Smart system customisation of riding modes with speed motors

MD99

Region
New Zealand
City
Canterbury
I'm looking at a bike with a choice of the CX (32 kph) or High Speed (45 kph) motor, both Smart System. I notice that the Bosch website says:

"Customization of riding modes is not possible for speed eBikes".​
Speed line quote source. Found in the Technical section footnotes **.​
From this I'm assuming it applies to the 45 kph version.

Does this mean the selection of available modes cannot be changed, and/or the actual power curves for each mode cannot be altered?

Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, it would seem to negate one of the more interesting things about the Smart System.

foofer, you aren't talking about the Race edition are you? The Speed motor has been around for some time, and I have it on my 2020 bike, but it is the older Gen 4 non-smart type. I'm pretty certain the Smart versions have been around for a year at least.
For clarity, I'm talking about the Performance Line CX and the Performance Line Speed. Bosch full line up here.

I notice on another Bosch page:
*For speed eBikes, adjustment of riding modes is deactivated for legal reasons.
Source (do a search for the quote)​
If this is the case, I could understand if they did not allow you to increase the torque curve for this reason, but what if you wanted to decrease it? Can't see any issue there.

Ok I was thinking smart. To adjust the power curve you have to have either a nyon or kiox. And as far as I know it will let you adjust the power levels on all motors they work on. I know for sure performance and performance speed. You can’t adjust past the speed limit.

foofer, you aren't talking about the Race edition are you? The Speed motor has been around for some time, and I have it on my 2020 bike, but it is the older Gen 4 non-smart type. I'm pretty certain the Smart versions have been around for a year at least.
For clarity, I'm talking about the Performance Line CX and the Performance Line Speed. Bosch full line up here.
no I think the speed motors just started showing up. but you can tweet the power curves on anything that will run a Nyon or kiox. I don't know a lot about the smart systems its going to be awhile before I need a new bike.

For speed eBikes, adjustment of riding modes is deactivated for legal reasons.
Is that specifically applying to the US?

Certainly, in NZ, my 2020 Nyon equiped Bosch Performance Speed (Gen 4) can have custom power curves. I've used them for about three years.

Last edited:
Hi Peter,
That was actually the global english site, but thanks for picking that up. If I go to the NZ site the "Customization of riding modes is not possible for speed eBikes" becomes "It's not possible to customise your riding mode on S-pedelecs." Same thing different words. The other quote I have on legal definition is the same on the NZ site.

I'm going back to our LBS this week, it's one of the things to check out.
As a newbie to the ebike world I find all the different standards a bit of a mind game. We are lucky in NZ in having only the power output (max 300W) defined in regulations, whereas other countries are very much stricter. Problem is the bikes we get seem to be configured to regulations of the country of origin, not what is allowable in NZ.

I was hoping someone might have a newish Smart System Performance Line Speed to check it out for me, not the Nyon type Gen 4 system. Interesting to note you can do it on the older systems though. My current bike has an Intuvia, with which of course you cannot do any configuration at all.

@MD99: I do not own any Bosch e-bike but can tell you a thing or two about Bosch. The company is a stereotype of German bureaucracy and sticking to the rules to the letter. If Bosch makes a Speed motor, the company always thinks Europe first and only. A Bosch Speed e-bike would be Type Rated as a moped and come with the Euro Homologation Certificate. The e-bike would be equipped with numerous safety features required in Europe but not in New Zealand or the United States.

If Bosch writes you cannot adjust riding modes on a Smart System - Performance Line Speed , it must be true. Ironically...

1725908387186.png

As deep as I searched the page, I could not find the "five stars" reference!

As Speed e-bikes do not sell in Europe, several brands such as Specialized have discontinued making Euro Speed e-bikes. In the case of NZ or the US, Specialized simply unlocks the motor to 45 km/h or 28 mph and the problem is sorted. And yes, you can tune riding modes on Specialized NZ or US speed e-bikes.

Back