Rode our first ebikes/May need to cancel R1U

Ridin222

So while taking a short staycation in Monterey, CA, I came across a bike rental spot that carried all RAD bikes. When I first started shopping for ebikes months ago, RAD was high on the list (along with Juiced, Bolton, Biktrix, Sondors, Espin and R1U). And since we've never even been on an ebike, I figured why not rent a couple of RAD bikes to prepare for our R1U 700's (coming in October). Anyway, let me just say WOW, WOW, WOW! We had so much fun. We rode for 3 hours, me on a Rover Stepthru (26x4" tires) and she on a Mini Stepthru (20x4" tires, foldable). So here's where a problem may be with the R1U 700's we're waiting on- the size. My GF (5'2"), even myself (5'4") fit on the Mini Stepthru perfectly. The Rover Stepthru, I BARELY fit on and it hurt me bum while riding, to say the least. She couldn't fit on the Rover at all and the seat was all the way down. The thing is BIG. With this being said, will we have any trouble on the R1U 700 ST? If anyone out there has ridden or owns all 3 bikes to compare, I'd appreciate any input. Also, spec wise, the RAD bikes 'say' they are 750w/80nm torque. They are pretty powerful. We took some steep hills and did just fine. Being that the R1U says 500w/50nm torque, and being a novice to all this, is that still just as good? Between this and many issues with R1U now coming about on the Facebook forums, we are really questioning if we bought the right bikes for us. I hope we did, but yea, there are some worries, especially the size factor now. We both would have been great with smaller, 20" tire bikes. Though I've been thinking of ordering a Lectric XP for the fun of it anyway as well as have our R1U 700's. But she loved the RAD Mini Stepthru so much, she even mentioned cancelling her R1U and ordering one of those instead. I dunno what to do! 😒

*Pic is of my GF on the Rad Mini with the seat all the way down. It was literally the perfect fit. Will she fit well on the R1U 700 ST?
20200920_084727.jpg

Last edited:
So while taking a short staycation in Monterey, CA, I came across a bike rental spot that carried all RAD bikes. When I first started shopping for ebikes months ago, RAD was high on the list (along with Juiced, Bolton, Biktrix, Sondors, Espin and R1U). And since we've never even been on an ebike, I figured why not rent a couple of RAD bikes to prepare for our R1U 700's (coming in October). Anyway, let me just say WOW, WOW, WOW! We had so much fun. We rode for 3 hours, me on a Rover Stepthru (26x4" tires) and she on a Mini Stepthru (20x4" tires, foldable). So here's where a problem may be with the R1U 700's we're waiting on- the size. My GF (5'2"), even myself (5'4") fit on the Mini Stepthru perfectly. The Rover Stepthru, I BARELY fit on and it hurt me bum while riding, to say the least. She couldn't fit on the Rover at all and the seat was all the way down. The thing is BIG. With this being said, will we have any trouble on the R1U 700 ST? If anyone out there has ridden or owns all 3 bikes to compare, I'd appreciate any input. Also, spec wise, the RAD bikes 'say' they are 750w/40nm torque. They are pretty powerful. We took some steep hills and did just fine. Being that the R1U says 500w/50nm torque, and being a novice to all this, is that still just as good? Between this and many issues with R1U now coming about on the Facebook forums, we are really questioning if we bought the right bikes for us. I hope we did, but yea, there are some worries, especially the size factor now. We both would have been great with smaller, 20" tire bikes. Though I've been thinking of ordering a Lectric XP for the fun of it anyway as well as have our R1U 700's. But she loved the RAD Mini Stepthru so much, she even mentioned cancelling her R1U and ordering one of those instead. I dunno what to do! 😒

*Pic is of my GF on the Rad Mini with the seat all the way down. It was literally the perfect fit. Will she fit well on the R1U 700 ST? View attachment 65963
222....hang in there with us. R1U has specific dimensions for the ST. Check them out vs the RAD. I betcha it'll work for you. And the RAD bikes are ugly!

what's the penalty for cancelling? Go with your instincts, you can't go wrong. The R1U are nice bikes and support is great. Sure they have issues but the genuinely try to help you out. The 700 ST is 5' and up. Should be good

So while taking a short staycation in Monterey, CA, I came across a bike rental spot that carried all RAD bikes. When I first started shopping for ebikes months ago, RAD was high on the list (along with Juiced, Bolton, Biktrix, Sondors, Espin and R1U). And since we've never even been on an ebike, I figured why not rent a couple of RAD bikes to prepare for our R1U 700's (coming in October). Anyway, let me just say WOW, WOW, WOW! We had so much fun. We rode for 3 hours, me on a Rover Stepthru (26x4" tires) and she on a Mini Stepthru (20x4" tires, foldable). So here's where a problem may be with the R1U 700's we're waiting on- the size. My GF (5'2"), even myself (5'4") fit on the Mini Stepthru perfectly. The Rover Stepthru, I BARELY fit on and it hurt me bum while riding, to say the least. She couldn't fit on the Rover at all and the seat was all the way down. The thing is BIG. With this being said, will we have any trouble on the R1U 700 ST? If anyone out there has ridden or owns all 3 bikes to compare, I'd appreciate any input. Also, spec wise, the RAD bikes 'say' they are 750w/40nm torque. They are pretty powerful. We took some steep hills and did just fine. Being that the R1U says 500w/50nm torque, and being a novice to all this, is that still just as good? Between this and many issues with R1U now coming about on the Facebook forums, we are really questioning if we bought the right bikes for us. I hope we did, but yea, there are some worries, especially the size factor now. We both would have been great with smaller, 20" tire bikes. Though I've been thinking of ordering a Lectric XP for the fun of it anyway as well as have our R1U 700's. But she loved the RAD Mini Stepthru so much, she even mentioned cancelling her R1U and ordering one of those instead. I dunno what to do! 😒

*Pic is of my GF on the Rad Mini with the seat all the way down. It was literally the perfect fit. Will she fit well on the R1U 700 ST? View attachment 65963
The Rad mini and Rover have 80nm of torque not 40. Another thought is the R1 is a class three and might not be allowed on certain trails. I know that I also canceled a R1up 700 in favor of a Rad Rover. It cost something like $40 for the credit card fee to do so and only found out after I had gone to a local trail that it would not be allowed while the Rover would be OK.

The Rad mini and Rover have 80nm of torque not 40. Another thought is the R1 is a class three and might not be allowed on certain trails. I know that I also canceled a R1up 700 in favor of a Rad Rover. It cost something like $40 for the credit card fee to do so and only found out after I had gone to a local trail that it would not be allowed while the Rover would be OK.
Oop, my bad. The RAD site was set on the Rad City, hence why I saw 40nm torque. Thanks for the catch. So then yea, it has more than the R1U. Hmmm. This is gonna be a hard one. I love the style of the R1U (including hidden battery) and the fact you can change the PAS % levels. But I also loved the fit (on the Mini), power and fat tires of the RAD. Another choice would be a Biktrix Stunner X. They have different size frames, tire sizes, you can also change the PAS % level and has great support. But they are $$$$. I almost wonder if I should cancel my GF R1U and get her the RAD Mini she loved and keep my R1U so we have options when going out for a ride.

what's the penalty for cancelling? Go with your instincts, you can't go wrong. The R1U are nice bikes and support is great. Sure they have issues but the genuinely try to help you out. The 700 ST is 5' and up. Should be good
Not sure of the penalty. You'd think after my poor experience with support a month or so back, the wait time of shipment and the issues attached to the bikes, they would waive any penalty fees. :rolleyes: I am thinking of cancelling my GF 700 ST and getting her the RAD Mini and I will keep my 700 ST on the way. Then we'd have a choice of who wants to ride what when heading out (IF she can fit on the700).

222....hang in there with us. R1U has specific dimensions for the ST. Check them out vs the RAD. I betcha it'll work for you. And the RAD bikes are ugly!
I actually like the RAD style. I wanted a fat tire bike to begin with. But after much debate and opinions on here, I decided they weren't 'needed'. But I still like them. It was a fun ride, for sure (minus the pain I'm in today- ha!). I may keep my R1U 700 order, but cancel my GF's and get her the RAD Mini. She really liked it and fit so well. That way we can have both to choose from when going out for rides (IF she fits on the 700 and even wants to ride it). I dunno yet.

While you can't go wrong with RAD or R1U... you may still want to consider an XP Step Through.

One other thing is what are the weights of these bikes if you plan to transport them?

So while taking a short staycation in Monterey, CA, I came across a bike rental spot that carried all RAD bikes. When I first started shopping for ebikes months ago, RAD was high on the list (along with Juiced, Bolton, Biktrix, Sondors, Espin and R1U). And since we've never even been on an ebike, I figured why not rent a couple of RAD bikes to prepare for our R1U 700's (coming in October). Anyway, let me just say WOW, WOW, WOW! We had so much fun. We rode for 3 hours, me on a Rover Stepthru (26x4" tires) and she on a Mini Stepthru (20x4" tires, foldable). So here's where a problem may be with the R1U 700's we're waiting on- the size. My GF (5'2"), even myself (5'4") fit on the Mini Stepthru perfectly. The Rover Stepthru, I BARELY fit on and it hurt me bum while riding, to say the least. She couldn't fit on the Rover at all and the seat was all the way down. The thing is BIG. With this being said, will we have any trouble on the R1U 700 ST? If anyone out there has ridden or owns all 3 bikes to compare, I'd appreciate any input. Also, spec wise, the RAD bikes 'say' they are 750w/80nm torque. They are pretty powerful. We took some steep hills and did just fine. Being that the R1U says 500w/50nm torque, and being a novice to all this, is that still just as good? Between this and many issues with R1U now coming about on the Facebook forums, we are really questioning if we bought the right bikes for us. I hope we did, but yea, there are some worries, especially the size factor now. We both would have been great with smaller, 20" tire bikes. Though I've been thinking of ordering a Lectric XP for the fun of it anyway as well as have our R1U 700's. But she loved the RAD Mini Stepthru so much, she even mentioned cancelling her R1U and ordering one of those instead. I dunno what to do! 😒

Nice ride... it looks like you did the 17-mile drive from Monterey to Pebble Beach? ;)

Regarding your bike choice... I would definitely stick with the R1U 700 ST if it were me.

The step-thru frame has a very low seat and standover height combined with better component specs.

1600621918054.png

Last edited:
Nice ride... it looks like you did the 17-mile drive from Monterey to Pebble Beach? ;)

Regarding your bike choice... I would definitely stick with the R1U 700 ST if it were me.

The step-thru frame has a very low seat and standover height combined with better component specs.

View attachment 65974
Yep, we sure did. Beautiful ride! I want to stay with R1U, especially as we've been waiting so long already. But IF she can't fit well on it (she wants her feet to touch the ground while seated and stopped like they did on the RAD Mini), then we may need to get her what she wants/needs. As for components, isn't the motor (750w) and torque (80nm) on the RAD better than R1U? Maybe I still don't fully understand the technical aspect of it all though. 🤷‍♂️

Yep, we sure did. Beautiful ride!

I want to stay with R1U, especially as we've been waiting so long already. But IF she can't fit well on it (she wants her feet to touch the ground while seated and stopped like they did on the RAD Mini), then we may need to get her what she wants/needs. As for components, isn't the motor (750w) and torque (80nm) on the RAD better than R1U? Maybe I still don't fully understand the technical aspect of it all though. 🤷‍♂️

The 17-mile drive is one of my favorites rides in the world... check out the ride to Point Lobos and Big Sur the next time you visit. ;)

Regarding the specs of the R1U... according to Electrek, the rear hub is rated at 1000W, but I would focus on the better specifications over the Rad.

The Ride1Up 700 Series was announced in November, creating quite a stir in the e-bike community. The bike went on sale for just $1,449, yet offered components that are normally found on electric bikes well into the $2,000-$3,000 range. Not only did the Ride1Up 700 Series come with a top speed of 27 mph (43.5 km/h), but it packed in a 700 Wh Samsung battery integrated into the frame. That large battery can provide between 30 to 60 miles (51-102 km) of range, depending on whether you use pedal-assist or the hand throttle.

The rear hub motor is rated for 1,000 W of peak power. Stopping is achieved by dual Shimano hydraulic disk brakes. A 100-mm travel suspension fork up front and a pair of Schwalbe Super Moto 2.4-inch tires provide a smooth ride. Front and rear LED lights, full-color display, metal fenders, and a 50-lb capacity rear rack all come standard. Two different frame styles are available to fit riders from 5’0″ to 6’4″ (1.52 m to 1.93 m).

To summarize, we’re talking about a 1,000 W e-bike with hydraulic brakes, long-range integrated battery, Class 3 speeds, and high-end components included standard, all for a lower price than some of the leading budget and mid-range e-bikes in the industry.

Ride1Up 700 Series ebike

Last edited:
My wife has a 700 Step Thru. She is 5'5" and fits on it just fine. There is still room to lower the seatpost - off the top of my head I think it could drop two inches or so. (Its in the shed and I don't want to run out to look at it.) One other factor to keep in mind is the length of the top tube and the stem. The step thru is much closer from seat to stem than my 700 step over. Ours also came with the stems that have adjustable angle, which can bring the handlebars closer to the seat. If the new ones don't have the adjustable stem, they are available on Amazon or eBay for less than $20.

A few nice items on the R1U - the hydraulic brakes work very well. Strong and smooth. It appears the RadMini has mechanical discs. Plus the rack is very helpful. The fork is only so so but can be improved by substituting a softer spring. I am only 170 lbs, and it was too stiff to be very useful. Finally, the enclosed battery is well integrated and looks great. Good luck on your decision.

I'm in a similar position to you, currently waiting on my Ride1Up. I can tell you that I have thought many times about whether I would prefer a Rad. However, there are two things that always stop me from going that way. Many of the bike paths in my area only allow 500W class 1 ebikes. So for me, a motor that's rated as a 500W motor, a throttle that's easily detachable, and power assist levels that can be modified not to go faster than 20 mph matter. I happen to think these rules are sort of stupid -- it ought to be about how fast you are actually going, rather than what your bicycle is capable of doing -- but I didn't want to buy a bike that couldn't be made legal to ride on the bike path that's literally a block from my house.

My wife has a 700 Step Thru. She is 5'5" and fits on it just fine. There is still room to lower the seatpost - off the top of my head I think it could drop two inches or so. (Its in the shed and I don't want to run out to look at it.) One other factor to keep in mind is the length of the top tube and the stem. The step thru is much closer from seat to stem than my 700 step over. Ours also came with the stems that have adjustable angle, which can bring the handlebars closer to the seat. If the new ones don't have the adjustable stem, they are available on Amazon or eBay for less than $20.
My GF is 5'2" with maybe a 26" inseam. She had to put the seat down on the RAD Mini all the way which is 24" (31" max). The 700 ST is 32" min (38" max). That min is a big difference. Also, the RAD Mini frame is 14", seat tube 14.5" with a 16" reach. The 700 ST is 15" standover, 18" seat tube with an 18" reach. While stopped on the RAD Mini, the bottom of her feet JUST touched the ground while still sitting on the seat. If she raised the seat any higher, they wouldn't be. So with all this said, do you feel she could fit on the 700 ST the same way?

I say cancel one of the 700's. Get yours and see how she feels on it. I bet she will feel it is too big. Even though it is a a step thru, as you point out the seat height, reach and frame are bigger than the bike she was comfortable on. My son got a R1up 500 and he barely fits. The seat is all the way down and cannot accomodate the suspension seat post he wants. He is at least 5'6" and has a 30 inch inseam. Even if your gf barely fits on the 700 ST she will not be able to easily put her feet on the ground when she stops. If she does not feel comfortable it will not be fun. I believe most bike companies exagerate the heights of people who will fit on their one size fits all bikes by about two inches. Don't get the bike and try to return it. That is a major hassle. This way, if she likes your 700 st you can decide to order another later. I say cancel her 700 ST and just let her get the bike she wants. My daughter is 5'4". I ordered an Lectric xp step through for her. She would not be comfortable on any of the current R1Up or Espin models.

My GF is 5'2" with maybe a 26" inseam. She had to put the seat down on the RAD Mini all the way which is 24" (31" max). The 700 ST is 32" min (38" max). That min is a big difference. Also, the RAD Mini frame is 14", seat tube 14.5" with a 16" reach. The 700 ST is 15" standover, 18" seat tube with an 18" reach. While stopped on the RAD Mini, the bottom of her feet JUST touched the ground while still sitting on the seat. If she raised the seat any higher, they wouldn't be. So with all this said, do you feel she could fit on the 700 ST the same way?

i don’t think she’d like the 700. Looking at the bike, there is no way she’d be able to put her feet down while sitting on the seat.
Now, “real bicyclists” will tell you that you should hop off the seat and lean the bike over some when you stop, but for lots of beginners and/or folks with mobility issues, that’s a barrier to even beginning riding.

i don’t think she’d like the 700. Looking at the bike, there is no way she’d be able to put her feet down while sitting on the seat.
Now, “real bicyclists” will tell you that you should hop off the seat and lean the bike over some when you stop, but for lots of beginners and/or folks with mobility issues, that’s a barrier to even beginning riding.
Agreed. I need to contact R1U and see how to go about cancelling her bike. I am even tempted to cancel mine as I am barely 5'4" and JUST fit on the RAD Rover Stepthru. It was a big bike! I managed it, but was also more comfy on the RAD Mini.

I say cancel one of the 700's. Get yours and see how she feels on it. I bet she will feel it is too big. Even though it is a a step thru, as you point out the seat height, reach and frame are bigger than the bike she was comfortable on. My son got a R1up 500 and he barely fits. The seat is all the way down and cannot accomodate the suspension seat post he wants. He is at least 5'6" and has a 30 inch inseam. Even if your gf barely fits on the 700 ST she will not be able to easily put her feet on the ground when she stops. If she does not feel comfortable it will not be fun. I believe most bike companies exagerate the heights of people who will fit on their one size fits all bikes by about two inches. Don't get the bike and try to return it. That is a major hassle. This way, if she likes your 700 st you can decide to order another later. I say cancel her 700 ST and just let her get the bike she wants. My daughter is 5'4". I ordered an Lectric xp step through for her. She would not be comfortable on any of the current R1Up or Espin models.
If she can't stop and touch the ground (as she is on the pic above), it'll be too big for her and she won't use it as she feels uncomfy and unsafe. So yea, I feel I need to cancel her 700ST. I am bummed as she really loved the look of the bike and the fact she can change pedal assist %. She help to choose the R1U over a few others we had picked and we've already waited over a month for shipping. Now mine will come and not hers to ride with me. She LOVED being out there this past weekend. I feel bad. However, with that said, I may even cancel my R1U as I am barely 5'4" and JUST fit on the RAD Rover Stepthru. That bike was huge! I did better on the RAD Mini, just as she did. So maybe cancelling both is the best bet. I would hate to have a bike(s) just sit there because we can't fit. That is over $3k just staring at us and us as it. We just want to ride already! It's been months of researching, finally buying, waiting for shipment and now this happened. If bike shops and rental places were open when we were shopping around, we would have rented then and found all this out ahead of time. But they weren't. They would sale (outside), but no test rides or rentals thanks to Covid.

Back