Smiles and waves from pedestrians we pass

Sparky731

Region
USA
Whether my wife and I are riding as a pair, or leading groups as we often do, we like doing a little extra to keep a positive relationship with the pedestrians we meet and pass.

Almost all! Or at least 10 out of 11 passing encounters complete with the pedestrian(s) giving us a wave, a smile, and a “thank you!”

Our passing verbal cadence from either my wife or me, whichever is leading:

1. Ring bell
2. “Passing left”
3. “X# of bikes”
4. “Good morning ( or afternoon, or evening)”

Invariably we get a very positive response in return.

It makes us all feel good.

As a lone male rider in the countryside, my biggest issue is meeting lone female hikers, there is just no way to put them at ease I can think of, friendy smiles, but not too friendly.
Responses range from excited welcomes to complete head down ignore.
I just keep going in the latter, the best way to put them at ease is to disappear into the distance.

Remember in the UK were are not allowed any personal protection, not even pepper spray, it all relies on a thin layer of national and local societal rules and consequence.

Its worse down bere, because so many are Londoners whose entire picture of cyclists not wearing lycra is phone snatching thugs.

I cycle towards couples and you see the man eyeing me with suspicion and guarding his partner.

London falls and takes society with it.

Whether my wife and I are riding as a pair, or leading groups as we often do, we like doing a little extra to keep a positive relationship with the pedestrians we meet and pass.

Almost all! Or at least 10 out of 11 passing encounters complete with the pedestrian(s) giving us a wave, a smile, and a “thank you!”

1. Ring bell
2. “Passing left”
3. “X# of bikes”

It makes us all feel good.
Good policy!

The only thing I add is "Thank You" when they move over to let me pass.

I go one step further...
I stop and ask them if they need anything from the store or if they want to look through the snacks I have with me for anything they may want.
Then I ask them where on the path is the end of the road and if they want me to meet them there for a complimentary foot massage and/or car wash

I go one step further...
I stop and ask them if they need anything from the store or if they want to look through the snacks I have with me for anything they may want.
Then I ask them where on the path is the end of the road and if they want me to meet them there for a complimentary foot massage and/or car wash
Speaking of car washes, I'm dismayed with the number of cyclists now, that car wash stations haven't installed low pressure stations for cleaning bikes.

I use the low pressure hot, I always do this to negate any possibility of my ride being some kind of commie net zero.

1. Ring bell
2. “Passing left”
3. “X# of bikes”

That's what I'm doing, often using a nice sentence such as "I wish you a fantastic day", which is always returned with "The same to you!" If a dog is present, I dramatically slow down with my fingers on brake levers; I praise the dog, talk to the dog expressing my hope the doggie would not be as silly as to run into the wheel and so on. It makes the dog owners smile and be happy!

As a lone male rider in the countryside, my biggest issue is meeting lone female hikers, there is just no way to put them at ease I can think of, friendy smiles, but not too friendly.
Responses range from excited welcomes to complete head down ignore.
I just keep going in the latter, the best way to put them at ease is to disappear into the distance.
Britain must be very different from Poland. First of all, people here greet one another on hike trails. Secondly, no woman in Poland would be unhappy if a riding gentleman greeted her nicely. Smiles are optional, as we Poles rarely do smile :)

Whom I do not like are roadies, who rarely even raise a hand a little or nod their head to acknowlegde my gesture or greeting. (Some do).

Back