Shorter adult: 750W Bafang, step-through, mid-drive, suspension fork

sdtr443w

I'm trying to identify a good bike for my mother for Christmas. She used to cycle--particularly mountain biking--a lot but gave it all up when she was taking care of my father. She used to ride a small adult's frame. Her pants inseam is self-reported at 24.5"-25". She has a comfortable pair of pants that go below her ankle at 26.5". She's not so flexible any more and can only reasonably do a step-through now. I can try to get more numbers if they matter.

I have made it kind of hard for myself to identify a good bike due to imposing a lot of requirements. So I come here for help. I have my motivations for most things:
1. A 750W Bafang motor would be in the same league as the other electric bikes we have so I will find it easier to have to deal with their maintenance. Our other bikes are also high-wattage and I want her to be able to keep up. I would prefer Bafang out of consistency too.
2. The frame must be step-through. She needs to be able to comfortably mount it and stand over it at traffic lights.
3. Mid-drive: Consistent with my other bikes and I don't have to juggle maintaining rear-hub with everything else.
4. Suspension fork: Our bike lanes are inconsistent and I expect she'll have to hobble over grass. Then I expect her to quietly show her wild streak and take it offroad.
5. Fat tire lower priority: Similarly this puts us in line with my other bikes but I am far less committed to this. A fat tire raises the bike so it works against me when it comes to a comfortable height. I think anything with 24" fat tires is a no-go. I suspect 20" might work.
6. Battery: Not mentioned but I think it needs at least 10Ah. I would prefer 15+Ah. The battery should be removeable.
7. Rear rack for panniers. I expect her to run errands with it.

I'd also prefer to avoid a folding frame and an electric bike that doesn't look much like a conventional bike. I know that a lot of folding frames have smaller tires.

I want to keep my budget under $2999. So, more like $2700 in the US.

Things I've looked at:
My personal bike is a Bolton Foxbat. They just announced a step-through frame but it's too tall. Their alternatives are folding models. I already asked them about it. I also considered a Dost Drop but it's also too tall.

Check out the Dost bikes. They have a 750 watt bafang mid drive. They have a step through with a front suspension. They offer a dual battery if you want another battery at a 50 percent discount which is pretty cool. The only bummer with those bikes is that they use a cadence sensor I believe.

Liv amite E+ comes in a xtra small frame and has a yamaha mid drive. These are reputed to be very natural to ride. The 2020 version was $2600 when i checked, but I think they were telling me the factory didn't have any more xtra small. they said check your local retailer, but no retailer anywhere stocks extra small anything. I had to order my small bike from 2500 miles away & hope it fit. (it did, sort of).

Good Lord, buy a "Maxfoot" cruiser they have a step through 750 watt cruiser for around $1300 and the Bafang hub drive feeds off a 26 amp controller it will pull you through,why do you think hub drives have more maintenance?( around 13 Ah with 180 mm rotors,, they even have a nice trike for around $2300 it will work( how about a Purple paint job?)

I'm trying to identify a good bike for my mother for Christmas. She used to cycle--particularly mountain biking--a lot but gave it all up when she was taking care of my father. She used to ride a small adult's frame. Her pants inseam is self-reported at 24.5"-25". She has a comfortable pair of pants that go below her ankle at 26.5". She's not so flexible any more and can only reasonably do a step-through now. I can try to get more numbers if they matter.

I have made it kind of hard for myself to identify a good bike due to imposing a lot of requirements. So I come here for help. I have my motivations for most things:
1. A 750W Bafang motor would be in the same league as the other electric bikes we have so I will find it easier to have to deal with their maintenance. Our other bikes are also high-wattage and I want her to be able to keep up. I would prefer Bafang out of consistency too.
2. The frame must be step-through. She needs to be able to comfortably mount it and stand over it at traffic lights.
3. Mid-drive: Consistent with my other bikes and I don't have to juggle maintaining rear-hub with everything else.
4. Suspension fork: Our bike lanes are inconsistent and I expect she'll have to hobble over grass. Then I expect her to quietly show her wild streak and take it offroad.
5. Fat tire lower priority: Similarly this puts us in line with my other bikes but I am far less committed to this. A fat tire raises the bike so it works against me when it comes to a comfortable height. I think anything with 24" fat tires is a no-go. I suspect 20" might work.
6. Battery: Not mentioned but I think it needs at least 10Ah. I would prefer 15+Ah. The battery should be removeable.
7. Rear rack for panniers. I expect her to run errands with it.

I'd also prefer to avoid a folding frame and an electric bike that doesn't look much like a conventional bike. I know that a lot of folding frames have smaller tires.

I want to keep my budget under $2999. So, more like $2700 in the US.

Things I've looked at:
My personal bike is a Bolton Foxbat. They just announced a step-through frame but it's too tall. Their alternatives are folding models. I already asked them about it. I also considered a Dost Drop but it's also too tall.
What did you end up getting?

My mom had some varicose veins removed and wasn't supposed to cycle for upwards of two months so I didn't end up getting anything. I had settled on one of the Biktrix offerings.

The fuss with hub-drive is that it'd be a different system from the other bikes so I'd be having to figure out how to work with that separately from the mid-drives I already have.

My mom had some varicose veins removed and wasn't supposed to cycle for upwards of two months so I didn't end up getting anything. I had settled on one of the Biktrix offerings.

The fuss with hub-drive is that it'd be a different system from the other bikes so I'd be having to figure out how to work with that separately from the mid-drives I already have.
Hope your mom is back to top shape soon bro. 👍

Back