RST Asteria Air Suspension 80mm Travel

Mike N.

Does anyone have any information on the air suspension for the LMT'D? Like maximum air pressure setting? I think I will write to the support site on the Ride1up page.

Hello Mike , I just took delivery on a LMT'D . Thanks for passing along all your valuable experience and information . As Ride1up got back to you about air suspension yet ?

This is what I wrote. "Hi, is there any information on the air suspension on the LMT'D like maximum pressure? I tried searching on line and can't seem to find anything."

This was their answer.
"Hello Michael,

To add air you will need a shock pump. Most shock pumps have a guide for the Air to rider weight ratio which will tell you how much air to use. Or, you can pump it until it provides the amount of dampening/ stiffness you'd like, However you still want to use a shock pump for this, as the volume is significantly less than a pump for bike tires and can blow out the seals.

Fox, Rokshox, and other brands make shock pumps and should be available at your LBS or amazon!"

I already knew you needed a special pump that I have already purchased from my Giant bike dealer. I'm surprised with all the LMT'D's sold no one has asked any questions.
Well, maybe more information will show up over the next couple of months.

Also found this recommended fork pressure chart on the RST website. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 62975680-0E0A-4ECD-9F55-26CAACBFB130.jpeg
    62975680-0E0A-4ECD-9F55-26CAACBFB130.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 1,709
A rule of thumb on mountain bikes is to start your air pressure at half your body weight. Put a zip tie snugly around the fork leg upper so that it will move and stay at its highest point. If it does not get pushed to the top of the stanchion/fork leg, let some air out. Five pounds of pressure is a big change.

Has anyone who has a Ltd who also has a high quality mountain bike compared the Asteria to a really good fork? I have a RockShox Yari on my mtn bike; compared to that the fork on my 700 is very low quality. I've even changed the spring to a softer one, but it is still only mediocre. It has no damping whatsoever.

Thanks for this discussion. I am completely new to suspension forks, so a basic question: is the fork all-or-nothing? That is, you can either lock it out or have suspension at whatever level it's set at (discussed above)?

My Harley Trike has air suspension and in their Manual, it gives a guide for weight and PSI. I am using their shock pump, but not their guide.

Hi -- Enough buyers of Ride1Up Ltd's and 700's are out there that I'm sure there are fork questions.

In keeping with the Fn'F theme, I'm in the process of replacing my fork and here's my two-cents/ information/ opinion/ a bit of research/ long-term hands on view - limited in experience for sure. If you know something I don't or I'm incorrect about, let me know.

Unfortunately there's no RST owners manual or links to one.
First question is which fork is it?
So, let's end the speculation. Here's the factory (2018) catalog showing our Asteria RST 28.6 TNL on page 57. My tape says we have the 80mm travel version.
-
I replaced my pump's broken gauge and found I was running about 50psi.
Dump a sixer in the front basket, first small bump it'd lock out of it's own - so I'd saved 'it' the work and locked myself.

Fast forward/ new gauge: Trial and error.
The sweet spot is 1.9 - 2.1lbs rider weight per every 10psi. pressure.
200lb you = 95 --105psi ... etc.
-
At 2350gms, the 'Economy' model, '28.6 TNL' is heavy - the RockShox Judy Gold I've in mind is1700gms).
Being a straight steering tube type, upgrade selection is limited (no FOX). However, straight tubers get more bang for the buck and $4 - 500 will get you a top-end fork, whereas for tapered tube types +$700.00 is a medium entry point.
-
From day one, my RST's rebound (what there is) stuck and shuddered; the stiffness adjustment changed itself; setting sag was near impossible; and the maintenance kits are unavailable (except for hacking something else similar) that I can find.
But buyers wouldn't pay a $350 price increase for a 'Judy' - if it was even possible at the assembly point.

The RST finish is (flat black) durable; no detectable flex. I use
It's a great entry level fork that while holding the bottom line low for consumers, is fine for weekend Farmer's Market cruises, absorbs pavement and smaller hits just fine, fitting the functions of most of users.

So I (Crash Dummy) must 'a broke it. Now it won't hold 70psi pressure.
I'll take it out to jump a few curbs test tomorrow, then check and dump this sucker go forward with logical improvements.

Other considerations when replacing is how much do you really want? As a member pointed out to me 'a solid axle type means changing the wheel'. We use skewers and logging roads is not my in future.

I'd like to hear from pros that know more.
Someone w/ knowledge 'bout a Recon gold straight tube ? Is it worth the extra cash - if I can find one?

Ride on, ride on !!!

Fn'F

Last edited:
Back