Shortage of e-bikes?

darksky

Region
USA
I see a lot of posts regarding the lack of e-bike inventory, long wait times, etc. Since purchasing two Boomerangs (26" & 24") in February, my local Pedego dealer continues to be well stocked with bikes. They post their sales on their Facebook site and are selling several bikes every week with new shipments coming in at regular intervals. It seems that Pedego doesn't have the inventory problem other brands are experiencing.

Yeah, a winter visitor saw me riding one of my ebikes and asked me where I got it. I told him "on the internet, but it took awhile to get it". He was only here for the winter and wanted something right away. He trotted down to the Pedgeo dealer here in Palm Springs and bought himself a husband and wife pair of Pedegos the next day. I assume he is happy...

Nothing wrong with Pedego if you have one or two three thousand dollar bills in your wallet, that you're not using. They still sell quite a few models with rack mount rear battery packs, but they meet the needs of their customers. I like the styling of those better than some of the competition that have massively thick frames with integrated packs. They got mid drives now too.

If you want a low step, I doubt there's anything much lower than a Boomerang.

The Boomerang is based on Biria Easy Boarding bike. I bought a new Biria and did a simple conversion for not much more than $1000 total including the bike. My wife loves it and she gets compliments whenever she rides. It is powerful enough that on hills she passes fit looking road bikers, much to their amazement because they often don't realize that it is an ebike since it is almost silent.

20210406_181251.jpg

I should have said that the Boomerang design appears based on the Biria, not much difference. There are a couple other bike makers who look to have patterned their bikes after Biria with some minor differences. Unless they were first and the Biria patterned the Easy Boarding after their frame designs, not that I care about who was first. Lots of bike frames from different manufacturers look the same, there are only so many ways to make a bike frame.

I see a lot of posts regarding the lack of e-bike inventory, long wait times, etc. Since purchasing two Boomerangs (26" & 24") in February, my local Pedego dealer continues to be well stocked with bikes. They post their sales on their Facebook site and are selling several bikes every week with new shipments coming in at regular intervals. It seems that Pedego doesn't have the inventory problem other brands are experiencing.
Back in March of 2020 the first Ebikes I looked at were at a Pedego shop which was about 45 miles from me. Everything else was 2 or 3 hundred miles away. The shop was closed due to covid but I could at least see the models they sold. I then looked around the WWW and read a bunch of EBR reviews. After that I ordered a Rad Rover ST which they had one of in stock and had it by mid April and have been more than pleased ever since. Now I'm waiting for a Rad Mini ST. which is supposed to ship by July 31. Anyway based on what I've seen maybe the reason Pedego have lots of stock is because their bikes are overpriced.

Is it possible to internally route wires on your bike?
Yellow%20EB%20Electric-final.jpg
I could but hiding the wires wasn't important to me and my wife doesn't care. The bottom connecting tube has plastic plugs at the front and back so that part could easily be hidden if I was inclined.

I see the Biria version is $2250 and comes in fewer colors, my wife wouldn't have gone for a red or yellow one.

I haven't read a bad owner experience here on the forum about Pedego. I haven't read all the posts though. They seem to support their customers very well. They also moved their operations from mainland China, so they might have a more stable supply chain than some other brands.

I haven't read a bad owner experience here on the forum about Pedego. I haven't read all the posts though. They seem to support their customers very well. They also moved their operations from mainland China, so they might have a more stable supply chain than some other brands.
A big plus is they lobbied hard for throttles for disabled riders. Probably a big reason we have class 2 bikes in the USA.

Nothing wrong with Pedego if you have one or two three thousand dollar bills in your wallet, that you're not using. They still sell quite a few models with rack mount rear battery packs, but they meet the needs of their customers. I like the styling of those better than some of the competition that have massively thick frames with integrated packs. They got mid drives now too.

If you want a low step, I doubt there's anything much lower than a Boomerang.

They seem kindof like an apple store (with corresponding high prices). I have been to a pedego store and was impressed with the store and staff. At the time(early spring 2019) I was interested in their new mid-drive eTMB the elevate. I just couldnt get myself to pay that much for a bike with an off brand fork. I was also looking for a great deal and pedego doesnt negotiate on price or have sales.

Pedego is an excellent bike brand for some people. My opinion is they cater to older people who dont know anything about bikes and might have visited an LBS and been turned off by the typical LBS attitude.

I have a neighbor who fits this profile and wanted to get an ebike after seeing my collection. He and his wife love their Ridge Riders. They get temporary bikes when they take their bikes in for service.

Last edited:
That group of customers that can afford eBikes, want to buy from a store, and don't want attitude from a clerk is exactly who I would want buying from me if I had a LBS.

Pedego bikes are low in inventory…We have 4 stores here in Minnesota and we have been on a waiting list for 6 weeks at all 4 stores plus I called Pedego and the 2 bikes we want are out of stock..City Commuter Lite and City Commuter Classic…Frustrating…

I was at my store in Eugene, OR yesterday and they had at least 1/2 dozen City Commuters. Strange how some stores can't get certain models and others have plenty in stock.

I was at my store in Eugene, OR yesterday and they had at least 1/2 dozen City Commuters. Strange how some stores can't get certain models and others have plenty in stock.
Yea…Interesting..You would think of 4 stores here in Minnesota we would be able to purchase the bike we want..28” city commuter lite and city commuter classic 28 step thru(red)…The lite went up in price 200 bucks since we got on a waiting list…

The Pedego LBS I frequent has several City Commuter Platinum edition bikes in stock but the City Commuter Lite and Classic models are backordered. The dealer says it is likely a price issue since the lite and classic models are $1000 cheaper.

Can't find any Boomerang Platinums in Florida. There are some in NY and they will ship to my local dealer but I'd have to pay shipping cost (which the dealer wouldn't quote).

Back