Saddle Sores

Thats what's on my St2 J.R. Black Imperial. Sweet Seat! A little slick when new. Got a ways to go till super comphy though . By the way thanks for the Parks bike stand tip. Gotta get something or build one.

Can't really say my Brooks B17S is comfortable. It's okay for the first 10 mi then my butt really feels it. It's not rubbing anywhere or causing any other issues, and it does have the tell-tale dimples where my sit bones hit, but it's not a saddle that I could use for any kind of distance riding (comfortably). At least, not yet. It's got about 350 miles on it now. I use Mink oil to moisturize it.

Brooks saddles I owned in the past weren't Imperial models, Brooks dropped the Imperial line for awhile, that's why I purchased my first Serfas, I really wanted to try a split/groove/Imperial saddle and I've never gone back. A decade ago or so Brooks brought back the Imperial line due to demand and Brooks' parent company sold a ton of grooved saddles under another name, but I was already using other brands by the time I knew about it.

I love the new B17 Imperial I have now, it's breaking in easier than other Brooks I've ridden. It was a little uncomfortable for the first 2-3 rides, but from then on I and it have been golden!

@PowerMe I've come across a few articles and one video on DIY Imperial cutting, if you'd be interested.

"Brooks saddles have been around for more than a hundred years for two reasons, yeah they look cool... but they work!"

Yesss! The first thing I did after I started riding my new 2015 Pedego Interceptor III was scrap its oversized "comfort" saddle and replace it with a properly oiled "B17 Standard" Brooks saddle. The Brooks provides real "comfort" for my 86 year old butt.
I did exactly the same thing as soon as I got my Electra Townie 8i. The saddle was cheap an much too smooth. I bought a Brooks B67, what a difference. It's expensive but the feeling is great.

Not exactly... there's another conclusion too, that noseless saddles are much healthier.

http://ipmba.org/blog/comments/no-nose-saddles

To each their own, and this post is not intended to criticize saddles with a nose, which are after all, pervasive. However it's not just police departments talking about noseless saddles, NIOSH also has something to say on the subject:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/bike/

Read the headlines at the link above. I promise you will find some articles that will be of interest to you!

However, noseless saddles face a marketing problem. Even though they're demonstratively safer, they are not in widespread use. For some insight as to the reasons why read this article:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-no-nose-bike-saddle-faces-a-marketing-problem/

Your old fashioned bicycle seat, that has been in place for a hundred years, has been there in spite of the design flaws. It was made for performance, not for safety of the rider's nerves. A nose on a bicycle seat may improve performance slightly, but it does so at harm to the rider.
Can you suggest some good no nose saddles?

Saddles are where the phrase less is more makes a lot of sense. When soft foam seats hit the market a few years ago I tried one thinking it may be nice. It was painful! If your riding very short distances a couple times a week, a large, soft saddle may be comfortable for you. If you're riding 10, 20, 30 miles several times a week, a large, soft saddle can be painful and dangerous to your health.

There have been many, many studies into bicycle saddles and they've all come to the same conclusion; a proper fitting firm saddle is your best defense against pain. A saddle has to be firm enough for your sit bones to raise your perineum off the saddle to minimize pressure and a saddle can't be so large and soft to put pressure on the nerves at the base of your spine.

Your sit bones are essentially the base of your pelvic bone, the massive bone structure that encompasses the hips and base of the spine. I know that's a simplistic description (not a doctor) but it works with regard to cycling. That base (sit-bones) is able to support you very well and will hold your body up keeping pressure from creating nerve pain. That nerve pain can do bizarre things like pain, tingling and numbness in your extremities. Hands, fingers, feet and toes... and yes men that extremity too! With time it can cause permanent damage.

This post is meant to help, not criticize any personal choice. If it's working for you cool, but read up on the subject, it's well worth your time. Brooks saddles have been around for more than a hundred years for two reasons, yeah they look cool... but they work! Other saddles that work well and cost a whole lot less than Brooks are Serfas Rx and Velo Plush.

I personally like the split or imperial saddles, they eliminate any pressure on the perineum and they allow air flow to keep you dry. I currently own Serfas, Velo and Avenir saddles.

All that being said you need to put time in any saddle to break it and you in. A Brooks leather saddle will take a lot more time to break in than a synthetic saddle but the Brooks will outlast most all other saddles by decades in most cases if taken care of. Saddles, pedals and grips are very personal cycling accessories, there's no one size fits all.

I hope this is helpful, let me know:)

Brooks B17 Special cured all my saddle sores. Worth every penny. Felt rediculous at first to buy a rock hard saddle, but after about 20 hours it is perfect.

Can you suggest some good no nose saddles?

Due to circulation issues, I've had to use noseless saddles for the last 20 years or so. After trying 9 different models, I found the Spiderflex to be the best:

download.jpg
As is the case with so many cycling products, what works for some may not for all. Unfortunately, "hands on", or in this case "butt on" experience is the only sure way to find what works best.

Brooks B17 Special cured all my saddle sores. Worth every penny. Felt rediculous at first to buy a rock hard saddle, but after about 20 hours it is perfect.
Even better than a noseless eh? That would be cool to have it break in and fit really well.

Due to circulation issues, I've had to use noseless saddles for the last 20 years or so. After trying 9 different models, I found the Spiderflex to be the best:

View attachment 56170
As is the case with so many cycling products, what works for some may not for all. Unfortunately, "hands on", or in this case "butt on" experience is the only sure way to find what works best.
True, gonna half to ride them. Does that Spiderflex have holes for your sitbones to center on? Aren't your sitbones supposed to hold your weight?

Have you tried the spongy wonder? https://spongywonder.com/

True, gonna half to ride them. Does that Spiderflex have holes for your sitbones to center on? Aren't your sitbones supposed to hold your weight?

Have you tried the spongy wonder? https://spongywonder.com/

Yes, the Spiderflex has holes for your sit bones. They are tapered to prevent pressure points. The seat is similar to the Spongy Wonder which I also have.
I prefer the Spiderflex due to it's built in shock absorber spring and the way it cradles your sit bones.

Yes, the Spiderflex has holes for your sit bones. They are tapered to prevent pressure points. The seat is similar to the Spongy Wonder which I also have.
I prefer the Spiderflex due to it's built in shock absorber spring and the way it cradles your sit bones.
Cool thanks, I'll probably try the spider first.

Back