Rohloff Speed hubs on E-bikes (Mechanical and E-14) - Discussion

I have a couple of theories on the e-14 issues and oil leak in general

1. The axle is not installed correctly / alignment is off when the electronic shifter is installed. Over time it leads to oil leaks. Even a 0.25 mm tolerance issue will leak over time - fatigue failure.

2. When put on ebikes, I think the hubs take more beating in general. Small particulate matter adds up and clogs the seal. Over time the seal gets dry, and fails.

thoughts? There is definitely more to this than just rohloff. I know other hubs aren’t doing better with ebikes either.

I have a couple of theories on the e-14 issues and oil leak in general

1. The axle is not installed correctly / alignment is off when the electronic shifter is installed. Over time it leads to oil leaks. Even a 0.25 mm tolerance issue will leak over time - fatigue failure.

2. When put on ebikes, I think the hubs take more beating in general. Small particulate matter adds up and clogs the seal. Over time the seal gets dry, and fails.

thoughts? There is definitely more to this than just rohloff. I know other hubs aren’t doing better with ebikes either.
Hi, good points, along with a few others like gates belt tension , and having a kick stand on your bike , but nothing official out there to inform users who like myself are fishing about for answers , even from some experts ? , but ultimately its down to Rohloff who I am sure Validate and compile data to help inform others , in my case ! the bike is just over two years old and two oil leaks in two years , where the majority of other R&M users have not had a single oil leak in how many years ? I have used Rohloff for years on my old trusted steel touring bike and never once had a leak .

With ebikes we are all in uncharted territories. Every component has to be rethought.
Most hubs in the market are over 10 years old at a min. Hopefully we will see better, stronger designs.
The trade off is weight. Of course.

Who should help you or facilitate this repair during the entire process? Why should you lose your warranty period in this imbroglio? Who has to keep up the warranty on your bike?
Upvoted for strategic use of the word "imbroglio."

I've got over 21,000 kms so far on my E14 and other than some minor oil seepage in very hot weather all's well.

I've got over 21,000 kms so far on my E14 and other than some minor oil seepage in very hot weather all's well.
"The president of our sports club is a wonderful person, and it is not true that the roof was leaking where our team was recently staying, especially as it was hardly raining".
💪💪💪

Back