Rockstar owners

I would have to wonder how only the front forks could be damaged while being transported.
Ya I’m not sure how that happens, the little clip that the brake line runs through was broke off, the fork body cracked right through by where the screw goes through, I’m guessing a bad run of shocks from suntour, must be an issue with the casting process. Not sure what sondors will do, I’d rather a few hundred dollars off the bike than get a new fork. The rockshox yari front fork is so much nicer, and it’s lighter as well with 30mm more travel. Took me 20 mins to swap forks. Absolutely no grease in the headset from factory, no loctite on the stem bolt that goes into the spider nut. Other than that the bike charged up good, and everything else so far works as it should. Only went down the block last night after it charged, gonna take it for a cruise after work today and really try it out.

Howdy, Please let me know how it works for you. I'm reluctant to take my business to Dick's because of some political stances they've taken, but I might reconsider it if the stand is a winner.
There's a brand called Toptrek. It works great on a Rockstar and is sturdy enough.

Ya I’m not sure how that happens, the little clip that the brake line runs through was broke off, the fork body cracked right through by where the screw goes through, I’m guessing a bad run of shocks from suntour, must be an issue with the casting process. Not sure what sondors will do, I’d rather a few hundred dollars off the bike than get a new fork. The rockshox yari front fork is so much nicer, and it’s lighter as well with 30mm more travel. Took me 20 mins to swap forks. Absolutely no grease in the headset from factory, no loctite on the stem bolt that goes into the spider nut. Other than that the bike charged up good, and everything else so far works as it should. Only went down the block last night after it charged, gonna take it for a cruise after work today and really try it out.
The bad news is these current forks with the black stanchions are not Suntour but made by Mozo and they are the ones arriving broken. I'm fortunate that mine were not broken when delivered

The bad news is these current forks with the black stanchions are not Suntour but made by Mozo and they are the ones arriving broken. I'm fortunate that mine were not broken when delivered
Says suntour right on it, either way both are junk

There's a brand called Toptrek. It works great on a Rockstar and is sturdy enough.
Thanks. I'll investigate it. I'm spoiled. The one on my Aventon Aventure is massive and screws right into the frame. I'd like to find something that substantial in a Universal Kickstand, if possible.

Wow. They must have changed again. I'll have to look at mine closer. I'd rather they be Suntour than Mozo.
I recommend the rockshox yari debonaire front fork, very smooth, just put 6 miles on it on some relatively frozen bumpy stretches and it soaked up everything quite nicely, can’t wait for the snow to melt to really test it out, it’s also a relatively cheap upgrade, took 20 mins to swap it out, has 180mm travel and will last way longer

Yari I got is 160mm on my bike (not Rockstar)
Did you upgrade to Liryk?
No lyrik upgrade yet. I have the internals for the upgrade to make it like the lyrik but probably won’t use them, came free with the shock, was a clear out deal they had on, getting rid of all 2021 stock

I avoid Dick’s for the exact same reason. But I haven’t found a long, sturdy bolt-on stand anywhere else.
Someone on the sondors forum has this installed, without the top part. I’m also on tenfans currently

Attachments

• 00EC58EF-68C4-458D-A598-8E21798C8F16.jpeg
    00EC58EF-68C4-458D-A598-8E21798C8F16.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 152
You don’t want to use both attachments on the Rockstar as that joint flexes as the rear suspension moves.

Howdy, Please let me know how it works for you. I'm reluctant to take my business to Dick's because of some political stances they've taken, but I might reconsider it if the stand is a winner.
First, my local Dick's was not exactly like the one they picture on the website, it is not open yoked at the top though it does extend long. It appears to be the same one that is on Amazon for $13 but I cannot confirm that, and regardless I wanted it today and was already at Dick's, so I bought their $19 version.

I have a belt sander and grinders, so I opened the outside channel on mine a tiny bit to better fit the profile of the rear bike stay. The rubber insert still fit but more on that in a second. I also ended up grinding a little bit off the stop for the down position so it angles forward just a tad extra for improved stability.

Upside. It fits and it extends enough to keep the bike in a proper upright position, and is definitely sturdier than the Tenfans, though it's not rock solid and we're probably already beyond its outer weight limit with the Rockstar -- it holds the bike up fine, but if I leaned hard on it, I'm certain the leg would snap.

Downside. With only two clamping screws, to keep it solidly in place you have to tighten it enough that the rear mounting plate bends a little around the stay. Of course when you tighten it this much it mashes through the rubber insert and bites into the paint. If you don't tighten it up enough, it's going to work back and forth and eventually wear off even more paint.

In comparison to the Tenfans which if I gave it a 4, this one is maybe a 6 -- nowhere near ideal, but works and is tall enough. We'll see how long this one lasts before I break it -- if I don't break it over the next month, I'll give it a 7.

Best solution would be if Sondors had bothered to weld on a simple, typical 2-hole kickstand tab during manufacture -- c'mon Sondors, you are really this shortsighted?

Hope this helped.

First, my local Dick's was not exactly like the one they picture on the website, it is not open yoked at the top though it does extend long. It appears to be the same one that is on Amazon for $13 but I cannot confirm that, and regardless I wanted it today and was already at Dick's, so I bought their $19 version.

I have a belt sander and grinders, so I opened the outside channel on mine a tiny bit to better fit the profile of the rear bike stay. The rubber insert still fit but more on that in a second. I also ended up grinding a little bit off the stop for the down position so it angles forward just a tad extra for improved stability.

Upside. It fits and it extends enough to keep the bike in a proper upright position, and is definitely sturdier than the Tenfans, though it's not rock solid and we're probably already beyond its outer weight limit with the Rockstar -- it holds the bike up fine, but if I leaned hard on it, I'm certain the leg would snap.

Downside. With only two clamping screws, to keep it solidly in place you have to tighten it enough that the rear mounting plate bends a little around the stay. Of course when you tighten it this much it mashes through the rubber insert and bites into the paint. If you don't tighten it up enough, it's going to work back and forth and eventually wear off even more paint.

In comparison to the Tenfans which if I gave it a 4, this one is maybe a 6 -- nowhere near ideal, but works and is tall enough. We'll see how long this one lasts before I break it -- if I don't break it over the next month, I'll give it a 7.

Best solution would be if Sondors had bothered to weld on a simple, typical 2-hole kickstand tab during manufacture -- c'mon Sondors, you are really this shortsighted?

Hope this helped.
Yes, that was very helpful. Thanks for all the details.

Anybody gone to a 38 or 40 tooth chainring on their Rockstar? I am thinking about the swap and wondering if it's even worth bothering. It's not so much I want or need lower final gearing, but feel that a bit tighter spacing in the top 4 gears would be welcome. I understand it drops my 11th to lower than 4:1, but I hardly ever find myself using 11th even on faster flats. (FYI, I am an older rider aged 66 with a bad knee LOL.)

Last edited:
Anybody gone to a 38 or 40 tooth chainring on their Rockstar? I am thinking about the swap and wondering if it's even worth bothering. It's not so much I want or need lower final gearing, but feel that a bit tighter spacing in the top 4 gears would be welcome. I understand it drops my 11th to lower than 4:1, but I hardly ever find myself using 11th even on faster flats. (FYI, I am an older rider aged 66 with a bad knee LOL.)
Some on YouTube have. I forgot who but there’s only a handful of YouTube’s. It seems to increase torque but lower top speed

I’m going to a 36 tooth, have one at home already just waiting on my adapter to mount it up. I’m thinking it will only help it, it would be much less rotating mass so easier on the motor and gearing down will be ok as it’s already faster than I’ll need most of the time

Dude sounds like a whiner. He does not own the "Rockstar vs XYZ" concept, nor does he have a lock on future comparisons...

OTOH, I am 1000% certain there are other mid-drive, full-suspension bikes available that can outpace the Rockstar; a little lighter, a little faster and with better forks, shock, wheels, tires, brakes, gear sets and seat. But the real kicker is at what added cost? For me, the other two bikes were non-starters due to initial price at over 2x the Rockstar -- honestly it was all I could do to justify the used one I bought...

/rant, YMMV...

Back