Short Guy here Looking for Right Fit.

Jerry LM

Been lurking on You Tube etc. looked at a pile of reviews and so on concerning bikes and have become very interested in getting one. I am fortunate in that there is a bike store an hours drive from my home so yesterday decided to pay a visit and possibly purchase one.
My wife and I walked into a sea of them must have at least 50 on the floor and many different brands. Great! but then I stopped and noticed these things are very large. I am a short person 5'8" maybe a bit less and an inseam of only 28", so the first one I tried to sit on was a challenge for sure, couldn't get my leg over the thing and the seat is way to high for me. It seemed they were all very large in size and a bit intimidating for me.
First thing I realized is a step thru is a must for me, unless I carry a step stool with me. So I eliminated all the cross member frames and concentrated on those, but the saddle height was still to high as I can't come to a stop and put my feet down on the ground, just make me feel unstable.
The dealer then showed me the Evo Street with 26" wheels and it fit me, I could place my feet on the ground and the whole bike seems smaller, like me. The other one that was close was the Magnum step thru I think a Metro also with 26" tires, he had another don't remember the model from Magnum that was very upgraded in all ways but can't remember the name of it. It was sold however so I didn't get to try it.
As far as price the Evo is a thousand dollars more than the Magnum, not sure it it's that much better? But I really liked the integrated battery in the frame, makes it much less obvious for sure, very nice looking and can be charged on the bike.
At this point taking a little break to read more as it gets Very Overwhelming with all the brands and features. The Evo only goes to 20mph as well how important that is I don't know, my wife feels that's fast enough and I don't need 28 mph, she may have a point, I'm 76 now and don't bounce back as well as I did years ago...LOL Thanks for listening if you read this and I would welcome any feedback or advice from those of you experienced riders, I will primarily be on local hard surface streets don't see going off road except a few bike trails that are hard pack and paved. Jerry

PS: I should mention I live right on the ocean on the coast route 1 in central Oregon so if I ride the coast in the winter months there is virtually no traffic and scenery to spare but the road is all up and down and curves, so hill climbing will definitely be of primary importance to me. I also feel the hydraulic brakes will be a needed option.

Last edited:
I just got my first ebike, a Kalkhoff Agattu B7. (I also live in Western Oregon, though not on the coast.) The Agattu B7 was the first bike I test rode, in an XS size, which was actually a little too small for me (31" inseam), but with your shorter inseam, the XS may be a good fit. Here's a video review of the B7 from a San Francisco shop owner who is very short and talks about that in her review:

As you can see, it's a step through, with an internal rear hub, which is what I really wanted because of our wet winters. I've only been using it a few days, but I love it. Melts the hills away. It's also relatively inexpensive. Good luck, let us know what you do.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it , this is one of the bikes my dealer here in Eugene carries. There were a lot of bikes there and I missed this one but I see he gave me a brochure for it in the stuff I brought home. I am kind of whittling down to the Surface, Magnum, and Evo street so will look at the reviews on this one now. Jerry

I should also mention that the store owner in Corvallis swapped out the the 400kWh battery for the 500kWh battery for a reasonable price increase. I really wanted the extra range it will give me.

I didn't know there was a bike store in Corvallis, I will check it out only a hour from me in Florence. Thanks

Surface 604 Rook. Its a step through. Very powerful, great to ride. $1799. 5'8" is no problem on the small frame.

Beginning to get real interested in the Magic Pro bike, I like the idea of belt drive and all the latest along with a throttle now. Eliminating all the exposed gears and cables seems like a good thing. Cant' find much on them other than Court's review but he seemed pretty comfortable with it and the girl was only 5'2" and sat quite easy on it. I know my bike store has one so going to go down and take a ride to see if I like it.

Good Luck Friend
I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. Very tall, and I needed the XL frame. There are smaller bikes out there, just keep looking. Meanwhile see if you can rent an e-bike for a few hours. I rented one and it really helped in my decision making.

J, Juiced Bikes has just come out with the Scrambler on sale, $999. It has the same 650 watt motor & some other
components as the CCS, but on a lower scooter-like frame. I'd have bought one but I'm too tall to get
a proper leg extension for the 9spd drive. It looks ideal for a shorter rider, comes with urban or off-road
fat tires, battery Ah options & an optional 1100 watt hyper-motor. I ride a CCS commuter with the same
basics. So far it's a tough reliable bike with plenty of power & also a number of sizes

J, Juiced Bikes has just come out with the Scrambler on sale, $999. It has the same 650 watt motor & some other
components as the CCS, but on a lower scooter-like frame. I'd have bought one but I'm too tall to get
a proper leg extension for the 9spd drive. It looks ideal for a shorter rider, comes with urban or off-road
fat tires, battery Ah options & an optional 1100 watt hyper-motor. I ride a CCS commuter with the same
basics. So far it's a tough reliable bike with plenty of power & also a number of sizes
With no seat vertical adjustment, it's not going to be proper for nearly anyone. I'm sure they don't plan on anyone pedaling for any distance at all. Looks like a mini bike, designed to be ridden like one.

I thought of that too, It looked to me as if one could lift the seat by raising it with a storage compartment.
I've seen seat frame mounting points. It appears to be a rather simple fabrication. My problem is my knees
would be too close to the headset. I'm too old to ride on the pegs.

I am short legged --same as you, and I ride a Radmini. I've even got the seat adjusted up higher a bit. To get on, I just tilt the bike and step over.

Back