So I made the plunge, bought a couple of ST1's

An Elite for the girlfriend, and a Platinum for me.

Have had a Sport for almost a year, and got the upgrade bug a few weeks ago, girlfriend and I rented a couple of Stromers (Sports) in San Francisco and rode the heck out of them for 24 hours, we were both sad to give them back. Came home and started looking at ST1's, and found some on craigslist, these guys must be a bitch for smaller shops to stock, expensive inventory with not a heck of a lot of volume...

Any suggestions for racks and bags? I have a Topeak Explorer with an MX bag on the Sport, but with no braze on's on the ST1 limits me to a seat post rack?

Also, has anyone hacked the connection to the light kit? Looks like a standard connector for the headlight and tail light, should be pretty easy to find the right connector and wire them up to a nice LED light. The City Kit looks slick, but I've never been much on fenders (and we all know it never rains in Southern California), and the rack isn't the style I like either.

Congratulations on your purschase! :) Underneath your crank are some cables. one of them is the light connection connector. This is for the rear light but I suppose if you spliced the cable with you could connect both front and rear lights this way. The other connector for the 'official' front light is in the battery compartment on the top.

Congratulations on your purschase! :) Underneath your crank are some cables. one of them is the light connection connector. This is for the rear light but I suppose if you spliced the cable with you could connect both front and rear lights this way. The other connector for the 'official' front light is in the battery compartment on the top.

I'm thinking I can hit up a Fry's and get some connectors to McGuyver my own lights connected to the battery.

I have the racks on both of our bikes. I bought them because I wanted to be 100% warranty due to previous issues. The moment you cut a wire you electronics warranty is gone (if they see it of course). 1 reason to buy a Stromer is the length of the warranty, one of the best.

Also I have had a couple issues w/the door after the install due to the wiring and battery not fitting to well in the battery compartment after the install. I was once stuck 30 miles from home w/o being able to swap to the charged battery because the lock was completely jammed (had to be replaced) , had to call home for the chase vehicle to get me :( . I will say no matter what anybody tells me that the lights use little power I want every bit of my battery going to my motor and use the built in lights on real roads (in addition the others I have) only to be seen

After getting the kits the shop told me they could have worked around w/some other racks (I got them for the racks and a little for the fenders but not at all for the lights)

The rock hold my Ortleib roller bags which almost completely cover the motor (stealth) and carry a spare battery in each 95% of the time

I'm thinking I can hit up a Fry's and get some connectors to McGuyver my own lights connected to the battery.
Yah I wouldn't hack the wires unless you're not worried about the warranty...

I just bought a nice rechargeable headlight for like $70 and mounted it on a handlebar extension
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1NQ3DU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIAVN8/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have fun with your new toy! Post racks are fine if you're not going to carry much....

What I'm thinking about is getting a connector that works with the factory connector for use with a light that uses an external battery pack, not cutting any wires or anything. The connector looks pretty standard.

What I'm thinking about is getting a connector that works with the factory connector for use with a light that uses an external battery pack, not cutting any wires or anything. The connector looks pretty standard.

oh that's sounds good.. then you just need a DC DC transformer...

Well crap, got mine assembled without a hitch, screwed up a caged bearing on the headset of the Elite (and the seals) looks like I need to call Stromer, no one local seems to have a replacement.

Just cranked out a couple of miles, damn, what a difference between the ST1 and the Sport.

Last edited:
No need for that. It's already 6v, which is the standard input for most DC powered bike lights. The bike steps down the power by default.

That's what I suspected. I already have a 5 emitter light from Deal Extreme, just need the connector and I'm good to go...

Anyone know what the diameter the seat post clamp is off the top of their head?

Should be 31.6

Thanks, saw that on the seat post, was thinking the clamp would be bigger?

What do you think of getting a 53 tooth chainring for my Platinum? I have to get the cadence way up there to get to the upper 20's (mph), thinking of getting a freewheel with a 10 tooth cog in it too, I tend to run in "power" mode for my commute and want to keep my average speed up. I ran some calculators and the 53/10 combo should do it.

Am assuming the crank arms are 170's?

Thanks, saw that on the seat post, was thinking the clamp would be bigger?

What do you think of getting a 53 tooth chainring for my Platinum? I have to get the cadence way up there to get to the upper 20's (mph), thinking of getting a freewheel with a 10 tooth cog in it too, I tend to run in "power" mode for my commute and want to keep my average speed up. I ran some calculators and the 53/10 combo should do it.
Check the specs on the deraileurs. Generally they have a maximum range. You might be better with increasing the chainring size, quality freewheels are hard to come by, especially in 9 speed.

Check the specs on the deraileurs. Generally they have a maximum range. You might be better with increasing the chainring size, quality freewheels are hard to come by, especially in 9 speed.

Yep, no 10 tooth cassette freewheels, front deraileure says 50 tooth maximum, with a 20 tooth spread, looking at it, I think I can get it to work with a 53, if not, am going to make it an 18 or a 9 speed, I love to tinker with stuff, the chainring guard is definitely coming off, have always hated them :)

I really appreciate the advice, thanks.

The gearing on the Patterson is a bit too low, and holy crap the Schlumpf is $700. I'd rather put an 8Fun mid motor on it, LOL.
They make an belt drive adaptor for the Patterson which you can use to run any 130 BCD chainring. So a 53 tooth would effectively be an 85 tooth chainring with the 1.6:1 OD ratio. If you have the strength you could pedal into some pretty high speeds with the help of the motor. I haven't seen it done on a Stromer, but I have on other ebikes.

Tell me more Chris! What kind of cost/know-how would I need to make my top speed increase on my ST1?

Back