Should I wait to buy my 1st e-bike?

Trek and Specialized are even MORE $$$$ than pedego...Unless you get the base 250watt no suspension models.....

FYI, I've had suspension and been underwhelmed with it because it adds a lot of weight and absorbs pedaling energy. A simpler suspension seat post will do much more for comfort. As far as "the base 250watt", it's a fallacy to think that a 250w 'mid-drive' isn't enough power. It will climb any hill and take you anywhere. The bikes only weigh around 46# with battery, and they have a 40 mile range. Test ride before you buy anything.

I appreciate all the replies.. We ride our regular bikes quite often but I'm sure we'd ride a LOT more with e-bikes so they are definitely in our future.. I'll keep reading the reviews, it's a daunting task to pick two e-bikes from all the offerings. P.S.. Just looked at offerings from Giant, very nice and less than Trek or Specialized, thanks

If you're considering giant, be aware they just released the 2019 range so theoretically the 2018 stock should come down in price ( it did in australia a couple of weeks ago)

Make sure you are familiar with the different motors ( they use yamaha rebranded) , eg the pwx offers more support and also quicker engagement.

their3018 range motors seem to sit a bit lower than other brands like specialized / trek etc, and there are no aftermarket bashguards available to replace the plastic guard when you break it - some other brands are moving to alloy motor guards in 2019...rockguardz produce carbon plates for specialized 2018 but not giant

I can assure you DDBB that you will ride more with an eBike. I live on my Social Security, and by American standards am “poor”. But my eBike purchase was a great investment for me. It has improved my quality of life, health, and state of mind.

I have been on two wheels bicycles/motorcycles since I was a child. It is great joy to be able to continue to do so. Because of poor vision I can no longer get a drivers license, but eBikes have helped me keep my independence, and provided a fun and healthful hobby.

If you're considering giant, be aware they just released the 2019 range so theoretically the 2018 stock should come down in price ( it did in australia a couple of weeks ago)

Make sure you are familiar with the different motors ( they use yamaha rebranded) , eg the pwx offers more support and also quicker engagement.

their3018 range motors seem to sit a bit lower than other brands like specialized / trek etc, and there are no aftermarket bashguards available to replace the plastic guard when you break it - some other brands are moving to alloy motor guards in 2019...rockguardz produce carbon plates for specialized 2018 but not giant
Yup, got a 2019 Fathom E+ a couple of weeks ago. I'm in Canada. I asked about a reduced price for a 2018 Dirt E+ but was denied. For all I know that doesn't apply two weeks later, Lol!
Anyway, my Fathom has a PW motor, which Giant calls "Sport".
Not sure what you're into, but this is plenty good for me.
As stated, try whatever you can.
This place is a great resource!

I appreciate all the replies.. We ride our regular bikes quite often but I'm sure we'd ride a LOT more with e-bikes so they are definitely in our future.. I'll keep reading the reviews, it's a daunting task to pick two e-bikes from all the offerings. P.S.. Just looked at offerings from Giant, very nice and less than Trek or Specialized, thanks
Yamaha's are even better than the Giant's and better pricing for the high quality components.

Yamaha's are even better than the Giant's and better pricing for the high quality components.

Can you explain this?

I'm just comparing, say the yamaha ydx torc with the giant dirt e+ pro, as an example - similar price range, both have the pwx motor and 500 w battery, slx gears, but the giant has the higher spec forks ( revelation vs recon) as well as wider 2.6 inch tyres.

I recognise you're a dealer so probably have a much wider knowledge than us consumers, but on paper the giant range seems to offer higher specs in similar price ranges plus the option or MUCH higher spec if you want to get serious ( eg the trance sx full e+ pro makes me drool...)

I'd assume giant has several decades of mtb design so would presumably have the geometry advantage over yamaha?

With the ever changing (improving) technology I'm wondering if it would be smart to wait until next year.
DDBB ...
That was my dilemma earlier this year. I had decided on the make and model of my dream ebike but the 2018 model just needed - in my mind and, I think, in the minds of quite a few other EBR Forum members - a few major technological upgrades like electronic gear changing, Gates belt drive and a dual battery system. That's serious wishful thinking, of course, but it came to pass that every one of those wishes was delivered and the ebike won the Eurobike Gold Award. Sometimes, it's worth waiting.
... DB

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted a Ebike since 2015. Waited for prices to come down on them. In that time, lots of " Cheap " chinese made Ebikes started coming to Market.... Bikes like the RAD ROVER for example. I didn't want a cheap chinese bike, even if it was relatively good. I wanted a truly high end grade E mountain bike. Of course the prices on Trek or Specialized Ebikes have still not come down. And they are extremely rare to see offered up for sale used on my local Craigslist.

I ended up doing a little research a few months ago and came across the brand HAIBIKE. Saw that they have a slew of 2017 models on sale. After everything I read on them and finding a local dealer with a few models in stock ( that they prepped and let me take for a extended test ride ) I knew I wanted one. Found a online seller in California who was able to sell my the bike I wanted for a few hundred less than the clearance sales price and no sales tax or shipping fees. Saved my about 600$ over buying the same bike at my local dealer. Was so impressed with the bike that I ordered a second one so the wife would have one.

The 2017 clearance bikes are about all sold one. Seems they still have a few models left but most are sold out. But the pricing on 2018 models isn't bad at all. Well within what you would spend on the bike you have already looked at. And like I said, even the cheapest HAIBIKE is high end compared to the most expensive Chinese bikes.

And as far as dealer support ( if you don't have a HAIBIKE dealer nearby ) you have to remember, a bike is a bike. Any bike shop can work on the bike. The only things special is the motor, battery and display. I have not checked my odometer lately but combined I would say both my our HAIBIKES have around 600 miles on them. Low compared to the miles some have on their bikes but bear in mind we are only riding these bike on the trails, not on greenways or sidewalks or commuting to work. And although the wife is relatively easy on her bike, I am riding my bike hard, and generally at speeds that are higher than all but the fastest non ebike riders at these trail systems we ride. The ONLY thing I have had happen to my bikes was a speed sensor broke on my bike, but I was able to fix it myself with some epoxy. And the wifes bike needed some adjustment to the rear derailleur cause it was having a hard time staying in one gear or another.

https://shopsandiegoflyrides.com/collections/haibike-electric-bikes?page=1

Meant to also add, Since getting the HAIBIKES, we ride a ton more than before, and always look forward to riding. We will also ride trails we would dread to ride before, since these bikes make going up hills a breeze. I am 46, the wife is 40. We are fit enough that we don't NEED ebikes... But having Ebikes has made mountain biking much more enjoyable.

wow, great replies from everyone... No Haibike or Yamaha dealer around here so I'm focusing on Giant for now.. Specialized and Trek are also fairly close but cost a lot more than Giant. I did like the pedego but they are also very expensive. Now if there was a Merida dealer within 2 hours I'd be the "shut up and take my money" poster boy. The e160 900E is my dream machine. Sadly I don't see Merida ANYWHERE in the USA

Here's something regarding getting your bike serviced that you might want to check out. Rad Power Bikes (https://www.radpowerbikes.com/) has worked out a deal with this company where they are an authorized service and warranty service center - mobile style. They can do everything that might need to be done, including assembly of the bike prior to delivering it to your house.

https://www.velofix.com/

And for what it's worth, especially knowing what I know now after experiencing an e-bike, there's no way I would endorse waiting - for anything. I figure by time technology has improved to the point I wish I had waited, I'll buy another then!

I ended up doing a little research a few months ago and came across the brand HAIBIKE. Saw that they have a slew of 2017 models on sale. After everything I read on them and finding a local dealer with a few models in stock ( that they prepped and let me take for a extended test ride ) I knew I wanted one. Found a online seller in California who was able to sell my the bike I wanted for a few hundred less than the clearance sales price and no sales tax or shipping fees. Saved my about 600$ over buying the same bike at my local dealer. Was so impressed with the bike that I ordered a second one so the wife would have one.
I always hate to read a story like this one. I was a small businessman for 8 years, and it really disturbs me. To find a local dealer that would let you take extended test rides, and invest the time to visit and explain the product line, is a real advantage. But yet you didn't feel any loyalty to them, or any value to having a local business survive, for even one of the purchases. Don't you see any advantage to local sales taxes and local employment? Now we have local options around me. When I bought my bikes in 2016, I had to drive out of state to find a selection. But I still bought at a local bike shop.

I don't understand your animosity rich.. The first thing I did was look for a local dealer.. Yes, I appreciate the value of being able to test ride and supporting the community (even though it's not MY community).. Sadly, the only brand this shop sold and serviced was/is Pedego.. For me, I believe there are better options for my needs. My next visit will be to a Giant dealer, again, not in my town but an hours drive from here.. I WANT to buy local and from a dealer where I can get service and warranty work done and realize the value of that.

I don't understand your animosity rich...

Rich's response is justified based upon what you said in your post that he quoted. I agree with him. Maneuvering consumers who 'use' a local brick-and-mortar shop's service, then make the purchase from an online discounter to save a few dollars deserve no respect.

Rich's response is justified based upon what you said in your post that he quoted. I agree with him. Maneuvering consumers who 'use' a local brick-and-mortar shop's service, then make the purchase from an online discounter to save a few dollars deserve no respect.
I haven't made a purchase yet..I'm also trying to AVOID buying from an online discounter. I'm going to drive an hour to the Giant dealer and test ride one of those... I am NOT going to buy a bike I don't want simply because the dealer is close (relatively) and to support his town and business. I do the same when buying a new car. I test drive models I'm interested in, compare the specs and make a purchase decision based on that criteria and also how far away from my residence the dealer is. I don't feel I should have to buy based on the dealers willingness to let me test drive. If this is "using" then I guess I'm a user but in the end, someone still gets my money. Hopefully it's someone local but with e-bikes, that isn't going to happen because there are no dealers here. Last resort for me would be to buy an e-bike online. I don't understand why RIch's post is "justified based upon what I said in my post"

Now if there was a Merida dealer within 2 hours I'd be the "shut up and take my money" poster boy. The e160 900E is my dream machine. Sadly I don't see Merida ANYWHERE in the USA

Merida purchased a large stake in Specialized in 2001. It is my understanding that by agreement, they do not market Merida bikes here in the USA. In exchange, Specialized agreed to only use Merida as their supplier for frames (Giant formerly made some Specialized.)

Just called the nearest Giant bike dealer an hour away.. I am interested in the Stance E.. He told me they carry only two models from the e-bike lineup and would not be carrying the Stance E "because we don't want e-mtn bikes on, or tearing up our trails".... Hrummpf.. I was wondering how bad the purists might hate e-bikes on the trails, now I know

He would be a fool to not take your money as that is what he is in business for. I would tell him this is my bike to do as I see fit and not to worry, you won't be tearing up his trails. The link to velofix is another option if you want to get the bike you want. if you have one that services your area. My local bike shop had 4 models on the floor but they were not the models I wanted. I said if you can get me the Raleigh I want, we got a deal. He was quick to say i can get that bike for you.

Back