SL 1.1 Motor Rebuild

Dazmanturbo

I was reading through some of the Levo SL forums and came across a post about a chap rebuilding his 1.1 Motor. Officially Specialized state this is non serviceable, but it turns out full bearing kits are available so I picked on up. The chap with the Levo said that the sprag clutch was the main culprit for his motor noise and found this bearing to be in poor state when he opened the motor. He replaced it, greased the motor up and he know says it much quieter. With my motor on 5000 miles and well out of warranty, through it would be worth a go. Will wait for some poor weather, so the Creo is off the road for a few days.

This is who I got my kits from (in UK). https://www.ebikemotorcentre.com/mahle-1-1-bearings/

I have also seen another place that does the sprag clutch separate to

Attachments

• 396192204_7129378350426889_2997547468541044513_n.jpg
    396192204_7129378350426889_2997547468541044513_n.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 229
I was reading through some of the Levo SL forums and came across a post about a chap rebuilding his 1.1 Motor. Officially Specialized state this is non serviceable, but it turns out full bearing kits are available so I picked on up. The chap with the Levo said that the sprag clutch was the main culprit for his motor noise and found this bearing to be in poor state when he opened the motor. He replaced it, greased the motor up and he know says it much quieter. With my motor on 5000 miles and well out of warranty, through it would be worth a go. Will wait for some poor weather, so the Creo is off the road for a few days.

This is who I got my kits from (in UK). https://www.ebikemotorcentre.com/mahle-1-1-bearings/

A good news!

Here's a dealer in Spain:
Here's a dealer in Italy:

Thank you for the information! If I feel my SL 1.1 motor requires an overhaul, I will investigate more!

Hi Dazmanturbo, do you still have the link to the post on the chap rebuilding his 1.1 motor? I have searched for stuff on rebuilding these motors but I've never found anything. In fact I contacted www.ebikemotorcentre.com and although they sell the bearing kit they said that "these motors are extremely difficult to disassemble in some cases without custom tooling which we are currently developing/manufacturing." And I could not find any information from Specialized or Mahle on how to dismantle these motors - so much for right to repair! So I would be grateful for any information you have found.

I also have contacted eBike Motor Centre. I was informed that no service manuals are available. I found a few YouTube videos on how to remove the motor, but nothing on service/rebuild. If anyone has further information on rebuild instructions and/or experience, please post.

Hi Dazmanturbo, do you still have the link to the post on the chap rebuilding his 1.1 motor? I have searched for stuff on rebuilding these motors but I've never found anything. In fact I contacted www.ebikemotorcentre.com and although they sell the bearing kit they said that "these motors are extremely difficult to disassemble in some cases without custom tooling which we are currently developing/manufacturing." And I could not find any information from Specialized or Mahle on how to dismantle these motors - so much for right to repair! So I would be grateful for any information you have found.
I found the info on the Levo forum as follows and the last set on comments - https://www.emtbforums.com/threads/...ats-possible-and-whats-different.33882/page-4

The chap said it was easy to open (SL1.1). The 1.2 looks a different option and much harder

I have read where after rebuild kit installation, the system has to be “recalibrated”. Does anyone know definitively if this requires an authorized Specialized dealer, or can it be done DIY?

Well I believe this might be a World first!

I came across this posting on an Italian e-bike forum;

(Yes it's in Italian, so just put it through Google Translate and you're good to go!)

And even better, the guy has released a YouTube vid showing the strip down of the gear side of the motor!!;

(Again in Italian, but you can get auto generated English subtitles).

Please give ValeBG some appreciation, he's an e-bike tech hero IMHO!! :)

ps Thanks Dazmanturbo for your reply to my question.

These are ValeBG's instructions translated using Google from the text below the YouTube video;

"Remove cranks
Remove crown (spring ring)
Remove the motor from the mountain bike, marking the position of the screws
Unscrew the electrical connectors
Unscrew the screws on the chain side
Tap on the axle to open the cover on one side, being careful not to let anything fall to the ground
Unhook the snap ring in front of the freewheel
Knock the axle out of the bearing
Degrease and clean everything
Reassemble the various components paying attention to the assembly order
Check that the freewheel works in the right direction
If damaged (find some pieces of iron), replace it (cost around 30 euros)
Use white bearing grease on the freewheel, bearings
Use specific grease for emtb engines (I used Bosh) on the gears
The aluminum eccentric must be glued onto the freewheel hub
Reassemble everything, being careful not to pinch the gasket
Refit the screws with blue threadlocker (the longest ones go towards the crown)
Reassemble the engine (Be careful not to reverse the front screw with the central one (both are drilled but only the one on the chain guide has the M4 threaded hole)
Reassemble the cranks

Good work

Note: I take no responsibility for any incorrect operations or instructions performed during the video"

They seem to make sense (to me) in English but maybe any Italian speakers out there might be kind enough to verify that the translation is good.

And even better, if there's somebody out there who's worked on these motors, maybe they'd like to chip in with some tips / observations?

Awesome. Thank you for posting. Does anyone know if there are special (proprietary) tools required?

Please give ValeBG some appreciation, he's an e-bike tech hero IMHO!! :)

ps Thanks Dazmanturbo for your reply to my question.
What an awesome find, well done. Watched the video and seems pretty straight forward. The only special tools required and circlip pliers to help re-install the BB. Gives me lots of confidence to do the update. His sprag clutch was in poor state. Will look at doing this next week now, once I get some circlip pliers and thread locker

Awesome. Thank you for posting. Does anyone know if there are special (proprietary) tools required?
I think that's a mute point, if there are special tools needed, they would most likely be dealer only, Specialized wouldn't sell them to you, and I haven't seen any 3rd parties offering such tools.

IMO, only consider working on your motor if it's totally out of warranty and you're mechanically adroit and prepared to accept the risk that you might end up trashing it.

What an awesome find, well done. Watched the video and seems pretty straight forward. The only special tools required and circlip pliers to help re-install the BB. Gives me lots of confidence to do the update. His sprag clutch was in poor state. Will look at doing this next week now, once I get some circlip pliers and thread locker
It would be great if you could report back how the rebuild went.

Still waiting for the thread locker to be delivered. Got all the other bits I need and after watching the video, does seem an easy job. The time consuming part in installing all the bearing the the gear centers. I guess I can also tune the sound with grease to an extent?

Started the rebuild on the SL1.1. Removal from bike is easy, as is the strip to bare motor taking off arms and spider. Splitting the motor in 2 is more difficult than the video shows, as the metal sleeve on the outside of the bearing cups hold it in place and they are solidly mounted and need to knocked out with rubber mallet. After 5000+ mile on my motor, the unit was well greased and the bearing where still dead smooth. The sprag clutch did show signs of wear, so I will replace this. I need to removed the bearing shroud from other side, which will require and more mallet and daylight, so will continue tomorrow.

Back