Rode up on homeless person sleeping on bike trail.

We had this homeless dude sleeping on a sidewalk with the most perfect look. He had this cool looking hair and beard combo that made him look like a villain from a 70's Superman movie! But yes, bums will set up camp at the worst possible places sometimes. I guess its just the new normal now.

This is a constant issue on urban trails in my area. There have been a few assaults on pedestrians & bikers, but these occurrences are rare.

It's a shame really, since some of these trails are quite scenic. Unfortunately, the situation makes me avoid them.

As you go from the bright sun to a dark underpass tunnel you will often find sprawled shopping carts filled with garbage and someone sleeping in the path. I slow down, lift my sunglasses and let my eyes adjust. I have compassion and it is a public danger. My town does have a SAFE (Specialized Assistance for Everyone) team. They have a van that is like an ambulance. They divert people away from law enforcement and emergency rooms to help them when in crisis. This saves tons of money and is better for everyone.

"The goal of the SAFE team is to address crisis response, prevention and intervention for our most vulnerable community members experiencing mental health issues, substance abuse issues and homelessness. This team is made up of civilian first responders, who will respond to and proactively address calls for service that have traditionally (and unnecessarily) burdened law enforcement, emergency medical services and health care providers."

I saw police next to a freeway on-ramp yesterday, then noticed the city crew cleaning up the homeless camp. I smiled.

As much as I used to hate bums, I now will ask them if they're okay, at least acknowledge them. And if I'm in a fast food place ordering my food and notice a destitute looking person counting change I'll ask them what they want and add it to my order. Maybe it's because I'm getting older or something but I try to show some compassion, and I'm still not the most outgoing person.

The USA isn't the only country with outlandish rent and not all homeless people are junkies, but these new street drugs are just making everything much worse.

As much as I used to hate bums, I now will ask them if they're okay, at least acknowledge them. And if I'm in a fast food place ordering my food and notice a destitute looking person counting change I'll ask them what they want and add it to my order. Maybe it's because I'm getting older or something but I try to show some compassion, and I'm still not the most outgoing person.

The USA isn't the only country with outlandish rent and not all homeless people are junkies, but these new street drugs are just making everything much worse.
I do extend courtesy, and sometimes a donation, to people down on their luck, as I realize that but for the grace of God it could be me. I also donate to local food banks and a particular shelter organization. However, when they’re obviously using drugs, I don’t believe a handout or allowing them to live on the streets is doing them a favor. What we need is better mental health and drug abuse services. I’ll gladly pay my share via taxes if local government would put together a sensible program. Unfortunately, most government programs are poorly designed and are examples of waste on a grand scale. I’ll admit though, I don’t have the answers as to how to make it work, at least not affordably.

We have this silly huge underpass that I go thru almost daily. It became tent city for awhile until our city cleared it out. It always smelled like pee and poo under there! The bums will slowly test the space by putting a little bit of stuff under the overpass and then, boom!, tent city again. Then the police and the city clears it out again. It's a constant cycle. I'll try and get a picture of this underpass. Its a crazy huge space. If you local in Norfolk, VA it's the Military Hwy overpass of Virginia Beach Blvd.

The kicker to this is there's a Salvation Army housing unit right down the street. I've heard thru a friend that homeless shelter is crazy! You literally have to put your shoes under the bed legs so they wont get stolen at night! There's a Royal Farms a block away and they (RoFo) took out the outside benches because the bums would just loaf there all day and night bugging customers. In my meaner years I've exchanged a few choice words with the bums outside that RoFo. I'm kinda ashamed of myself for doing that now that I think about it.

I do extend courtesy, and sometimes a donation, to people down on their luck, as I realize that but for the grace of God it could be me. I also donate to local food banks and a particular shelter organization. However, when they’re obviously using drugs, I don’t believe a handout or allowing them to live on the streets is doing them a favor. What we need is better mental health and drug abuse services. I’ll gladly pay my share via taxes if local government would put together a sensible program. Unfortunately, most government programs are poorly designed and are examples of waste on a grand scale. I’ll admit though, I don’t have the answers as to how to make it work, at least not affordably.
I focus my donations and time to the local animal shelter and related causes. Animals can't really choose how or who ends up taking care of them. That's also how I wound up with 3 cats! And I have bird feeders and squirrel feeder. Spring is big money payout for bird food and assorted nuts! At night I get a possum, a feral cat (fixed female) and racoon gangs. My cats come in at dusk. Their street light cats!

Last edited:
When I leave a good used tire or a can of chili in an underpass, it is always gone on the return trip. What I do not like is that there is a guy who cruises to all the hot spots to make exchanges.

A very large encampment was removed two-years-ago here with bulldozers and cops. There was no sanitation. It was a public health issue. Each were offered safe shelter but only three out of over 50 took it.

We had a camp next to a building I lease. One “resident” hacked his girlfriend to death with a machete. He was arrested, but the camp remained, with about 25 trailers, motor homes or tents. A few months later, another “resident” murdered a random stranger outside a nearby hardware store. At that point, the city declared an emergency and “permanently” cleaned up the camp. Within weeks, the camp was reestablished with nearly 40 units. Finally, a few months later they cleared it again, and they now immediately roust anyone trying to camp there, towing them if necessary. We’re hopeful they continue this after the elections.

I should also mention there was a daycare next to the camp. The kids could watch people carrying guns openly, waving machetes, smoking meth or passed out from opiates, right in front of their building entrance.

Total time we put up with the camp was nearly 4 years!

I went to McDonalds last week in central Liverpool after dropping off my mother at the hospital for an eye check
Got to the drive through pay booth and a homeless guy was lying on the floor between my car and the window, holding his hand up for money as I paid.

He probably has to pay rent to a local gangster for the spot 😂

A couple of weeks ago I was riding home from Tynehead park on the usual greenway.
I saw 2 or 3 people stopped and talking/pointing at something.
I stopped and asked them what was up. They pointed me at an obviously comatose man leaning his back up against a pole just off the path.
The insinuation was that they were not sure if he was alive or not as he had not moved.
I asked an older lady to hold my bike, got off and started towards the man. 2/3rds of the way there he jolted and moved/rolled a bit.
I turned around and said "he's OK, just out of it".
I got on my bike and said to the observers that he just needs to sleep it off and went on my way after thanking the lady for holding my bike.
Now... you are completely allowed to think of me positively or negatively based on what I did or did not do, but know this...
It was less than a month previous that I went to a friend/workmate's house to check on him. He was riddled with cancer. I found him stone cold dead.
That was a supremely shitty day, and I STILL can't (and maybe never will) scrub that image from my mind...

We had this homeless dude sleeping on a sidewalk with the most perfect look. He had this cool looking hair and beard combo that made him look like a villain from a 70's Superman movie! But yes, bums will set up camp at the worst possible places sometimes. I guess its just the new normal now.

What right do YOU have to call these people "bums" DO YOU KNOW their situation, have YOU ever been homeless ?

What right do YOU have to call these people "bums" DO YOU KNOW their situation, have YOU ever been homeless ?
Bums don't wanna work. They let drugs and/or booze make all their poor choices in life. I know not to let drugs and/or booze control my life.

Homeless people have an unfortunate event happen and they try to get out of the situation. If they succumb to using drugs and/or booze then they become bums.

Yes, I'm aware this sounds harsh and there is a fine line when someone can be helped AND want the help. We have this guy who stands on the corner everyday panhandling (they call it flying a kite) and if he can stand all day walking up and down the median strip they he can stand at a McDonalds for 8 hours a day and earn a honest living. What really gets me is we had this young, healthy looking kid holding a sign (flying a kite) at the intersection. On the back of the sign it said "Now hiring-roofers" with the company number. I told him to flip the sign over and read the back. He told me to F-off. He is a bum.

Last edited:
Back