scooter not charging to full after blowing up charging port. im at a loss why.. can i use the controller port as charging port with a splitter?

leebuki

i have a dual motor 52v scooter. the battery pack has 4 connections. 2 just wires and 2 xt60 connected to the controllers. I accidently touch the prongs on the multimeter while checking the charging port and it blew the gx16 port up. i ordered a new port and installed it. but since then it will not charge to 58.8v but a consistent 53.7. so i thought maybe it was the new port. i ordered a few more same thing, then i used the orginal wires and soldered them to a new port. still same thing. then one snowy day i got the scooter all wet and salted. for that day it charged to 58.8v but not since then. wtf!!! maybe its coincidentally the charger? I tried the xt60 port for the controllers and it charges to 58.8v but not the others. i plan on using a xt60 splitter to connect the battery to one controller and also the charging port. will that be safe for the controller? male connected to battery 2 females outbound. thoughts? or would i be better off using the splitter to connect both controllers to 1 xt60 port from the battery and connecting the charger to the free standing one? thanks

battery looks like this and charging port

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 401
battery looks like this and charging port
I dunno how to fix your problem but as someone else pointed out, this an ebike forum. What i do know is, that pack will make a funny old POP if it "goes off"!
Honestly buddy, Lithium packs that size are not to be played with unless you really know what you're doing! Have a look on YT or whatever for lithium packs exploding, you'll see.
Sounds like you may have fried part of the BMS or something.
Get someone who knows better to help you. Seriously buddy, it'll hurt!

i have a dual motor 52v scooter. the battery pack has 4 connections. 2 just wires and 2 xt60 connected to the controllers. I accidently touch the prongs on the multimeter while checking the charging port and it blew the gx16 port up. i ordered a new port and installed it. but since then it will not charge to 58.8v but a consistent 53.7. so i thought maybe it was the new port. i ordered a few more same thing, then i used the orginal wires and soldered them to a new port. still same thing. then one snowy day i got the scooter all wet and salted. for that day it charged to 58.8v but not since then. wtf!!! maybe its coincidentally the charger? I tried the xt60 port for the controllers and it charges to 58.8v but not the others. i plan on using a xt60 splitter to connect the battery to one controller and also the charging port. will that be safe for the controller? male connected to battery 2 females outbound. thoughts? or would i be better off using the splitter to connect both controllers to 1 xt60 port from the battery and connecting the charger to the free standing one? thanks
Please share multimeter readings from the battery, wire continuity, and test the charger. Start there. Honestly, I'm not understanding your connection question.

Never seen a battery like that. Did it come with two chargers? I first thought it was two separate batteries packaged in the same shrink wrap, but I looked at the ad for a dual motor scooter, and I think it could be a big battery with two parallel charger inputs, so you could speed up charging by using two chargers. The dual outputs is still a bit odd, but makes sense if you don't want to have a heavier wore going to the two controllers.

Have you checked your charger voltage? Do it with no load, and do it connected. It should be 58.8 with no load. Does one charger input work and the other does not?

Here's why you don't ever want to charge thru the output. Safety risk. You will bypass the overvoltage protrection circuits in the BMS. If the charger were to fail, and shoot past 60V, you're likely to set the battery on fire.

Here's why you don't ever want to charge thru the output. Safety risk. You will bypass the overvoltage protrection circuits in the BMS. If the charger were to fail, and shoot past 60V, you're likely to set the battery on fire.
Another GEM! Thanks!

i thought it could be bms issue but why did it start happening exactly when i blew out the charging port? also i have a second battery and the same thing is happening this is totally wtf.
not to mention the day i went out and got it soaked is the day it charged back to 58.8v. lol
multimeter readings.. charger 59v, battery max 53.7v 2nd battery 53.7v. and 54.2v while in chager

i blew out the original port by touching the probes together while trying to check voltage. it vaporized a probe and part of the charging port. the battery wont charge to full unless i use the output ports
it charges to 58.8v not sure if bms or my smart charger is stopping it at that point. but output ports are for the controllers.

i blew out the original port by touching the probes together while trying to check voltage. it vaporized a probe and part of the charging port. the battery wont charge to full unless i use the output ports
it charges to 58.8v not sure if bms or my smart charger is stopping it at that point. but output ports are for the controllers.
Have you replaced the port you fried?

I accidently touch the prongs on the multimeter while checking the charging port and it blew the gx16 port up.
Stuff like this is why I try to dissuade folks from poking around in a high voltage high amperage battery pack unless they know what they're doing. If you're using your stock multimeter leads with 2 cm of bare metal at the tips and have not yet taped them up to expose only 1 or 2 mm of metal, then by definition, you shouldn't be poking at the pack.

I'm guessing that when you shorted your battery in addition to frying your external terminal you also partially melted one of the interior bus connectors to one of your cell packs, that would explain the ~5.1 volt gappage happenning. Battery heating on charge or discharge could cause the connection state on a fractured bus to change. Wetting from the outside "the day i went out and got it soaked is the day it charged back to 58.8v." is a little scary, because that implies water is getting in from the outside to provide conductivity inside... and that unplanned for water conductivity might migrate to places unwanted. Perhaps the short melted some sealant around the external terminals?

hmmm interesting.. on appearance alone the battery pack seems just fine. it wont charge to full on either of the wires that are stand alone there's 2 black and 2 red that stand alone. im guess since they most likely are both connected to the same point on the bms or board. that might explain it. would it really make the gappage? why specifally 53.7 though? the outbound connections can charge to58.8v. with the xt60s.

Back