Smart system power outlets

AvalancheRun

Region
USA
Is the yellow port with the cap an available power source? I am adding a Varia radar.
Also looking for a tech manual for this system as the user manual is pretty short.

IMG_0985.jpg

I'm afraid you are one of the first users of the Smart System in these Forums :) Besides, I congratulate you on your Smart System Gazelle again!
Probably the new Varia eRTL615 then too which is also slightly tricky to set up… well, I’ll post the results..

It sure would be nice if they provided the owner with an ability to understand and utilize the product. I would love to add a dash cam as well. May have to grab something that can act as a power splitter like the Supernova lights ($$$).

Probably the new Varia eRTL615 then too which is also slightly tricky to set up… well, I’ll post the results..

It sure would be nice if they provided the owner with an ability to understand and utilize the product. I would love to add a dash cam as well. May have to grab something that can act as a power splitter like the Supernova lights ($$$).
Supernova lights are only supported by the Bosch Performance Line Speed motors. There is a tremendous power draw of 24 - 60 V current (32 W) for the Supernova M99 Pro headlight. I have the light as the stock on my Specialized Vado 6.0 that has a special 1.2s motor with similar connectors and switches.

If there's one thing I've learned from this forum, it's the fact that proprietary SUCKS! :mad:
Yes! We’re not going down this road again. Spoke with Bosch and they refused to provide any info, only "go to the dealer" to plug in a radar. Next bikes will have an open system.

After riding more as a car replacement, we’ve decided we want to add features to the bikes (radar, horn, dashcam, headlamp with brights). That seems like a lot, but I think it’s actually reasonable for the use-case.

Last edited:
Is the yellow port with the cap an available power source? I am adding a Varia radar.
Also looking for a tech manual for this system as the user manual is pretty short.

View attachment 159949
Did you order the Bosch cable with the eRTL615? I know Garmin doesnt say the smart system is compatible, but it sure looks like the lights are on the same connectors as System 2.

It should just plug in to replace the existing taillight - I think its the one with the blue connector.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810-091825.png
    Screenshot_20230810-091825.png
    349.5 KB · Views: 107
Did you order the Bosch cable with the eRTL615? I know Garmin doesnt say the smart system is compatible, but it sure looks like the lights are on the same connectors as System 2.

It should just plug in to replace the existing taillight - I think its the one with the blue connector.

Yep, Bosch Cable (Generation 2) via Garmin, while the bike uses the Smart System.

The dealer is reaching out to their Bosch rep to check for an adapter or other way to hardwire.

The Smart System cables are bit smaller (red = smart system, blue = gen2)

IMG_1027.jpg

Update: a local Bosch dealer got with the regional rep and found that a simple wire splice would work.
The yellow port is being used.

So far, the Varia eRTL615 is pretty cool. It detects cars from much further than I had anticipated.

$17 for the gen2 cable + $30 for the Bosch cable from Garmin + $100 more for the "ebike version" is quite the up-charge for a unit that simply replaces a rechargeable battery with a wire!

$17 for the gen2 cable + $30 for the Bosch cable from Garmin + $100 more for the "ebike version" is quite the up-charge for a unit that simply replaces a rechargeable battery with a wire!
Exactly! Plus installation cost?

I'll continue with my rechargeable version. I don't consider charging the unit at the end of a day's ride an inconvenience. Especially since I recharge other devices at that time.

However, a USB charging port on the bike would be useful.

Exactly! Plus installation cost?

I'll continue with my rechargeable version. I don't consider charging the unit at the end of a day's ride an inconvenience. Especially since I recharge other devices at that time.

However, a USB charging port on the bike would be useful.
I had to mention that, because they removed an expensive component (the battery), then charged so much more. Need some more competition in this space apparently :D

No install cost* I elected to do that myself. It will require the fender to be removed, which means the rear wheel needs to come off and IGH makes that a little more fun.

No word on the amperage or voltage of that yellow port. It was really nice however to deal with the Bosch shop (Trek) since they went so far as to look up the product specs on their own to determine compatibility.

Incidentally how many hours do you get out of the rechargeable version?

edit: * This turned out to be incorrect. The dealer alone has the ability to activate the spare power port. Unbeknownst to me they did this without upfront charge for the first bike. We paid for both upon return to power on the next bike.

Last edited:
Incidentally how many hours do you get out of the rechargeable version?
I don't know how much charge is left in the battery but six to eight hour rides haven't drained it. Mostly on low power continuous. I guess it partly depends upon the number of alarms it detects.

I look forward to the day (hopefully) when ebikes adopt a system like NMEA 2000 which is on my boat. Regardless of power or sail, chartplotter, autopilot, radar, radio… the connections are “plug and play”. Didn’t use to be that way, every manufacturer had their own proprietary connections. Now Garmin, Raymarine, Furuno, etc use NMEA. At least my GoCycle has a USB-C power outlet on the handlebars.

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0361.jpeg
    IMG_0361.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 91
I look forward to the day (hopefully) when ebikes adopt a system like NMEA 2000 which is on my boat. Regardless of power or sail, chartplotter, autopilot, radar, radio… the connections are “plug and play”. Didn’t use to be that way, every manufacturer had their own proprietary connections. Now Garmin, Raymarine, Furuno, etc use NMEA. At least my GoCycle has a USB-C power outlet on the handlebars.
hell its a long ways to even get cars that use the same charging method.

I don't know how much charge is left in the battery but six to eight hour rides haven't drained it. Mostly on low power continuous. I guess it partly depends upon the number of alarms it detects.
without the light I can ride all week without charging. thats 15 or more hours. the the flasher on I have to charge twice a week. my Garmin 130+ lasts as long as the radar now.

That is one nice looking boat!
without the light I can ride all week without charging. thats 15 or more hours. the the flasher on I have to charge twice a week. my Garmin 130+ lasts as long as the radar now.
Wow, that’s not bad at all, quite amazing actually.

Our OneShot lights don’t always last a single day which is unacceptable for a safety light. I think I’m going to stick with the wired because we will inevitably forget to charge them.

Did about 30 miles today with the Varia incidentally. Holy cow this thing is so useful. So impressed by the accuracy and delivery of the alerts.

@AvalancheRun glad you were able to get assistance from the dealer! I'm sorry about your experience when you called in to get information. That has been noted for correction.

But indeed, just like system 2, the smart system has an available 12V port (yellow) for third party connections. Due to the smart system being so new, it will take some time for third party companies to catch up and provide applicable connectors. I came in to let you know about the available cable to splice in.

Send pics of the setup!

@AvalancheRun glad you were able to get assistance from the dealer! I'm sorry about your experience when you called in to get information. That has been noted for correction.

But indeed, just like system 2, the smart system has an available 12V port (yellow) for third party connections. Due to the smart system being so new, it will take some time for third party companies to catch up and provide applicable connectors. I came in to let you know about the available cable to splice in.

Send pics of the setup!
Is there any way to obtain info on these outlets (voltages, in particular)?

Back