Solutions for transporting and securing bike on short truck bed.

bikeman242

Hi all,

Looking for a solution to transport and secure my bike in my truck bed. I have a short bed (5 foot long). The bike is 75" long, end to end, with the wheels on. I don't plan to leave the bike locked to my truck bed overnight or anything, just for quick stops. I have a thru axel.

The only think I can really find is the RockyMounts locking fork for my bed track rails. They list the max bike weight as 35 pounds. My eBike weighs 48 pounds. I am worried that the lateral swaying of the bike on the fork mount will do some damage to my fork (Fox Rhythm). Does anybody use this product and can comment on it?

The other option is to lock the bike is just to chain it through the cleats on my truck and lock it that way, but I would like a more security than that. The cleats are easily cut, and only a weak chain is big enough to fit through them.

I don't want to get a camper shell or anything like that.

As far as transporting the bike, if I leave the wheels on, I need to drive with the tailgate down. I can't help but be concerned that, even with the bike secured with multiple ratchet straps, it will go flying off the back. Is that a cause for concern, or am I just paranoid? Is there a simple solution to provide extra stability? I found a product called Pipeline Racks that stabilizes the front wheel against the track rails, but that is really expensive, and doesn't even lock.

I suppose the other option is a tailgate pad, but I don't really like my wheel hanging off the back of the tailgate.

Just seeing what everybody else does for ideas. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you've got a through axle, one of these will be tough enough.

You will need to strap your rear wheel down, you can also add a high strap around the seat post if you're worried about too much swaying.

I don't like tailgate pads either, especially with a heavy ebike, but they do work ok.

Kuat makes the Dirtbag bolted clamp for various thru axle sizes or maybe something like the Swagman Patrol (45lb capacity though).

I'm assuming you've got a through axle, one of these will be tough enough.

You will need to strap your rear wheel down, you can also add a high strap around the seat post if you're worried about too much swaying.

I don't like tailgate pads either, especially with a heavy ebike, but they do work ok.

This product is interesting. It looks like this RockyMounts product (https://www.rockymounts.com/collections/adaptor-and-truck-mounts/products/hotrod) but at a fraction of the price.

I assume I bolt this thing to my truck bed, and then thread the thru axel through my front axel and this thing?

Is there a way to lock it to help deter theft?

There are several locking through axles on the market, if they really want your bike they'll go after how it's mounted to the truckbed so keep that in mind. I don't trust any method these days for more than a couple of minutes, too many bike thieves out there, it's an industry.

BDF85D5C-5B27-4AC5-8F66-F78212D47D31.png

Try this again

I own two Thule Insta-gator racks and I like them very much. Years and many thousands of miles. I've used them with BH and Haibikes, 29'er and 27.5. 50 lb +/-.

Thule Insta-Gater Truck Bed Bike Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GT2VYI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_B7LmEbR5PKF2V

I have a 6-1/2 foot bed, so it's a little easier to use for me. There is a review on Amazon where the guy uses one with a short bed. This is what that looks like in a short bed.

What about those rubber blankets that go over the tailgate so the front wheel is out of the bed and then chain it down to something in the bed or hitch?

I own two Thule Insta-gator racks and I like them very much. Years and many thousands of miles. I've used them with BH and Haibikes, 29'er and 27.5. 50 lb +/-.

Thule Insta-Gater Truck Bed Bike Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GT2VYI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_B7LmEbR5PKF2V

I have a 6-1/2 foot bed, so it's a little easier to use for me. There is a review on Amazon where the guy uses one with a short bed. This is what that looks like in a short bed.

View attachment 44734

This may be a dumb question, but does driving with the fork in that angled position do any damage to it? I have a Fox rhythym fork.

What about those rubber blankets that go over the tailgate so the front wheel is out of the bed and then chain it down to something in the bed or hitch?

IDK - theres something about the wheel hanging off the back of the tailgate that I just don't like.

I carry my bikes in my pickup bed on a rack made from PVC pipe and two Thule Sidearm roof racks. The truck is an extended cab with a 76" bed, just long enough for my 75" bikes.

44742 44743 44744 44745 44746 44747

The advantage of the PVC rack is it slides easily and can be deployed with a pair of pivot legs to make loading easier. The rack is a snug fit in the pickup bed so it does not need to be tied in place. To minimize bike side sway, I tie them off to the pickup rails with ratchet straps.

I've seen several other similar racks on short bed pickups that use this type of bed extender with the tailgate down.

The PVC rack provides ample support even if it extends out beyond the tailgate.

I carry my bikes in my pickup bed on a rack made from PVC pipe and two Thule Sidearm roof racks. The truck is an extended cab with a 76" bed, just long enough for my 75" bikes.

View attachment 44742 View attachment 44743 View attachment 44744 View attachment 44745 View attachment 44746 View attachment 44747

The advantage of the PVC rack is it slides easily and can be deployed with a pair of pivot legs to make loading easier. The rack is a snug fit in the pickup bed so it does not need to be tied in place. To minimize bike side sway, I tie them off to the pickup rails with ratchet straps.

I've seen several other similar racks on short bed pickups that use this type of bed extender with the tailgate down.

View attachment 44741

The PVC rack provides ample support even if it extends out beyond the tailgate.

I noticed your avatar when I first started the search for a truck bed application and was going to PM you in the spring when it came time to build something similar, thanks for attaching the pictures they will certainly help my design and build process for this style of carrier.

I suppose the better question is how to lock the bike to an open truck pickup bed.

I would only be away from it for a few minutes for a restroom break.

From what I can tell, the only options are a locking fork mount, or to tie a chain around the bike and the truck's tie-down cleats.

Any other suggestions?

I lock the rack to the truck bed tie downs using Master cuff locks, one on each side:

I then secure the bikes to the rack with Foldylocks:

I also use this audible alarm attached to the back of the rack where it is difficult for a thief to access. It's sensitive enough to alert when someone tries to climb into the truck.

The Thule Sidearm racks have key locks which adds another layer of protection.

In addition, I lock the truck tailgate which makes it nearly impossible to remove the rack with attached bikes from the bed. I realize this isn't possible with a short bed truck though.

Sure, the locks could be cut but they are difficult to access without opening the tailgate. Doing so would activate the audible alarm and only the boldest of thieves would attempt to defeat 3 separate locks with an alarm blaring.

I carry the Master Cuff locks and foldylocks with me when I ride so they do double duty.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Wallke ebike that weighs about 60lbs. I'm new to this e-biking thing so I am trying to figure a way to get this 26" folding bike onto the bed of my truck. I struggled to lift this bike and finally succeeded. I'm glad no one saw me during this struggle. I just ordered this $52 motocross dirt bike ramp. I'm hoping that using the bike's "walk" mode it will load far easier than lifting the bike. The photo below is the result of lifting the folded bike onto the truck. If that is how I'm going to transport the bike, I'm hoping that someone can suggest a good way to secure the bike once it's in the truck.

Attachments

• WallkeInTruck.jpg
    WallkeInTruck.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 2,779
Man you guys certainly go the full monty . I put mine in crossways , left front to right rear . Put the kick stand down and secure with strap tie downs . Run a cable through both wheels and frame , lock to bed ties and I'm done .

@bikeman242 Check to see what racks are available from your truck manufacturer as well as checking enthusiast forums for your truck.

I have a Honda Ridgeline and this is available from Honda.
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club are dozens of DIY bike rack solutions for transporting bakes in the truck bed as well as on top of rigid tonneau covers. One of these days I'll get around to making a rack for my Ridgeline.

Back