Snazzy front rack. Now what to do with it?

Jeremy McCreary

Region
USA
City
Carlsbad, CA
My 2023 Surface 604 V Rook came with the cool-looking black head tube-mounted rack shown in attached photos. Very sturdy 3/4" OD Al tubing.

20221031_102415.jpg
20221031_102317.jpg

Really want to use this bike for light shopping. And really like the frame mount. Works well enough as a bungeed tote bag carrier (photo), but if that's the best it can do, it's coming off. So...

Any better uses for this rack?

Thanks for any suggestions. Between siderails and overhead handlebar cabling, anything inside the rack must fit in an 11.25"W x 9.25" D x 6.00" H box.

The nice thing about those front racks is you can (hopefully) notice it when something falls off. I think you have the right/best solution with that folded up bag (nice and sturdy) and bungee cord.

Don't take it off. If you are serious about shopping, you will find as your experience progresses that the full load you think you just loaded up on is actually a little more than you can carry. Here's an example of what I mean from today.
PXL_20221105_193803390.jpg

I went to Costco and the black-and-yellow Costco bin in my cargo area is pretty much full to the brim. I carried my panniers with me to the store and sure enough I needed to toss in a couple things into them for overflow. But the way things shook out for packing, my new electric razor came in a big box that no way, no how would fit in my cargo box, thanks to the 36-can flat pack of soda lining the bottom and taking up just a bit too much headroom.

And the box was too bulky to fit in my one almost-empty pannier. Now what? I also carry an empty bag and a net I know straps well to the top of the bin. 2 minutes and job done. this was the first time I was forced to do this, hence the picture. In the past I've always been able to shift stuff around into the panniers to make it work but not today.

You need to get in that same mindset. Buy yourself a net that will strap itself all over your front rack and allow something bulky underneath it. Believe me... the net will come in handy. They have a way of doing that, and when you can put them to good use they often magnify your ability to carry stuff way beyond what you thought was possible.

PXL_20210529_201401465.jpg

On my Surly, above, the net I have for the front rack goes over the top and wraps all the way around underneath, so I can put stuff on the top of the rack and sling/suspend something else underneath. So... doubles the potential volume of carry because of that.

Don't take it off. If you are serious about shopping, you will find as your experience progresses that the full load you think you just loaded up on is actually a little more than you can carry. Here's an example of what I mean from today.
View attachment 139495

I went to Costco and the black-and-yellow Costco bin in my cargo area is pretty much full to the brim. I carried my panniers with me to the store and sure enough I needed to toss in a couple things into them for overflow. But the way things shook out for packing, my new electric razor came in a big box that no way, no how would fit in my cargo box, thanks to the 36-can flat pack of soda lining the bottom and taking up just a bit too much headroom.

And the box was too bulky to fit in my one almost-empty pannier. Now what? I also carry an empty bag and a net I know straps well to the top of the bin. 2 minutes and job done. this was the first time I was forced to do this, hence the picture. In the past I've always been able to shift stuff around into the panniers to make it work but not today.

You need to get in that same mindset. Buy yourself a net that will strap itself all over your front rack and allow something bulky underneath it. Believe me... the net will come in handy. They have a way of doing that, and when you can put them to good use they often magnify your ability to carry stuff way beyond what you thought was possible.

View attachment 139497

On my Surly, above, the net I have for the front rack goes over the top and wraps all the way around underneath, so I can put stuff on the top of the rack and sling/suspend something else underneath. So... doubles the potential volume of carry because of that.
Wow, that's some serious cargo capacity! No doubt there are outfitting and loading learning curves, and I'll run into them again when tackling more promising rear cargo solutions.

20221103_140201.jpg

Agree, bungee nets make great sense as rigging. However, once bought a large one to secure luggage to an SUV roof rack. Worked great once in place, but the wide mesh and many big open hooks made it excruciating to untangle and install. Three trips later, I was scarred for life.

Hmmm, a bungee net with finer mesh and carabiners instead of open hooks would be lot less scary.

Last edited:
Wow, that's some serious cargo capacity! No doubt there are outfitting and loading learning curves, and I'll run into them again when tackling more promising rear cargo solutions.

View attachment 139502

Agree, bungee nets make great sense as rigging. However, once bought a large one to secure luggage to an SUV roof rack. Worked great once in place, but the wide mesh and many big open hooks made it excruciating to untangle between uses. Three trips later, I was scarred for life.

Hmmm, a bungee net with finer mesh and carabiners instead of open hooks would be lot less scary.
Here is the milkcrate idea. With my bike spokes model, Natalie. That is an electric mid-drive bike with the milkcrate on the front rack. That is where ET goes to make this bike fly. Are those W. Lake Superior stones?
1667687742670.jpeg

Last edited:
A stuffed ET that is 18" high in a red hoody arrives tomorrow. It is going into a milkcrate on the front rack of a bike to enhance the bike's aerodynamics. They are $9.
View attachment 139500
Brilliant! I'm clearly thinking about this all wrong.

Forget the utilitarian stuff. This rack is an SEGMP (self-expression and general messaging platform). Can't wait to add a seat belt and strap in that Tickle Me Elmo I stole from the kids. The stuffed Barney and American Girl dolls, too.

And something we've all wished for: A place to hang bumper stickers.
20190623_134247.jpg

Then again, probably unwise to give drivers more reasons to pick us off.

Here is the milkcrate idea. With my bike spokes model, Natalie. That is an electric mid-drive bike with the milkcrate on the front rack. That is where ET goes to make this bike fly. Are those W. Lake Superior stones?
View attachment 139505
A big smile like that could sell anything.

A suitable crate or wire basket would definitely make my front rack more useful. So far, no luck finding one to fit with easy on-off mounts.

PS: Carlsbad, CA, North San Diego County. Lots of ever-shifting mixed sand+pebble beaches around here.

Last edited:
Should've mentioned that this front rack came with a classy wooden floorboard...

20221105_160700.jpg

Blocks some valuable bungee tie points, so I took it off.

Last edited:
Should've mentioned that this front rack came with a classy wooden floorboard...

View attachment 139524

Blocks some valuable bungee tie points, so I took it off.
I lived up the road in San Clemente for several years before moving to North of San Francisco. I would catch seven Bonita at a time from the SC pier during La Ninas. Pacific lobster is yummy. Now is the season. A rod works. Does a milk cate fit on the rack? They are easily found behind any Trader Joe's because smokers sit on them. Carl is not so bad. It is kind of nice compared to Tulsa or Regina Canada.

Will definitely try bungeeing a standard milk crate to the rear rack as soon as my crates and bungees arrive from Denver -- with luck, next week.

The Topeak rear trunk bag in earlier photos has smallish stowable panniers. But either way -- single crate or that trunk bag -- total capacity seems inadequate for the bike's shopping mission. That's where a good front rack solution might come in.

Since the bike has other missions, really hoping for easy on-off storage front and back. Beginning to think that may be too tall an order.

I lived up the road in San Clemente for several years before moving to North of San Francisco. I would catch seven Bonita at a time from the SC pier during La Ninas. Pacific lobster is yummy. Now is the season. A rod works. Does a milk cate fit on the rack? They are easily found behind any Trader Joe's because smokers sit on them. Carl is not so bad. It is kind of nice compared to Tulsa or Regina Canada.
Prior to our 20 years in Colorado, we were both long-standing Northern Californians -- Kathy all her life. Back then, when somebody told you they were from SoCal, you'd say, "Oh, out of state."

And now we get to do that to you guys in reverse!

PS: We expect a full report on the bike's max ceiling and top airspeed with ET up front.

Last edited:
My entire time in California, 46 years, has been in several places along the El Camino de Real. The King's Road that went to Mexico City. Now I am at the far Northern part where it ended in Sonoma and the far Southern part of the Russian Empire at Fort Ross, Russ. The two Empires traded through my town. This is also the wine country area where the Bear Flag Revolution took place and the only battle was fought between the Yank's and the Mexican army. I will update on air speed and ceiling but that will need to be later on Tuesday when the moon is full.
1667752732358.jpeg
1667752821643.jpeg

My first thought was that front rack is the perfect size for hauling a 12 pack of your favorite beverage. 🍺
Definitely a suggestion worth testing!

Now you have me thinking of other cargos of that general size and shape: Box of pastries, a frozen lasagna, a 10" pizza box, gallon tub of ice cream, a bag of jumbo breakfast burritos with extra bacon...

Not exactly the dietary direction my internist keeps pushing, but the rack is what it is.

My entire time in California, 46 years, has been in several places along the El Camino de Real. The King's Road that went to Mexico City. Now I am at the far Northern part where it ended in Sonoma and the far Southern part of the Russian Empire at Fort Ross, Russ. The two Empires traded through my town. This is also the wine country area where the Bear Flag Revolution took place and the only battle was fought between the Yank's and the Mexican army. I will update on air speed and ceiling but that will need to be later on Tuesday when the moon is full.
View attachment 139556View attachment 139557
Spent a lot of time on the roads in that part of California -- mostly on Kawasakis and Suzukis. Beautiful place full of history.

I'm a big fan of cargo bikes. Give this a whirl when you have some free time.

The frontloader has been such a success I am building another and retiring/selling the two longtails. Also look at the Big Bags 2.0 article. You can save a huge amount of money doing that, and using smaller canvas bags coupled to that dowel/loop attachment method.

I'm a big fan of cargo bikes. Give this a whirl when you have some free time.

The frontloader has been such a success I am building another and retiring/selling the two longtails. Also look at the Big Bags 2.0 article. You can save a huge amount of money doing that, and using smaller canvas bags coupled to that dowel/loop attachment method.
The front loaders take a while too get. I found the the key was to do a sort of surf motion of first throwing my weight the wrong way before entering a corner and swinging it. Doing practice figure eights helped me get it. The first mile was scary. By the third day I had it nailed. I am crazy for the BFD. One big factor on all cargo bikes is the wheel build. Some are super duty others look like a cargo bike but do not really make the cut.

Back