of bikes these days (not the Sondors necessarily) begs for some hard numbers.

If one doesn't like the test that this guy (Craig) did, then do one of your own and see how it stacks up. It seems that anyone who gets a decent range will be considered a cheating cheater until they prove themselves innocent of cheating. If the Sonders bike is not one you are awaiting for personal delivery, then what does it matter if Craig gets a good range and "Ed" {generic name} doesn't? My bike gets me about 30 to 32 mi. Others with my bike claim to get far more range. Who's right and who's wrong? It is what it is.

Not bad! Better than I expected.

Sondors eBike no pedaling range test
Test date = July 19, 2015
Range = 21.8 miles
Avg speed 14.2 mph
Rider weight = 161 lb.
Tire pressure = 15 psi
Weather = temperature 92F, 1-2 mph headwind out, tailwind back
Course = fairly flat rough paved road, 2 miles out, 2 miles back
Bicycle Condition = Stock, less than two weeks old, approximately 70 miles total
Battery Condition = fully charged, 9 battery charge cycles

Last edited:
Reviews appear inconsistent.

Aaron MaxwellGot mine this past weekend.
Pros: looks great, rides smooth, has decent thrust.
Cons: no way will go 50 miles, battery doesn't even last past 10 miles with 95% peddling, and peddle broke off first climb up a hill. Threads on peddle crank shaft stripped and now can't ride.

I would like to know how much Aaron Maxwell weighs, and evidence of what he is claiming.

Not bad! Better than I expected.

Sondors eBike no pedaling range test
Test date = July 19, 2015
Range = 21.8 miles
Avg speed 14.2 mph
Rider weight = 161 lb.
Tire pressure = 15 psi
Weather = temperature 92F, 1-2 mph headwind out, tailwind back
Course = fairly flat rough paved road, 2 miles out, 2 miles back
Bicycle Condition = Stock, less than two weeks old, approximately 70 miles total
Battery Condition = fully charged, 9 battery charge cycles

Ouch...The bold text is hurting my eyes...

It would be nice if there was a standardized performance test for all mass produced ebikes. Range seems to be the most elusive..

I think you guys are forgetting power is not linear with speed. If you use analytic cycling and plug in...

0.75m^2
0.75cd
116kg
.008rr
.0025rr (to account for wind, slight hills etc)
6.35m/s (14.2mph)

You get...
164W of required power. Divide that by 0.8 for efficiency you get 205W of battery draw.
205 * 1.5hr = 307W so everything makes sense.

Now for the interesting part, if we change our speed to 20mph lets see what we get...
353W required power (divide by 0.8) we get 441W.
We divide 307 watts by 441w that means we can run the battery for .7 hours

.7 hours * 20 mph = 14mile range at 20mph which falls in line with the other tests.

If we reduce the weight by 50 pounds... we get 333W or about a 5% increase in range or about 0.7miles (not accounting for less losses during acceleration) so maybe about an extra mile.

Take a look at his FB page JoePah by clicking on his name, looks in good shape I would have thought 195-210 lbs.

Back