Smartphone hub - broken bottom bracket after 50km

Markgoode53

Hi there. I recently got and started using a Smartphone Hub with an iPhone XR. After only 3 rides, and nothing strenuous in terms of rides, the bottom bracket snapped off on both sides at the same time while putting the phone back into the bracket. Luckily I wasn’t riding at the time. And the phone fell onto grass, so no issue there. I am interested if anyone has had a similar issue with the hub bracket? Thank you

I didn't have the bracket break, but the mount did. Out of frustration I ended up using JB Weld to hold it in position.

Mine broke on the top after about a month. I’d like to replace it with one of the computers. This mount is Mickey Mouse. Don’t know if Trek will do it though.

Attachments

• DDABAFB5-285E-41CE-A440-37D5F6C354C8.jpeg
    DDABAFB5-285E-41CE-A440-37D5F6C354C8.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 445
I had after the first 40km on my brand new bike the same that the bracket was snapped off on both sides.
Smarthub was mounted by the factory (Riese & Muller)

After a good look indeed this is a terrible construction it's only holding by 4 tiny screws.

I have take some ultra violet glue that's is very hard and make a solid construction.
I have more than 4000 km riding with this construction and it's very stable.

Check the photos.

20200906_101616.jpg

Glue on the side.
20200906_101713.jpg

Glue in the bracket on the bottom

I had after the first 40km on my brand new bike the same that the bracket was snapped off on both sides.
Smarthub was mounted by the factory (Riese & Muller)

After a good look indeed this is a terrible construction it's only holding by 4 tiny screws.

I have take some ultra violet glue that's is very hard and make a solid construction.
I have more than 4000 km riding with this construction and it's very stable.

Check the photos.

View attachment 64537

Glue on the side.
View attachment 64538

Glue in the bracket on the bottom

Have you contacted your local dealer with the anecdote of this? They may be able to assist with our European service team.

These breaks give me some concern, since I'm planning on buying a SmartphoneHub for my Cannondale Neo Lefty 3 next week.

Have you contacted your local dealer with the anecdote of this? They may be able to assist with our European service team.

Yes and the dealer give me a new bracket but this has also broken after 23 km.
The tiny screws are not sufficient to resistant to shocks.

I have now a steady construction and also don't use a smartphone case.

phone.jpg

My local Trek store is working on a warranty replacement for the mount on my Allant. In the meantime I incidentally installed a suspension stem, so I guess I'll see if that take some of the shock off this unfortunate design.

Are you guys riding off-road and rough trails? The reason I ask is my phone will be mounted on my Cannondale Neo Lefty 3, and I use the bike for

pavement, fire roads, and light trail riding.

I've ordered one, but it won't be installed until Oct1. Mine will have the iPhone mounting bracket. I'm not sure how much it differs from the regular

bracket/mount, but it looks like the special iPhone case fits into place to allow for direct charging. I wonder if that will make the phone more secure and

help prevent the mount from breaking/cracking.

I was riding in downtown Philly when my phone went flying from a bump in the road. I don’t know if that says more about philly streets than Bosch’s design but I can’t use the mount to hold my $1k phone. They really need to recall it.

I've cancelled my purchase and install. I think I'll stick with the Purion display for now.
Probably best. I was riding today and thought with the suspension stem it may be gentle enough to hold my phone. I crossed a railroad crossing and it went airborne again. I’m sticking with a cheap amazon phone mount for now (pic).

Attachments

• C41BB4CD-060A-4EA2-9C93-74B574FF471D.jpeg
    C41BB4CD-060A-4EA2-9C93-74B574FF471D.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 470
YES I have also suffered the same problem 2 mounts in 6 months. They just not up to the job.

Back