Shock Stop Seatpost Finally Here

$145, shipping included seems like a pretty good price but the link you provided shows the price as $229.99 for pre-orders.

Please disregard the link and pricing. My bad. That was a link for backers. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't consider myself gullible and I certainly don't have more money than brains. In fact, I generally do a huge amount of research before buying something. At an MSRP of $239, which is competitive with some other brands, this seat post may seem a bit overpriced, but for $145 I consider it a bargain. I am replacing my $20 spring seat posts because the difference is remarkable. ;)
I like the idea of the double spring. Springs could be doubled up or theoretically have one end softer and able to protect from small bumps as well.

I like the idea of the double spring. Springs could be doubled up or theoretically have one end softer and able to protect from small bumps as well.
From a mechanical engineering viewpoint, that is callad a "progressive spring" which is often seen in conjunction with hydraulics in motorcycle front fork suspension systems dating back to the 1970's

I maintain that a lever actioned spring is esentially no better than a sraight spring. As a mechanical engineer, I think a adjustabe nitrogen gas or hydraulic control would be preferable for bound and rebound control to the ancient metal spring with friction control pogo stick concept. New is not necessarily better.

Yes, because gas-oil struts never fail (reaching to adjust sagging office chair).

Yes, because gas-oil struts never fail (reaching to adjust sagging office chair).
Well those gas-oil struts seem to last long enough, evidenced by my 31 year old motorcycle still working well. But then my xp has a cheap seatpost spring thingy plus springs in the seat.

The parallelogram design of the Kinekt Body Float and the new Redshift reduce the pedaling energy loss inherent in direct vertical shock absorption setups by redirecting some of the damping effort backwards instead of down. If you ride in an athletic and hard manner you will notice a real difference and develop a preference for them. On my mountain ebike, I have a PNW dropper post with adjustable pneumatic shock built in that does a decent job but not up to the standard that my Kinekt provides on my touring bike, both of which have the same suspension parts.

Also while the redshift does contain the spring in the down tube. That also necessitates removing the tube to make adjustments. The Kinekt allows for a change of springs or adjustment of spring preload without having to remove anything. The redshift looks to be lower profile, taking up less vertical seatpost travel than the Kinekt, possibly making it a better choice for shorter riders.

I rode (occasionally) with a LT thud buster in the past. It was AWFUL. No matter how much I ramped up preload, it detracted from pedaling efficiency to a gross degree.

The constant movement, especially the movement arcing backwards and down, was also an ongoing distraction. It was the worst $180 I ever spent, possibly.

Proper setup was almost impossible. Trying to determine where to set the saddle so it would be in the same position as it would be with a standard seat post was an exercise in futility. On top of that, the saddle was constantly moving so it was all futile anyway.

I wonder how the redshift seat post solves all of these problems: pedaling efficiency, arcing saddle, initial setup.

I wonder how the redshift seat post solves all of these problems: pedaling efficiency, arcing saddle, initial setup.
Here is their setup video, which gives quite a bit of information on adjusting the seat and general installation.

Back