Should I buy a Vado SL, or Wait for the Release of the Version with the 1.2 Motor?

I wonder if you set the new 1.2 to the same torque and power as the current 1.1 whether you will get more range as they are touting the "efficiency" of the new design.

I love the 1.1 for its analog feel; no real need for more power or torque in my case.

The new motor offers no real weight savings either from what I've read.
The Specialized comparison efficiency charts of the SL 1.2 vs Fazua or TQ show the new motor efficiency at around 80%. I estimate the efficiency of the SL 1.1 as 79% so where's the big deal? I also simply do not trust the 120 mile range estimate.

Reactions: GAJ
Yeah, I'm just not seeing the need for us TV 5.0 SL riders (or 4.0) to consider a change.

Nothing burger unlike on the MB SLs where the added torque might be welcome.

I like the concept of this bike. I rode the current version and thought it was very loud. I own a Turbo Tero 5.0 and it is very quiet in comparison. For me, I would wait for the new version unless the motor whine doesn't bother you.

I like the concept of this bike. I rode the current version and thought it was very loud. I own a Turbo Tero 5.0 and it is very quiet in comparison. For me, I would wait for the new version unless the motor whine doesn't bother you.

Never bothered me in the least.

I have the same question of buy 5 SL 1.1 now or 5 SL 1.2 later.... If a choice is made for later, does anyone have thoughts on if it would be this year or next?
No clue on timing or pricing. Though it does appear that 1.1 inventory is limited now ... From experience this is subject to change and fluctuation.
When the discount was deeper back in June I was watching the same inventory like a hawk and snapped my size and color up believing it may be the last opportunity. Since that time all sizes and all colors have come and gone and come and gone and come and gone.
It is difficult for me to believe that the now depleted sizes and colors will not be coming back again before the 1.2 release..... Assuming there will be one.

No clue on timing or pricing. Though it does appear that 1.1 inventory is limited now ... From experience this is subject to change and fluctuation.
When the discount was deeper back in June I was watching the same inventory like a hawk and snapped my size and color up believing it may be the last opportunity. Since that time all sizes and all colors have come and gone and come and gone and come and gone.
It is difficult for me to believe that the now depleted sizes and colors will not be coming back again before the 1.2 release..... Assuming there will be one.
Many thanks. I may need to just toss that coin that was suggested back at the start of the thread.

The Specialized comparison efficiency charts of the SL 1.2 vs Fazua or TQ show the new motor efficiency at around 80%. I estimate the efficiency of the SL 1.1 as 79% so where's the big deal? I also simply do not trust the 120 mile range estimate.

Spec mentioned a 3% improvement in efficiency between the 1.1 and 1.2 motors, ie negligible. I expect any real world improved ranges reported between levo sl 1/2 's has more to do with frame efficiency +/- placebo than a 3% motor improvement?

Spec mentioned a 3% improvement in efficiency between the 1.1 and 1.2 motors, ie negligible. I expect any real world improved ranges reported between levo sl 1/2 's has more to do with frame efficiency +/- placebo than a 3% motor improvement?
I think the major benefit of the SL 1.2 motor is its improved climbing capability (which I missed on the SL 1.1 a little bit). Were I to buy a new e-bike that would probably be the new Creo 2. Not because of the motor but because I'd like to own a true gravel e-bike.

I think the major benefit of the SL 1.2 motor is its improved climbing capability (which I missed on the SL 1.1 a little bit). Were I to buy a new e-bike that would probably be the new Creo 2. Not because of the motor but because I'd like to own a true gravel e-bike.

For me, it's the noise, with the potential improved reliability via a different spline coming a close second. I'm not fussed about an extra 15 nm torque - in fact, the original owner of my lsl tried a 1.2 in his kenevo sl and said he couldn't feel the difference.

Of the 3 1.1's I've had, the second was quiet enough that I'd have never bothered upgrading, the current one is quiet enough that I'm waiting until warranty runs out ( or it dies) - by which stage I'll have some hard decisions - buy a second gen bike / another brand vs try and source a 1.2 motor

I'm not fussed about an extra 15 nm torque - in fact, the original owner of my lsl tried a 1.2 in his kenevo sl and said he couldn't feel the difference.
The torque might be irrelevant for your applications but the increased peak power could be vital for me in gravel cycling. Sometimes, the 100% Turbo of the SL 1.1 was not enough for me to catch up with the main group on asphalt (and losing the touch with the group on a group ride is bad). I dreamed of having 120% Turbo in such situations... Of course, I would not ride at full SL 1.2 Turbo for a long time! Just to restore the contact with the group.

I actually appreciate the noise. It‘s how I know the motor is assisting as it’s usually too subtle otherwise.

Hello EMBR forums,

I procrastinated about the same question in this thread since August '23, but finally bit the bullet and picked up a Vado SL 5.0 EQ two weeks ago. My first e-bike. In fact my first bike purchase since 1996, when I was working temporarily in the US and blagged a Specialized Stumpjumper for a fraction of what it would have cost me in the UK. I've been riding the Stumpy ever since but I'm looking forward to exploring what my Vado SL can do for me.

These forums have been really useful for me in finally making a purchasing decision - Thank you all!!

Last edited:
It seems like there is still no word on when a Vado SL with the new 1.2 motor will be available.
My feeling is the scenario could be:
  • 2025 models announced and available from Autumn 2024
  • A new very expensive model by the name of Specialized Turbo Vado X SL
  • The frame based on Sirrus X 5.0
  • Possibly, a carbon fibre version by S-Works :)
The current Vado SL is so good there's no other reason to upgrade it with the SL 1.2 than to mine more gold from the users :)

1710980769617.png

A sporty gravel version of a Vado SL 1.1 in the foreground.

Last edited:
My feeling is the scenario could be:
  • 2025 models announced and available from Autumn 2024
  • A new very expensive model by the name of Specialized Turbo Vado X SL
  • The frame based on Sirrus X 5.0
  • Possibly, a carbon fibre version by S-Works :)
The current Vado SL is so good there's no other reason to upgrade it with the SL 1.1 than to mine more gold from the users :)

View attachment 172870
A sporty gravel version of a Vado SL 1.1 in the foreground.
I feel the same way. I don’t think you should feel any FOMO for the Creo 2 either. It’s so similar (and yes, I know drops don’t work for you!)

Back