Schwalbe Super Moto-X discontinued?

This tire is definitely not getting discontinued anytime soon. It happens to be one of the most popular ebike tire currently. The US distributor has trouble keeping up with demand at times but we always have these in stock at my shop and I don’t foresee any reason why they’ll go away.

I have had really good luck with ordering replacement parts from Germany via eBay, including Schwalbe tires. I had an older bike with the cream-colored Schwalbe City Lights that were impossible to find in the States, but there were plenty available from a German seller on Ebay. I've had similar luck with Fallbrook C8 shifters and replacement parts for an Ortlieb pannier mounting system and a Pletscher kickstand. I've also had luck with UK vendors. You just have to be willing to wait several weeks for the shipping. It seems like bikes from German or other European manufacturers, while they are sold in the US, don't have a good replacement parts option - you either need an LBS with a good distributor relationship or need to order online from an overseas vendor. Once you know where to look though, it's fairly easy to find parts.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...moto.TRS0&_nkw=schwalbe+super+moto-x&_sacat=0

FYI, we have had this Schwalbe tire fail twice in close succession. That is, the Super-Moto X 27.5 x 2.4 (62-584).

The first tire failed before we ever rode one of our new R+M's. The second tire failed in the same manner after only two weeks of riding our second R+M.

Not sure if it is a bad batch of tires we had, or what. The fact this tire is not readily available makes me wonder if Schwalbe knows they have a problem. I surely do not know, however, I can say we have only used Schwalbe tires the past several years - always with good luck. Our two sets of Schwalbe Mondails have gone 4,500+ miles with only a flat due to a thorn puncture.

Both of our Super-Moto X tires failed when the wire tire bead separated from the sidewall of the tire - allowing the tube to poke through and blow out. See photo.

IMG_1944.jpg

Both of our Super-Moto X tires failed when the wire tire bead separated from the sidewall of the tire - allowing the tube to poke through and blow out. See photo.
tyre_bead.jpg

I had a Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB (57-622) 'fail' in this way.

In my case the wire bead was exposed as a result of the extreme difficulty in levering it over the Bontrager rim. (Yes, I realise that I'm shifting the blame on to Trek!)
… David

In my case the wire bead was exposed as a result of the extreme difficulty in levering it over the Bontrager rim. (Yes, I realise that I'm shifting the blame on to Trek!)
… David
[/QUOTE]

I do favor the kevlar or folding beads over wire, as I find they are much easier to install.

In this case, the thickness of the rubber at the bead does appear to be lacking. I've installed dozens of tires over the years and of course, you must be careful not to pinch the tube. However, I have never seen the bead part from the casing so easily. Especially since this happened twice, I tend to look at the tire - and not suspect installation by the shop.

I wish R+M would spec folding bead tires. I'd gladly pay the up charge to avoid the hassle of wire bead tires.

I saw this video on the Koga World Traveller today (non electric). I thought it interesting the explanation of why he is using Super Moto-X for combination on and off-road riding - he also cites the reliability of the tire (starts at about 6:25 of the video):

Great video... thanks for sharing.

I also run the Schwalbe Big Ben tire when I need a Super Moto-X tread pattern in a 700C/28"/29" wheel size... another great tire!

1566267538614.png

1566267608778.png

1566268005636.png

Last edited:
Great video... thanks for sharing.

I also run the Schwalbe Big Ben tire when I need a Super Moto-X tread pattern in a 700C/28"/29" wheel size... another great tire!...

I commuted today on my Tern Vektron Gen 2 with Schwalbe Big Apples. One of the worst things about my commute, in the urban environment, is the quantity of glass in the roadway. The bike lanes are particularly bad. I think it must be urban sport to drive around drinking and throwing empty bottles out the car window into the bike lanes. When there are small bits everywhere it is impossible to avoid running over some. The majority of my commuting is on Super Moto X (R&M, Haibike and Tern GSD). The quantity of glass I rolled over today on the Big Apples - I have no idea how I didn't get a flat. Several times I could just feel and hear the tires crunching over small bits of glass. Somehow, I miraculously made it home, after a lot of glass crunching, with no flats:

1567126658929.png

If you are riding in areas that are a high risk for flats you may also want to consider adding some sealant to your tubes. A Belt and Suspenders!

I'm looking for opinions from the bike tire experts in the house. My Super Moto Xs have been excellent for grip and flat protection. I haven't had a flat yet despite riding over broken glass on every commute. They have a couple of options but I'm assuming mine are the flavor with 3mm Greenguard protection (as opposed to the flavor with RaceGuard protection):

Super Moto X:
1568419603871.png

The new Trek Allant+ is coming stocked with a Bontrager e-bike tire from their Hard Case Lite lineup. Perhaps this is a new tire for Bontrager as the Super Commuter, I think, stocked Super Moto X. The new tire is the same size at 27.5 x 2.4. The Bontrager has a kevlar liner but of 1mm. Is 1mm of kevlar equivalent to 3mm of Schwalbe's "hightech fiber"?

I have Bontrager's Hard Case Ultimates on my regular bike (700x35c) and I've found them to be good tires but really stiff. In about 1,000 miles, I've only had one flat but it wasn't from a puncture or due to a tire failure (spoke hole was exposed and tube was pinched).

If you have the Super Moto X or Hard Case Lites or just know tires, take a look at this and give me your take. A solid competitor to Schwalbe? Equivalent flat protection? How about the difference in the tread pattern? Will this Bontrager offer a solid grip with that inner bare strip?
1568420239096.png

I'm looking for opinions from the bike tire experts in the house. My Super Moto Xs have been excellent for grip and flat protection. I haven't had a flat yet despite riding over broken glass on every commute. They have a couple of options but I'm assuming mine are the flavor with 3mm Greenguard protection (as opposed to the flavor with RaceGuard protection):

Super Moto X:
View attachment 38343

The new Trek Allant+ is coming stocked with a Bontrager e-bike tire from their Hard Case Lite lineup. Perhaps this is a new tire for Bontrager as the Super Commuter, I think, stocked Super Moto X. The new tire is the same size at 27.5 x 2.4. The Bontrager has a kevlar liner but of 1mm. Is 1mm of kevlar equivalent to 3mm of Schwalbe's "hightech fiber"?

I have Bontrager's Hard Case Ultimates on my regular bike (700x35c) and I've found them to be good tires but really stiff. In about 1,000 miles, I've only had one flat but it wasn't from a puncture or due to a tire failure (spoke hole was exposed and tube was pinched).

If you have the Super Moto X or Hard Case Lites or just know tires, take a look at this and give me your take. A solid competitor to Schwalbe? Equivalent flat protection? How about the difference in the tread pattern? Will this Bontrager offer a solid grip with that inner bare strip?

The Bontrager looks like a copy of the SuperMoto X with the addition of a central rib for smooth road surfaces.

It appears to have the same tread design and reflective sidewall as the Schwalbe... along with the same $45 price.

For my money, I would probably stick the proven durability and quality of the Schwalbe unless I was in a pinch... ;)

1568439971979.png

Strange to hear about Super Moto-X failures - ours have been bomb proof through broken glass, rocky trails, curb drops, sidewall impacts, et cetera over 1500 miles and running. Not quite up to snuff (as far as sure-footedness, not durability) for truly technical or extreme downhill mountain biking, but otherwise handles just about everything. That said, I did once destroy a Schwalbe Marathon Plus taking it off a 20" rim on a trike. It was so difficult to get off I ended up damaging the bead. Certain Schwalbe tires - not all - seem to be nigh indestructible. 3 of those that I use/have used are the Moto-X, Marathon Plus and the Marathon GT 365. Another , which I haven't used, is the Mondial, which I plan to put on a bike in a future e-bike conversion. So if one failed it seems likely it was defective.

Indeed the Super Moto-X tires have been the best tire to come to market in ages. With so many of our bikes equipped with these tires and many of our customers upgrading to to these they have been amazing. We had one defective one where there was a wobble in the tire (most likely due to an issue when laying the cords, but that's it.

Just wish more sizes will become available as it's an awesome tire that offers great puncture resistance, great traction and long life.

Its a winner. Stock is not a problem on our end.

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

Indeed the Super Moto-X tires have been the best tire to come to market in ages. With so many of our bikes equipped with these tires and many of our customers upgrading to to these they have been amazing. We had one defective one where there was a wobble in the tire (most likely due to an issue when laying the cords, but that's it.

Just wish more sizes will become available as it's an awesome tire that offers great puncture resistance, great traction and long life.

Its a winner. Stock is not a problem on our end.

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

I agree 100%... the Super Moto is a great tire and performs well across all of the rated areas in 26" and 27.5" sizes.

The only issue is they do not produce a 28"/ 700C version so I often recommend the Big Ben in the 28 x 2.0" size.

Last edited:
Back