RX 2021 spare battery

ThompsonRH

Region
Canada
Just received my spare battery for my 2021 RX. Its the same power as the original 15 Ah, 52V but it has an on/off switch. My question, during charging, should the switch be on or off or does it matter?

Just received my spare battery for my 2021 RX. Its the same power as the original 15 Ah, 52V but it has an on/off switch. My question, during charging, should the switch be on or off or does it matter?
Does the owners manual give a hint at how that should be done? If not, I'd be looking for a word with a Rize tech. I'm thinking the right answer is going to depend on how it's wired.

Just sent a request to Rize, odd that they provide no documentation with the battery. I’ll report back.

You maybe right, I did plug it in and it did eventually charge. But the charge state is not visible if you turn the switch to off. So I wasn’t sure if it had charged in the ON star or OFF state. Anyway I pinged Rize, we’ll see what they say

The response from Rize Tech Support is that it doesn't matter, ON or OFF but best to switch it OFF for safety reasons

I did 30 kms today and the total battery level was 95% at the end. Mainly level ground with a long hill at the end. Level 1 (out of 9 levels) all the time but barreling along at 30 kph for a lot of the time. But at this rate, I should be able to do an amazing 600 kms. But I doubt its linear, on one battery, it seems to fade pretty quickly from 20% down.

Interesting. 5% to go 30 km? My range total depends on a lot of things, and the hills here are frequent too, bu my average is about 55 to 60 km. Where do you live?

A couple of folks in the Rize FB group say 90% is the new 50% for the 2021 batteries. I’ve only been out a couple of times and it seems this is the case.

Ok well as expected, it’s definitely not linear. I’ll note down the bat % and distance, see how it pans out

hey what has your range been, average speed and weight? thank you for sharing!

Havent had chance to do any long trips, were thick in the middle of a winter storm in Montréal, so I won’t be trying today:) I need to find the time to do one long trip but that won’t be for a couple months. My impression is that it’s non linear, you seem to get incredible mileage when the batteries are fully charged but as it decreases, the voltage drops much quicker.

Not much linear regarding the discharge curve. It is something you get used to after riding for a while (mentally compensating, knowing about what you can expect). Winter temps are going to trash range capacity depending on how cold it is.

One thing I've learned is to charge when I start seeing 46v on the display. If it gets much below that and you need to climb a long hill or need full power for a minute, battery voltage COULD sag to the point the controller or BMS shuts you down. Thought being not cool if that happens crossing a busy road for instance. If/when it does shut down you can cycle the power and continue under power, but you'll need to be pretty conservative regarding how much power you're asking it to provide. It IS pretty hard on the battery to ride at these low levels much, so you want to keep that in mind as well.

Regarding range, so may factors, and with my 300lb weight and the fact I'm riding in a lot of rolling hills, I'm never going to be "best case" scenario. That said, I have some pretty good tires and the Frey Smooth tune on my '21 RX/RX Pro hybrid and I'm getting about 40 miles pretty regularly. Just keep in mind this bike has the 19.5AH battery when comparing it to a '22 model. I'm generally riding 10-14mph and using mostly PAS 1 on the level, with PAS 2 and 3 required frequently for climbing some of these hills I have to deal with. -Al

Ahh you may have identified a problem I had in the cold weather, well below zero C. I set off from a junction and there’s no power, it feels as if the motor is turned off. But the display is on and all looks normal (didn’t check voltage). After struggling for 10 or more revolutions, the motor starts up and everything seems good. This was with 50% on two batteries. Next time I’ll monitor the voltage.
Anyone know if you can download the data from the bike to check what the voltage was doing throughout the trip?

Back