Solutions for transporting and securing bike on short truck bed.

(just posted this in another related thread):Saw an interesting arrangement in a parking lot the other day. These were analog bikes, but the principle should work with ebikes. The bikes were loaded rear end first, and pushed toward the cab. The tailgate was closed, then the front wheel was turned to 90 deg., and the wheel was hung over the outside of the tailgate, so it would work even on quite a short PU bed. I didn't look closely, but I assume the bikes (there were at least 2) were locked into the bed tie-downs. Ropes going from side to side would stabilize the bikes and prevent them from flopping around. Looked secure, except they'd be vulnerable if you were rear-ended--but in that case, you have other issues to worry about.

(just posted this in another related thread):Saw an interesting arrangement in a parking lot the other day. These were analog bikes, but the principle should work with ebikes. The bikes were loaded rear end first, and pushed toward the cab. The tailgate was closed, then the front wheel was turned to 90 deg., and the wheel was hung over the outside of the tailgate, so it would work even on quite a short PU bed. I didn't look closely, but I assume the bikes (there were at least 2) were locked into the bed tie-downs. Ropes going from side to side would stabilize the bikes and prevent them from flopping around. Looked secure, except they'd be vulnerable if you were rear-ended--but in that case, you have other issues to worry about.
You must be referring to a tail gate pad. I have a dual version for my Frontier that I used when picking up the Trance from the LBS. I think they’re fine for short trips.
IMG_20210218_1055197.jpgIMG_20210218_1055408.jpg

Yes, thats a tailgate pad.

I'm not a fan because its a pain to lift the heavy ebike up over the tailgate. Also, I worry about the front wheel picking up road debris.

Yes, thats a tailgate pad.

I'm not a fan because its a pain to lift the heavy ebike up over the tailgate. Also, I worry about the front wheel picking up road debris.

Just looking at your original numbers - is your ute a ford ranger with the roller cover?

It's too late at night for me to be juggling inches to cm , but have you trued reversing the bike in and running it diagonally with the front wheel turned? my giant full e pro JUST fits this way, wheels on, and then motorbike tie downs to stabilise it.

My daughters bike is a lot longer, so I have " roof racks" that mount on the tub cover , and either secure the front axle to them or occasionally just wedge it between the racks.

If you have a ranger and want pictures pm me and I'll try taking them tomorrow.

20210224_121949.jpg

A 4 foot piece of plywood, a stepstool, and a couple ratchet straps to the habdlebars are all you really need. I just tighten the straps until the fork begins to compress. You can also tie off to the saddle rails if you don't have a dropper post.

I have a short bed, and a bike that is 69" long. Just barely fits on the diagonal with tailgate closed.

Now I am just looking for a good way to secure it from theft when I make a quick stop for a restbreak. All I can think of is a cable through the D-Rings on the side of the truck - not very effective.

Last edited:
View attachment 79946

A 4 foot piece of plywood, a stepstool, and a couple ratchet straps to the habdlebars are all you really need. I just tighten the straps until the fork begins to compress. You can also tie off to the saddle rails if you don't have a dropper post.

I have a short bed, and a bike that is 69" long. Just barely fits on the diagonal with tailgate closed.
Yep. Although a longer piece of ramp material would help. 👍

View attachment 79954
This is a GMC Canyon (small truck). The Wallke ebike has a Walk Mode which lets it walk up the 6' ramp easily.
The ramp cost $51 about a month ago (January, 2021)
https://www.discountramps.com/aluminum-motocross-ramp/p/DB-7606/
Yeah I have the folding ramp version, actually have two. In the attached pic I have one fully deployed and the other in the folded condition. My bikes are 70 plus pounds and my truck sits up higher so these are a must.

Attachments

• PXL_20201207_213435412.jpg
    PXL_20201207_213435412.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 297
Back