SEAT POSTS

Gordon71

I'm planning to purchase a Rad Rover step through this spring. I expect I'll add a rear rack but was also curious about maybe a SR Suntour SP12 NCX Seatpost. My problem is that according to the specs they are for riders between 140 and 180 and that's rather a narrow range and one that I at 200 don't fall into. Are there other choices out there that will fit this bike? Thanks.

I am a heavier rider who has been happy with the cane creek thudbuster. It’s pricier than the Suntour. Don’t know if it’ll fit your seatpost, but I know they have shivs to help size it.

There are a few fairly recent posts on this topic with a lot of good information:

You can also check out the Suntour reviews on Amazon:

If you order one from Amazon, you have 30 days to return it if it doesn't work out.

Most other options are pricier than the Suntour. I haven't used one personally but I'm on the heavy end of the specs and even exceed them for my Thudbuster and Kinekt seat posts. From my experience, exceeding the max by a few pounds shouldn't cause a problem.

Here is a great option with an adjustable spring rate for up to 250 lbs... $59 on Amazon ;)

1580590338633.png

Here is a great option with an adjustable spring rate for up to 250 lbs... $59 on Amazon ;)

View attachment 44927
Thanks. Good price and the right diameter but it is about 4" shorter than the one that comes on the Rad Rover so not sure if it will work.

I'm planning to purchase a Rad Rover step through this spring. I expect I'll add a rear rack but was also curious about maybe a SR Suntour SP12 NCX Seatpost. My problem is that according to the specs they are for riders between 140 and 180 and that's rather a narrow range and one that I at 200 don't fall into. Are there other choices out there that will fit this bike? Thanks.

300+ here, and loving a Thudbuster LT purchased on sale at Amazon for about 100 bucks. Truth be known, Amazon often sells returned items that are brand new with no or open original packing, as "used". I bought one for 90. I think, but they sent the wrong size. When informed, they sent another, unopened seat post with a 10% discount for my trouble (a little over 80. total)! The best part is Thudbusters are tunable using different cylinders made of progressively harder material. It shipped with a #7 and a couple others. I ordered an optional #9 that I used with a 7 and it works VERY nicely! It actually feels like my rear tire is flat!

With the fatty tires, I would suggest you ride the Rover a bit to see if you still think you need a suspension seat post. -Al

SR Suntour SP12 NCX Seatposts have a number of spring options.

My favorite discounted site. https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/suntour-sp17-ncx-350mm-suspension-seatpost-safety-cover-963208

I bought a couple of spares, a second hard and a backup medium. Pretty cheap!
  • 27.2 x 350mm soft (<65kg)
  • 27.2 x 350mm medium (65-95kg)
  • 27.2 x 350mm hard (95-120kg)
  • 30.9 x 350mm soft (<65kg)
  • 30.9 x 350mm medium (65-95kg)
  • 30.9 x 350mm hard (95-120kg)
  • 31.6 x 350mm soft (<65kg)
  • 31.6 x 350mm medium (65-95kg)
  • 31.6 x 350mm hard (95-120kg)

300+ here, and loving a Thudbuster LT purchased on sale at Amazon for about 100 bucks. Truth be known, Amazon often sells returned items that are brand new with no or open original packing, as "used". I bought one for 90. I think, but they sent the wrong size. When informed, they sent another, unopened seat post with a 10% discount for my trouble (a little over 80. total)! The best part is Thudbusters are tunable using different cylinders made of progressively harder material. It shipped with a #7 and a couple others. I ordered an optional #9 that I used with a 7 and it works VERY nicely! It actually feels like my rear tire is flat!

With the fatty tires, I would suggest you ride the Rover a bit to see if you still think you need a suspension seat post. -Al
Thanks Al. I plan to do just that. The only thing I plan to order with the bike is a rear rack.

Back