Seniors and Ebike Information

Nebula722

I am a senior with balance and coordination problems. I am looking for any senior with experience riding ebikes to share the pros and cons of riding ebikes.

Personally ebikes have helped tremendously with my physical and mental health. Driving was becoming difficult and I was in fear of becoming one of those seniors that hits the gas instead of the brakes and kills some innocent person. In October of 2013 I purchased my first ebike. End of story. I no longer drive a car and due to the exercise I get on the ebike I am much better. I still am not safe to drive but I am safe on ebikes as the speeds are a lot slower and I have time to react properly. I do not ride fast.

In the last year I have been in the saddle for over 2,300 miles. Most of my miles are pleasure miles with a 15 pound dog in a child's trailer. I actually look for a chore to go do so I can ride the trike or bike.

I want to encourage seniors or people with health issues to try ebikes. Perhaps it will help make their golden years more enjoyable.

Healthy riders, young riders, please feel free to share.

As a life long rider of anything 2 wheeled, I've always felt there's a therapeutic benefit from riding. Riding on 2 wheels requires simultaneous multi level skill training, that becomes so automatic with practice that you don't think about most of it when you're in the middle of doing it. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure this has a positive effect on brain function, especially for the ageing. Looking back, I've met plenty of seniors in my life, riding motorcycles well into old age, and a commonality I see in them is a younger, and more energetic outlook on life. I've never been to a bicycle rally, if they even have such things, but at motorcycle rallies it's common to see many seniors that rode their own bikes there, both men and women.

Electric bicycles are a natural evolution not only for seniors that may be losing the ability to ride a bicycle far, or handle the weight of a motorcycle, but even for any rider looking for a lighter, more minimalist form of transportation. I think the only reason there's not more of us is only because electric bicycles are so new, that most of the potential riders still haven't heard of them, and are therefore ignorant of the benefits. Plus there's the fact that electric bicycle technology has improved drastically in the last few years, and is poised to quickly improve much more. I think we're living in the mesne of a revolution that will take over young and old alike. It's called progress.

Thank you for your comments, they are welcome.

I think you are right in that as the years go by the younger generations will take advantage of ebikes as they just keep getting better.

I rode motorcycles' all my adult life and had to sell my 1977 BMW R 100 / 7 due to balance issues. After riding my first ebike I was hooked

I know a lot of seniors that just want to sit around and talk about the old days in old people retirement homes and if that is what they want to do ok but for those of us old people that want to be out creating new adventures the ebikes are here to help.

Thank you for your interest.

Here here!!! Great points, all! I've ridden MC's and bikes of all types for more than 35 years and now e-bikes. Love my FLHTCU and my X3 along with my two (pedal only) bicycles but I know in my future will be even better bikes. Keep the good stuff coming, as I get older. I won't be one sitting around talkin bout glory days!

It's kind of funny, usually it's the old people that are accused of resisting change, but in the case of electric bicycles, it seems to be younger riders that are doing most of the resisting. Not universally though, but just generally speaking. I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks. I've changed my whole point of view about riding almost overnight, not because of any age related issues, but solely because my eyes were opened to a different kind riding. I guess I would consider myself primarily a former motorcycle rider more than anything else. I say former, because even though I still have my motorcycle, I haven't ridden it in several years now. I never thought I would ever give it up, but unforeseen things have happened that changed my perception of riding.

My path to electric bicycling wasn't a straight line. As little as a year and a half ago I was your typical know it all rider that took pleasure any chance I got to disparage electric bicycles that I knew very little about. They're too slow. They don't have any range. They cost too much. Sounds familiar, yes?

To understand how I got here, we have to go back 4 years. Out of the blue I decided what I needed was a bicycle to ride around the neighborhood. I bought a nice beach cruiser online. Next I looked online at what people were saying about the bike I had j ust purchased (most people do this before the purchase). By accident I came across a review that said, this was a good bicycle, that they used in their motor bicycle business, with a link. Curiosity about what a motor bicycle is took me to their website.

I never expected what happened next. It was love at first sight. A bicycle just like mine, with a little Chinese 2 stroke kit motor bolted into the V. From that moment on I was on a mission from god, to find the source of these motors. It turned out that wasn't hard to do, even though I never heard of them. eBay, and various other ecommerce stores offer them all over the internet for rock bottom prices. For the next 3 years I built one china girl after another. For myself, for friends, for strangers that hunted me down to build them one. Perfecting my skills each time until finally, my masterpiece.

This is Stunner

But there was a problem. Very early on, not long after making my first china girl, I was riding down the street when I happened upon a bicycle riding ahead of me. I decided to pull up along side of it, and show off a little. I slowly noticed it had a rear hub motor. It was a 500w conversion this guy made on a fairly high end bicycle. He ask me if I'd care to switch bikes for while. Normally I don't ever want to let anyone ride my bike, but the thought of riding an eBike pict my interest, so I agreed.

I wasn't that impressed. His bike would barely do 18 mph with me riding it. He told me the range was barely 20 miles. My china girl would do 30 mph, and had a 45 mile range. After about 2 miles we changed back, and went our separate ways, after getting contact info. I had little reason to think at the time that there was going to be any more to it than that. But there was. Over the next 3 years I couldn't quite get that ride out of my mind. Even though I kept telling myself, it was slow, and it didn't have any range, there was something about it that I couldn't really put my finger on. Maybe the lack of vibration. Or maybe the silence. The torque off the line. Something about it definitely appealed to me, but the lack of speed, and range was a killer for me.

Then, one day a little over a year ago I was browsing a motor bicycle forum when I came across a reference to something called a Stealth Bomber. I figured it was probably some kind of motor bicycle, but when I followed the link, it turned out to be an electric one. A $10,000, 50 mph electric bicycle, with a claimed 50 mile range. Resistance was futile. Even though I didn't have $10,000, and my wife of 34 years would probably divorce me, within 3 weeks time I found myself hitting the button of no return one minute before midnight on September 31st 2013. I had 2 months to figure out how to do the most important splainnin of my life LOL. But now I year later I'd do it all again, because I love my Bomber.

Here here!!! Great points, all! I've ridden MC's and bikes of all types for more than 35 years and now e-bikes. Love my FLHTCU and my X3 along with my two (pedal only) bicycles but I know in my future will be even better bikes. Keep the good stuff coming, as I get older. I won't be one sitting around talkin bout glory days!

I kind of think that we that have ridden mc's or at least bicycles all of our lives will be the ones out there on ebikes and not the ones that never really liked riding much of anything. I think you will be the one out and about on your ebike. It was beautiful in Central Cal so I was able to get in more than 20 miles today.

Thanks for your post.

It's kind of funny, usually it's the old people that are accused of resisting change, but in the case of electric bicycles, it seems to be younger riders that are doing most of the resisting. Not universally though, but just generally speaking. I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks. I've changed my whole point of view about riding almost overnight, not because of any age related issues, but solely because my eyes were opened to a different kind riding. I guess I would consider myself primarily a former motorcycle rider more than anything else. I say former, because even though I still have my motorcycle, I haven't ridden it in several years now. I never thought I would ever give it up, but unforeseen things have happened that changed my perception of riding.

My path to electric bicycling wasn't a straight line. As little as a year and a half ago I was your typical know it all rider that took pleasure any chance I got to disparage electric bicycles that I knew very little about. They're too slow. They don't have any range. They cost too much. Sounds familiar, yes?

To understand how I got here, we have to go back 4 years. Out of the blue I decided what I needed was a bicycle to ride around the neighborhood. I bought a nice beach cruiser online. Next I looked online at what people were saying about the bike I had j ust purchased (most people do this before the purchase). By accident I came across a review that said, this was a good bicycle, that they used in their motor bicycle business, with a link. Curiosity about what a motor bicycle is took me to their website.

I never expected what happened next. It was love at first sight. A bicycle just like mine, with a little Chinese 2 stroke kit motor bolted into the V. From that moment on I was on a mission from god, to find the source of these motors. It turned out that wasn't hard to do, even though I never heard of them. eBay, and various other ecommerce stores offer them all over the internet for rock bottom prices. For the next 3 years I built one china girl after another. For myself, for friends, for strangers that hunted me down to build them one. Perfecting my skills each time until finally, my masterpiece.

This is Stunner

But there was a problem. Very early on, not long after making my first china girl, I was riding down the street when I happened upon a bicycle riding ahead of me. I decided to pull up along side of it, and show off a little. I slowly noticed it had a rear hub motor. It was a 500w conversion this guy made on a fairly high end bicycle. He ask me if I'd care to switch bikes for while. Normally I don't ever want to let anyone ride my bike, but the thought of riding an eBike pict my interest, so I agreed.

I wasn't that impressed. His bike would barely do 18 mph with me riding it. He told me the range was barely 20 miles. My china girl would do 30 mph, and had a 45 mile range. After about 2 miles we changed back, and went our separate ways, after getting contact info. I had little reason to think at the time that there was going to be any more to it than that. But there was. Over the next 3 years I couldn't quite get that ride out of my mind. Even though I kept telling myself, it was slow, and it didn't have any range, there was something about it that I couldn't really put my finger on. Maybe the lack of vibration. Or maybe the silence. The torque off the line. Something about it definitely appealed to me, but the lack of speed, and range was a killer for me.

Then, one day a little over a year ago I was browsing a motor bicycle forum when I came across a reference to something called a Stealth Bomber. I figured it was probably some kind of motor bicycle, but when I followed the link, it turned out to be an electric one. A $10,000, 50 mph electric bicycle, with a claimed 50 mile range. Resistance was futile. Even though I didn't have $10,000, and my wife of 34 years would probably divorce me, within 3 weeks time I found myself hitting the button of no return one minute before midnight on September 31st 2013. I had 2 months to figure out how to do the most important splainnin of my life LOL. But now I year later I'd do it all again, because I love my Bomber.

I love your bomber. I am not sure if anyone could not love that bike after a test ride. I have not ever been in the saddle but I know the power and range are awesome.

I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks

This is Stunner

That red bike is beautiful. I have been thinking of putting a e motor on some sort of bike like that. What is it?

I have to agree, eBikes will, and do appeal to motorcycles riders, there's no doubt about that, but the appeal is going to be very broad. All kinds of people from all walks of life will find uses for electric bicycles. I think depending on your riding background, will have a lot to do with the type of eBike a person will be attracted to. Age will play a roll too. My son is 30 years old. He's been riding motorcycles for many years too, recently sold his bike, and bought a bicycle. Then another bicycle, and now tomorrow he's expecting his first eBike to arrive. He claims my Bomber doesn't appeal to him. He wants an eBike that he feels could be mistaken for a regular bicycle. He bought a Neo Carbon. I'm pretty sure it is going to be the first of many electric bikes he'll own in his lifetime.

That red bike is beautiful. I have been thinking of putting a e motor on some sort of bike like that. What is it?

The bicycle is a Felt, Deep 6. I rarely ride it now, even though it's the best china girl I ever made by far. I recently got it out and rode it around for a few miles. The thrill is gone. It rides like a piece of junk. It vibrates, it's noisy, it's stinky, the brakes are poor. It looks great though, at least there's that lol.

I think eventually I'll decommission it, and return it back to being just a bicycle again. I could always clean out the gas tank, and fill it with beer, for long rides.

Last edited:
Here in Dallas there's a popular biker bar called Strokers that I frequently ride my electric to. This is the kind of attention it usually gets on a busy weekend day. Bikers are always bikers, and now that Harley has announced they're soon coming out with an electric motorcycle, interest is even higher. So far I'm not that impressed with Harley's electric bike, but I give them credit for recognizing where the future is headed. I think they see the handwriting on the wall and know they're going to have to get with the program, or be left behind.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

The bicycle is a Felt, Deep 6. I rarely ride it now, even though it's the best china girl I ever made by far. I recently got it out and rode it around for a few miles. The thrill is gone. It rides like a piece of junk. It vibrates, it's noisy, it's stinky, the brakes are poor. It looks great though, at least there's that lol.

I think eventually I'll decommission it, and return it back to being just a bicycle again. I could always clean out the gas tank, and fill it with beer, for long rides.

As far as the gas motor, it's not worth the trouble trust me.

biknut, you have my MC ride in that last pic in the far left, just have my tour-pack in there! ha... Liking this thread, Nebula722. Hope more of the oldsters (50+) get their 2 cents in here.

Here are a few bikes I thought would make cool cruisers. Take care.

Attachments

• switchblade_thumb.png
    switchblade_thumb.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 168290_0.jpg
    168290_0.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 299
  • 162143.jpg
    162143.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 337
As far as the gas motor, it's not worth the trouble trust me.

I had purchased a four stroke 49cc engine and mounted it on a Schwinn. It was mounted but not ready to ride. I walked into a bike shop and was convinced to test ride the ebike they sold. I went back home but I never resumed the work on the gas engine. Two weeks later I went and bought the ebike. The day after that I removed the engine from the bike, sold the bike and boxed up the engine and stored it.

Wanna buy a four stroke?

biknut, you have my MC ride in that last pic in the far left, just have my tour-pack in there! ha... Liking this thread, Nebula722. Hope more of the oldsters (50+) get their 2 cents in here.

I hope so too. I like reading what they have to write. Bikes and trikes, electric or not are my hobby and have made my retirement a lot of fun. I simply hope people enjoy their retirement.

Thank you for your comment.

The Switchblade is very popular.

One of these days I am gonna electrify one of those bikes. I am in Bakersfield and have never seen any of these bikes out and about.

Gotta mount up and etrike to get some grub. I no longer drive and happy about that. I etrike or ebike everywhere.

I was thinking the same thing about the Deep 6. Maybe turn it into an eBike for my wife to ride.
I think it would be a good candidate for converting.

I was thinking the same thing about the Deep 6. Maybe turn it into an eBike for my wife to ride.
I think it would be a good candidate for converting.

I agree, turn that baby into a ebike. It will be a real motorcycle and not a dirty enginecycle.

Back