Settings for Specialized Creo SL

JWE

Region
USA
I received a Creo SL as a very nice gift and am trying to figure out how to best use it. (Ideally I would have liked to hve e settings in 10% increments on the handlebars to easily make changes as I ride.)

I prefer not to be taking my eyes off the road to turn it on or change the mode on the TCU. Ideally I would like to change one of the factory defaults to a setting 5hat I can leave on that will give me a good workout but still be able to make it up a reasonable gradient. I don’t mind changing the setting occasionally for a really long steep climb but would like to leave on one setting most of the time to that will *give me a good workout. Any suggestions on what a good setting might be would be appreciated. Thank you.

I haven't ridden the CreoSL, but on the Como I ride there are three settings that you can adjust via an infinite slide guage in Misson Control plus no assist and smart assist ... Specialized calls them eco, sport, and turbo. Really it is just high, medium, and low (or Trouble, Traffic. and Trail if you prefer).
Anyway I set my default to medium (aprox. 50/60 %) for normal rides. I can bump the handlebar switch up once for max power (100/100%), or down once for max range (20/30%), without ever having to look at the switch or display.
AFAIK all Specialized ebikes offer the same adjustments through the Mission Control app.
IDK if that answered your question but if not there are several members with that same bike that will jump in eventually.

hi @JWE - the creo is a great bike! as @Art Deco pointed out, you can’t change the settings in small % increments on the fly (except from your phone) but you can customize the three modes, for example, you could make them 10% assist, 20% assist, and 30% assist. you can buy two small buttons (remotes) that go on the handlebar under your thumbs, and change between those three modes as needed.

the settings have two percentages. one is the boost relative to how hard you’re pedaling, and the other is a maximum. for exercise with lots of hills, i’d recommend using the first two settings with relatively low % for the “max” assist, that way you’re always working fairly hard. i personally leave the assist completely off unless i’m going up a hill, for which i use 25% assist with 30% “max” power.

I am older and overweight and have an Aluminum Creo. I've posted an image of my settings below. The first settings are Specialized Default values. The second were based on a youtube video. The settings I'm now using were suggested by a forum member and I've named it after him. I find them to provide a pretty smooth transition between low power for slight and more inclines in the lowest setting. The middle setting gets me up steeper inclines and hills. The top setting is for the steepest hills. We have inclines all over Seattle and I do bounce between the settings including turning off the motor (which is not the same thing as turning off the entire power. To turn off the motor and do solely your own workout, you PRESS and HOLD the power selector button for a few seconds. I think that Specialized could have found a better location for the power selector than between my thighs/knees. I have ordered the remote buttons but they have not come in yet.

ENJOY the new bike - quite a nice gift.

Screenshot_20210703-141725-.png

Then don’t. Get the Turbo Road Remotes. They came preinstalled with my Creo. I change power levels all the time, usually from off to Eco and back. As easy as shifting gears or applying the brakes.

View attachment 99539
View attachment 99540
The Turbo Road Remote, installed on the inside of the drops. This is the right hand drop.
And funny, I got an email from my bike shop that those remote buttons have finally come in. Now I need to figure out placement.

Do you spend a lot of time or the drops or do you use the hoods and your thumbs?

Decrease power on the right. Increase power on the left. Down shift on the left makes it easier to pedal, so increasing power (making it easier to pedal) also goes on the left.
Interesting. I bought a used Creo and these were installed in the opposite way from what you describe. Increase power is on the right, and decrease on the left. I don't find it to be a problem at all.

And I would echo the comment of someone above regarding wanting a good workout. I took my Creo out for 30 min last night and left power OFF the whole time. It was a good reminder that the bike handles well and it felt "lighter" than last time I tried this. Maybe I'm getting back into better bike shape?

Ah, yes, which side increases/decreases power............

Oh, question - does decreasing power finally end is "disengaging" the motor or making power ZERO? Or pressing both buttons? Or how does one emulate the PRESS/HOLD power selector button's motor off setting?

I will have to arrange an appt with the shop for installation. I may go with an interim setup which allows me to move them around to find a good arrangement.

Oh, question - does decreasing power finally end is "disengaging" the motor or making power ZERO? Or pressing both buttons? Or how does one emulate the PRESS/HOLD power selector button's motor off setting?
My remote buttons essentially have four settings, i.e. hitting the "decrease" from ECO takes you to assist level of OFF but the bike is still turned on if you want to quickly power back up . I didn't even know there was a way to go to OFF from the top tube, but had been wondering!

Also I use a Yahoo ELEMNT BOLT head unit and integrates well with Specialized Ebikes. You can customize the display to show assist level (including OFF) and it's easier for me than looking at the top tube.

My remote buttons essentially have four settings, i.e. hitting the "decrease" from ECO takes you to assist level of OFF but the bike is still turned on if you want to quickly power back up . I didn't even know there was a way to go to OFF from the top tube, but had been wondering!

Also I use a Yahoo ELEMNT BOLT head unit and integrates well with Specialized Ebikes. You can customize the display to show assist level (including OFF) and it's easier for me than looking at the top tube.
I learned about OFF on some Youtube video. It might be buried somewhere in one of the manuals. I even have a bit of trouble referring to that setting. There is obviously the FULL turn off (or ON) the electric bike button at the bottom of the toptube display or the OFF while the bike is still powered on (Press/Hold).

To all the Creo riders that jumped into this thread after I revived it from the unanswered threads pile ... Thanks guys
I hope that the original poster comes back and sees it. I did wonder how it escaped my notice when it was first posted. You did a noble deed.

I see the OP was here yesterday. So maybe it was seen.

I've recently switched from a Vado SL to a Creo SL Expert. The "unassisted" mode is barely mentioned in the Creo literature. Most Creo riders don't even know the mode exists especially if they got their Creo before the buttons were available. Most of them are just turning the bike on and off as needed. I was helping a riding group friend with their new Creo by researching this forum's Creo posts and found how to go to the unassisted mode from the TCU. Since the Vado SL does that from the handlebar control I didn't know you could use the TCU. I think the Creo rides better unassisted than the Vado SL and I've only used assist for maybe 2 miles of the first 100 miles. I seen the drag quoted as about 3 watts (I need to find the source). I use the unassisted mode so I can see the power meter and also be ready to hit the power for steep hills. I switched to the Creo because of the time spent looking through the Creo posts, fit issues with my Vado SL and then getting sucked in by a sale on the XL and XXL Creo's. I ended up with a non-sale L but the fit is nearly perfect.

Last edited:
I've recently switched from a Vado SL to a Creo SL Expert. The "unassisted" mode is barely mentioned in the Creo literature. Most Creo riders don't even know mode exists especially if they got their Creo before the buttons were available. Most of them are just turning the bike on and off as needed. I was helping a riding group friend with their new Creo by researching this forum Creo posts and found how to go to the unassisted mode from the TCU. Since the Vado SL does that from the handlebar control I didn't know you could use the TCU. I think the Creo rides better unassisted than the Vado SL and I've only used assist for maybe 2 miles of the first 100 miles. I seen the drag quoted as about 3 watts (I need to find the source). I use the unassisted mode so I can see the power meter and also be ready to hit the power for steep hills. I switched to the Creo because of the time spent looking through the Creo posts, fit issues with my Vado SL and then getting sucked in by a sale on the XL and XXL Creo's. I ended up with a non-sale L but the fit is nearly perfect.
Congratulations, Allan!

I've recently switched from a Vado SL to a Creo SL Expert. The "unassisted" mode is barely mentioned in the Creo literature. Most Creo riders don't even know the mode exists especially if they got their Creo before the buttons were available. Most of them are just turning the bike on and off as needed. I was helping a riding group friend with their new Creo by researching this forum's Creo posts and found how to go to the unassisted mode from the TCU. Since the Vado SL does that from the handlebar control I didn't know you could use the TCU. I think the Creo rides better unassisted than the Vado SL and I've only used assist for maybe 2 miles of the first 100 miles. I seen the drag quoted as about 3 watts (I need to find the source). I use the unassisted mode so I can see the power meter and also be ready to hit the power for steep hills. I switched to the Creo because of the time spent looking through the Creo posts, fit issues with my Vado SL and then getting sucked in by a sale on the XL and XXL Creo's. I ended up with a non-sale L but the fit is nearly perfect.
welcome!! i too ride my creo mostly unassisted. the drag from the "motor" with it's internal clutches disengaged is surely negligible. it's really just the weight - an extra 10lb or so - that makes it any different from another high end road bike. and that only matters when climbing, which is when i turn the motor on. :D

what color did you get?

welcome!! i too ride my creo mostly unassisted. the drag from the "motor" with it's internal clutches disengaged is surely negligible. it's really just the weight - an extra 10lb or so - that makes it any different from another high end road bike. and that only matters when climbing, which is when i turn the motor on. :D

what color did you get?
I got the carbon color. There was not really a choice once I picked a size, a version and in stock within a reasonable distance. As it happens I prefered that color.

There is always the option of downshifting to a lower gear. My Creo SL has up to a 42T rear cog which makes for as low a gear as I will ever need with this bike even if it is 10 lbs heavier than my regular road bike. I wanted the power assist to deal with head winds which are commonly 10-15 mph where I do a lot of my cycling along the coast.

Back