Senior citizen, live on a big hill, 10 miles to grocery store

@Rincon. Thank you. I have just installed Strava on my phone. I'm very much interested in your wife's experiences with her Stromer ST2. 20-30 miles a day. Wow. That's exciting! It gives me hope that I will be back cycling soon.

Could we discuss frame sizes? For the most part, I see maximum frame sizes of 55cm (22"). My old Raleigh was a 26" frame. My current bike, which I hate because I have to extend the seat post up to the max, and this leaves me leaning too far down to be comfortable on the handlebars - well that is a 23" frame. Are my long legs going to be a problem?

Could we discuss frame sizes? For the most part, I see maximum frame sizes of 55cm (22"). My old Raleigh was a 26" frame. My current bike, which I hate because I have to extend the seat post up to the max, and this leaves me leaning too far down to be comfortable on the handlebars - well that is a 23" frame. Are my long legs going to be a problem?

@Amflautist, you are correct in seeking the right frame size for you. IMHO its the most important metric in a bike. Bikes are like clothes. Nobody wants to wear garments that are too small or too large. Besides, the wrong size frame can be awkward, inefficient, and dangerous.

So perhaps the first order of business is to find an ebike manufacturer that makes extra large frames. Not easy. For example, the "search" function in this site has a category for frame size. Unfortunately, the slider tops out at 22 inches, and you're saying you need a 26-inch frame (like your old Raleigh).

Maybe you should pay a visit to your local bike shop and ask them whether any of the manufacturers they carry make a 26-inch frame ebike. (Or the equivalent, depending on the geometry; a mountain bike will have a shorter seat tube because the bottom bracket is higher off the ground.) Also, get them to fit you, so you know what size you need in a road bike, a mountain bike, or hybrid. I say that because perhaps the right size frame exists for you, but it may be a mountain bike with 29-inch wheels and plus-size (3-inch) tires.

If you should find that there are no manufacturers making the right size ebike for you, then the alternative is to convert a regular bike to electric. But you probably don't want to get into that...

I sympathize. I am in my seventies myself, and riding an electric bike makes me feel young again. I can climb any hill and my range has been extended. You will feel like superwoman! Don't give up until you find the right size ebike!

More power to you. Great set of athletic goals for your future.
I'm age 67, going on 107 I hope. I also have no cartilage in my knees, plus bone spurs, related to Army service in the seventies. The more I ride the bike the less the knees hurt. I ride a bike everywhere I don't rent a U-haul truck, and the constant use has since I quit working age 58 dropped 55 lb , pulled rest pulse down from 85 to 64, cloresterol down from 213 to 130.
A few tips. You live in the US. I wouldn't want a small wheel bike like the tern or Cero above. We get potholes and uneven pavement in the US, up to 6" deep and separators up to 3" high don't get repaired for months. You want at least 26" wheels, to cut shock when you hit an elevation change. I missed it and hit a 2" pavement ledge last Saturday at 8 mph on Louisville river bike path , and had to push the bike up steps when park dept. allowed vendors to set up tables on the ramped bike path. For comfort I prefer 1.75 " (45 mm) to 2.1" (55 mm) tires or bigger pressured only to 50 psi. That pressure keeps me from denting the wheel on a sidewalk ledge I go over weekly with groceries. I use Kenda Full knobby tires which are a bit noisy, but grip better if I slide over the pavement edge, and have 500 % fewer flats than the thin street tires I was riding previously. I don't ride a suspension bike. I do have seat springs. Many pro level bikes won't take tires that wide.
If you go over 15 mph in the wet down hill you'll probably want disk brakes instead of rim, which are less likely to fade due to being wet. You'll want an aluminum frame if you ever intend to put the bike on a bus rack. A short frame big wheel electric bike reviewed here is the izip p3 protour https://electricbikereview.com/izip/e3-protour/
which has aluminum frame, disk brakes, turn back handlebar, a book rack, and comes in 3 sizes.
I ride 12 months a year, only falling back to riding the city bus to the grocery store when the city has pushed mounds of icy snow into piles in the bike lane & sidewalks. Black glare ice I won't ride on, but I will ride on snow up to 12" deep. I wear clothes to handle the temperatures. Extreme contractor grade gloves are required some times, available only at the farm supply or home store. I wear up to 5 layers some time, say 5 degrees F & below.
I need 21 speeds to get up 15% grades here in Clark Cty, including a 30:29 low low sprocket. Using that gear is slower than walking, but riding unloads my wrists & back twister muscles from pushing the bike. That is without electric assist. That means a triple front sprocket: 30, 42, and 52 sprockets, 29 to 14 on the rear. Bosch mid drive systems replace the front sprocket set with their own single, so IMHO they are not for pedal assist up steep hills.
See my current rides below. I carry up to 50 lb of groceries. Because of the uneven weight distribution this causes (85 lb rear 25 lb front without me or groceries) I'm looking at buying stretch rear cargo bikes like the yubabikes bodaboda http://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/boda-boda-v3-24-speed or the kona ute (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
xtracycle also has a long frame cargo bike.
You'd want the taller step-over bodaboda of course with your long legs. Or the large kona. As you can see from my pictures, my leg inseams are short, 28", my torso is long, so I'm riding upgraded kid bikes.
Best of luck shopping and achieving your fitness goals.
@indianajo SO many good suggestions, especially about wheel size, knobby tires, disk brakes. Regarding 15% grades, I think I have a few of those. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

I need to postpone further considerations of what ebike will fit me, give my knees the workout they need, and still get me up the hill to home. Postpone because I'm leaving for a month in Spain in 2 days.

But I have one more question: where are expos or shows where I could sit on a lot of bikes and/or try them out? I'm willing to travel to get this right.

Thank you everyone for your assistance and thoughtful replies!

I highly recommend a Trek XM 700+ and ask your LBS to install pannier mounting and panniers.
upload_2017-9-7_19-32-31.png

https://electricbikereview.com/trek/xm700-plus/

I also highly recommend a body float with longer tube version.

and also place a stem riser to level up the handle bar above the seat.
m5xRsMV_xm5EOZTVs_MIuLw.jpg

Great you have a daughter in a major cultural destination! With a spare bed! Congratulations.
I measure grades with a 6" machinist type level from Kmart, and a scale (ruler with 32ds on it). In 6" horizontal one hill I go up rose 7/8" . that is 14.6% I calculate. If I'd had reading glasses along I could have made a more accurate measurement. Carried them out there in the basket last month just so I could brag on the internet. I actually laid on my chest in the ditch by the road and measured it - and I think it is steeper where there is no place to lean my bicycle.
I'm a diet soda addict, haul in 6-10 2 liter bottles a week plus half gallons SF almond milk for SF cereal & SF desserts. Plus I haul water into my summer place rather than risk all the pipes breaking again when the electric tape heaters go off when I'm not there (all winter). I can carry 6 gallons at once but not up the 15% hill. Hence my obsession with aluminum frame & plastic panniers on my next purchase, a ute or bodaboda - my self built baskets must weigh 50 lb by themselves. 100 lb MTB/hauler has been great for my heart, though.
Yes, I'm obsessed with fenders. No brown stripe on my back, or pants legs either. I do get wet, but its just clean water. I made the fenders in the picture with yard signs & old inner tubes. I don't like buying new stuff from *****. My bike came from the flea market.
Fast clubs around here go 15-16 mph with drop handles and stupid (IMHO) neck bent posture, plus they never stop for traffic signs or signals. They don't see much either, IMHO. The "beginner" club group goes about 6. I ride about 8 mph against a 10 mph wind, up to 12 with one behind me, 6 into 20 mph, so I have to ride alone. Plus the clubs drive out to a high school in the middle of my route to start, and I don't drive (much). The bike is my transport. I see a lot of stuff, and have gone over the handlebars when I missed a pavement crack or speed bump (at night) (or get run off the road by a big truck). Oh, well, nothing broken. Make sure the headstock bolt is extremely tight; the bike shop assembled one failed me once, the handles stayed straight & the wheel turned right in the pothole, causing a trip to the e-room for stiches on my arm. I wear dickies long everything now. Last urgent care visit was just for x-rays - it was all fine.
The I-zip protour was in my (revised) previous post, try one out. The big one for tall people. note nominal frame size is the horizontal distance between headstock and seat (roughly). Most websites have the seat tube height listed, and you can calculate seat height above ground and above crank center from all the dimensions.
What with the handlebars twisting on me and throwing me, I'm suspicious of stem extenders as shown. I like unloading my hands, they go numb in about 30 minutes riding. I tried to find an actual longer stem, so far nogo. I'm going to weld up one out of 7/8 tubing one of these days. Until then I'm using pool float foam for handlebar grips, and ride with those extenders turned backwards & up to get up more height and a straighter back.
Have fun getting out in the open more. Oh, enjoy Spain even though festival season is over. I enjoyed seeing the two flamenco dance clubs/academies over at Worldfest in Louisville Labor day weekend.

Last edited:
@Mark Peralta You video of the 'BodyFloat' is mesmerizing. But I keep wondering - what happens of it breaks? I'll probably go for a big soft cushy seat with springs. Having kids makes those men's seats too uncomfortable.

@indianajo Great stories! You are a supreme scavenger and fixer.

@scrambler Does electricbike-expo have a current list of expos? That web site gives a list of 2016 expos. Maybe they have quit doing expos.

I am also putting a hand throttle on my must-have list. I'm thinking, what if one of these knees gives out? Would I be able to exert enough pressure, or keep up the cadence to keep the motor-assist going?

@Mark Peralta You video of the 'BodyFloat' is mesmerizing. But I keep wondering - what happens of it breaks? I'll probably go for a big soft cushy seat with springs. Having kids makes those men's seats too uncomfortable.

I also use a wide comfortable seat with springs on top of the body float for additional measure of road isolation. I am amazed how comfortable the combination is, since it's as good as my full suspension ebike, except that my feet do not get the benefit (in contrast to my full suspension). The body float is automotive grade engineering (mini car suspension design with dual coil springs and elastomer bump stops dialed for your exact weight) and I have not seen any reports of product failures yet.

@scrambler Does electricbike-expo have a current list of expos? That web site gives a list of 2016 expos. Maybe they have quit doing expos.
Not sure why the site does not list 2017. I found the article below that has 2017 dates. You would want to confirm of course
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
I am also putting a hand throttle on my must-have list. I'm thinking, what if one of these knees gives out? Would I be able to exert enough pressure, or keep up the cadence to keep the motor-assist going?

That will narrow your selection further, as only a small percentage of companies are offering throttle and Pedal assist.
Koben has an Xlarge (21") frame, but no suspension and no throttle. But they may be able to add a throttle, as the Bafang Max drive motor does support it.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Every street in the entire US? Pretty wide generalization wouldn't you say? No 6" deep pot holes around me.
No potholes here either. My wife rides here Liberty trike with 16" wheels all over town on the roads and paths.

Amflautist, I think with your budget you will be able to get an e-bike that you absolutely love.
One thing I will say is that you do need to try out a fair number to find the fit and motor that you like. I tried a number of e-bikes out - Lekkie (bafang mid-drive conversion kit), Moustache (Bosch), Merida, Avanti (Shimano), Kalkhoff, Magnum, Juiced. They all feel very different, especially when it comes to hills - I prefer a more natural feeling pedal assist rather than oomph-off-we-go!! I live at the top of a big hill. It really put me off cycling. No problem with an e-bike.
Anyway, for a number of reasons I ended up with a Juiced Crosscurrent, which is a lot of fun and handles the hills beautifully. I suspect it's not the bike for you - but I'm sure there is one out there.

Edited to add - take a look at Focus bikes - not the older ones which I understand have motor issues - but the newer ones with the Bosch motor. They run very large! I was a Small in the older styles - and the Juiced is a Large and just fits me (is almost too big).

I'm not-yet-77, female, 6' tall and need an ebike to get to the grocery store and back. The hill I live on is long and steep in parts. When I was half this age, it took me 35-45 minutes and everything I had in the tank to ride home. It's not possible for me to do this anymore. Can anyone recommend bikes that will fit this bill?
I'm in the same age situation, plus bad knees. My solution was NeoVolt Sport folding ebike. 350 watt motor, various assist settings. I can pedal up a very long, steep hill itting down if I choose to do so. The folding feature means I can easily store the bike in a closet or carry it in my car if need be. There's no need to spend a lot of money on an e-bike. I paid about $1600 for last year's model, new.

I understand your "pain". I'm 78 (male) and losing my eyesight (macular degeneration) for driving and have been looking at ebikes as a solution for getting around when I lose my drivers license. Fortunately in our small Western Montana town it is mostly flat in the valley. But I want to be able to haul panniers full of groceries, beer, wine, etc. We have one bike shop in town with limited experience with ebikes but it was important to me to deal locally so that I would be welcome when I needed service done. (Next nearest LBSs are 40 miles away) As a result I finally decided on a 2018 Giant Quick E+. It has a reasonably good set of components along with 2" tires. No front suspension unfortunately but I plan to install a BodyFloat suspension seat post once I take delivery as well as a rack for a trunk bag cum panniers. The upshot is: my suggestion would be to look locally and see what brands of ebikes your local bike shops handle.
"ebikes as a solution for getting around when I lose my drivers license." If your vision has gone bad, this is a pretty risky move. Drivers make it bad enough even when the cyclist has good vision. My own plan is a small electric car, like an enclosed golf cart; street legal without a license in CA.

"ebikes as a solution for getting around when I lose my drivers license." If your vision has gone bad, this is a pretty risky move. Drivers make it bad enough even when the cyclist has good vision. My own plan is a small electric car, like an enclosed golf cart; street legal without a license in CA.

My concern as well. With degrading eyesight, balance, and reaction time, I'm pretty sure I won't be going into my 80s on a bicycle. I'm 65, so going into my 70s doesn't seem like an issue at all right now. But give me 5 years and I'll let you know! Not sure I like the idea of powered bicycles being the alternate method to those that can't hold a driver's license. Around here, the 2 cycle gas powered bicycles are known as DUI transportation.

Back