Single speed or 7 speed?

patrizioeb

I'm having a hard time deciding between the single speed or the 7-speed.
Has anybody purchase the single speed? Opinions? Is it sufficient for fairly flat terrain? Thanks.

I don't have a Propella, but let me throw in my two sents on single speed versus 7 speed ...

Do you ride a conventional bicycle in your area? If so, do you use gears or ride a single speed? I think this is a matter of personal preference. On an ebike, you will get longer battery range if you do more of the work yourself, which being able to shift will help you to do. That said, I live in a very hilly area (love my 7 speed!) and my neighbor rides a single speed conventional bike because he thinks it gives a great workout. Personal preference is what it's all about. :)

I'm having a hard time deciding between the single speed or the 7-speed.
Has anybody purchase the single speed? Opinions? Is it sufficient for fairly flat terrain? Thanks.

Can you share a bit more info ? Are you considering an e-Bike or a traditional bike. You wrote...." the single speed or the 7-speed. "
I take that to mean you have a specific bike in mind ? Do you have a budget, if so about how much would you like to spend.
Are you going to cruise around town, rail trails or ride on the road for longer distances.

If you provide answers to some or all of these questions, there are many fine, knowledgeable folks that will help...Like 'ebikemom'
who's off a great start. :)

I don't have a Propella, but let me throw in my two sents on single speed versus 7 speed ...

Do you ride a conventional bicycle in your area? If so, do you use gears or ride a single speed? I think this is a matter of personal preference. On an ebike, you will get longer battery range if you do more of the work yourself, which being able to shift will help you to do. That said, I live in a very hilly area (love my 7 speed!) and my neighbor rides a single speed conventional bike because he thinks it gives a great workout. Personal preference is what it's all about. :)
Thanks for your prompt and thoughtful reply. I've never ridden a single speed... and I haven't been on a bike in the last 20 years. I used to ride a lot and now I'm trying to get back into 'light' riding... at age 72. Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you share a bit more info ? Are you considering an e-Bike or a traditional bike. You wrote...." the single speed or the 7-speed. "
I take that to mean you have a specific bike in mind ? Do you have a budget, if so about how much would you like to spend.
Are you going to cruise around town, rail trails or ride on the road for longer distances.

If you provide answers to some or all of these questions, there are many fine, knowledgeable folks that will help...Like 'ebikemom'
who's off a great start. :)

Thanks for your great questions. I'm thinking of getting a Propella for mostly flat riding around town, no trails, no hills. I used to ride a lot up to about 20 years ago and now I'm trying to get back into 'light' riding. I walk 2-3 miles a day four or five days a week., I'm 72 & in pretty good health. I probably would like to spend no more than $2,200... but less if possible. Thanks again for your great questions.

On the flats, being able to shift down when stopping to make starting again easier can be a helpful thing if one gets a knee tweak. I have a throttle so don't need to do that when my knee acts up (I use a throttle start). :)

On the flats, being able to shift down when stopping to make starting again easier can be a helpful thing if one gets a knee tweak. I have a throttle so don't need to do that when my knee acts up (I use a throttle start). :)
Thanks! I had not thought of stopping and starting at traffic lights, etc.

If you’re doing that kind of light riding, would it be possible to find a single speed bike with a throttle? If you’re biking after a long hiatus, and have disabilities, shifting gears is one more thing to have to coordinate/think about.

Thanks for responding with all the info.... Which bike to buy ? There are as many good bikes as there are folks to recommend them and since $2,200
your top $$ you'll do just fine.

I have no knowledge about the Propella bike line so I'm unable to comment. My thoughts , unless you're willing to 'go it alone' with support. repairs
etc should you have a problem, I would seriously consider doing business with a quality local or semi local bike shop that shows
a real interest in your business. Consider one of the national brands. Pedego has great bikes and a great dealer network, ebikemom can help you
on that score.

I'm 72 and ride well over 3000 miles a season, you're going to have a ton of fun...Enjoy

Thanks for responding with all the info.... Which bike to buy ? There are as many good bikes as there are folks to recommend them and since $2,200

I have no knowledge about the Propella bike line so I'm unable to comment. My thoughts , unless you're willing to 'go it alone' with support. repairs
etc should you have a problem, I would seriously consider doing business with a quality local or semi local bike shop that shows
a real interest in your business. Consider one of the national brands. Pedego has great bikes and a great dealer network, ebikemom can help you
on that score.

I'm 72 and ride well over 3000 miles a season, you're going to have a ton of fun...Enjoy
Pedego bikes have throttles, and their comfort cruiser is right in that price range.

If you’re doing that kind of light riding, would it be possible to find a single speed bike with a throttle? If you’re biking after a long hiatus, and have disabilities, shifting gears is one more thing to have to coordinate/think about.
Thanks. Are there any single speed bikes with a throttle? I'll have to research that.

on that score.

Thanks John for your reply. Most encouraging to hear that you are my age AND ride 3000 miles a season. What e-bike do you have? Would you buy it again? Thanks!

a real interest in your business. Consider one of the national brands.

and a great dealer network, ebikemom can help you
on that score.

on that score.

Thanks John. I'll have to start checking our local shops, just trying to get enough information and knowledge before going to the shops. (I realize that I still have a lot to learn!)

Concerning Pedego, as far as I can tell, their bike exceed my price limit of $2,200 (out the door).

One reason I was leaning toward Propella is that I like that they are light bikes -I used to have a very light Cannondale and loved it-- but unfortunately no local service/dealers in the Dallas area.

Concerning Pedego, as far as I can tell, their bike exceed my price limit of $2,200 (out the door).

Ask if your local Pedego dealers in Dallas & Ft Worth participate in the certified pre-loved program, my local dealer sells his ex-rentals with a warranty for under $2,000. Also check out Lone Star Ebikes of Salado, TX, they have sale ebikes.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information. I'll check and see if you're part of that program.

It’s a good way to get a nice ebike for a decent price and have peace of mind, but for clarity sake my local Pedego dealer is in Alexandria, VA, (Todd Ketch, he’s a great guy). I encountered Lone Star Ebikes when looking through Black Friday sales online last fall.

Last edited:
Back