Rockstar owners

Sondors Rockstar Vs 1000 mile review 1000 subscribers and 2022 announcements coming soon.

Last edited:
I think that a rack that attaches to
The rear frame only works better. Attaching to the seat post will reduce the
amount of suspension.
I usually don't shift down to lower than 3rd gear mainly because the chain rubs on the tire. The less shifting the better
and when shifting do it cautiously keeping in mind that if it does get bound
up bad enough then it's going to need to be repaired and or replaced. Narrower tires are an upgrade that should be considered for this reason.
Thanks for this post. I had been looking to buy a Rockstar and came close several times but the actual utility of the bike due to issues like low gear shifting made me move in another direction.

I did like the @BafangBoy trail ride video above ... lookout Tanner or Jordon or was it Hunter. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for this post. I had been looking to buy a Rockstar and came close several times but the actual utility of the bike due to issues like low gear shifting made me move in another direction.

I did like the @BafangBoy trail ride video above ... lookout Tanner or Jordon or was it Hunter. :)
Thanks man! I’ve made better videos since that day 😎

All4Fun,
I purchase the kickstand you suggested for the Rockstar from Dick's Sporting Goods and it works great, installed as you said. It is approximately 1.5 to 1.75 inches longer than the one I had, which was a TopTrek, and was good quality just not long enough. The bike would tend to fall over. The bike stands up nicely now. There was a large inventory of these kickstands at our store.
Excellent. Thanks for the update and posting the pic. The kickstand has been treating me well too.

New member, fairly new Rockstar owner. Just thought I'd say "hi" and share the kickstand I adapted. I got it on Amazon. I needed to grind the edges off the internal cutout and did not use the rubber seal. I wrapped about 3 layers of gaffer tape over the frame to protect the paint. I also ground a little off the open stop of the stand to allow the stand to open to a little steeper angle for more stability with it mounted so far back. All that done it works great!
Kickstand:

Fair enough LOL – here’s my Rockstar:

index.php

index.php

A little more about me. I am an older guy (66). I am also a big guy at 6’-6”. Long story short, I wanted an e-bike to ride around town and up at our cabin in the Sierras, mostly on paved or fire roads. At my size, most of the step-throughs I demoed were way too small. So I was about to pull the trigger on an overseas, larger-framed full-suspension hub-drive fat tire bike on Amazon, but before I did that, I wanted to at least sit on one. So I started perusing my local Craig’s List offerings and this “like new” Rockstar showed up. I demoed it, it fit me pretty well, and the rest is history.

A little more about this particular bike. The guy selling it bought two of the earlier ones with the Tektro brakes and dropper seat post; a yellow one for him and a gray one for his wife. Out of the gate he replaced the front forks with Rockshock units, replaced the SRAM running gear with Shimano kits, went to a Michelin rear tire, slimed the tubs and had added comfort palm-swell grips. After all of that they apparently went for a few longer rides and realized the bike was just too big for his wife. He ended up liking the gray color better than the yellow one—so did I, but he wouldn’t sell me that one LOL—and so the yellow one became mine.

Setting it up for me. Fortunately the previous owner had not gotten around to cutting the longer Rockshock tube down for his shorter height, so I gained about an inch over the factory fork—a good thing for me. Also fortunate for me, he weighed the same as me and so the fork and shock were already set up quite nicely. I swapped to an adjustable stem so I could get to a bit more comfortable basic ride-position for me. I added fenders, mirror, top-bar bag, rechargeable lights, kickstand and H2O cage. I’ve been experimenting with seats for my old-man butt, though the factory one fits my sit bones pretty well. I do however have a Brooks Cambium on order to try, so I may report back about it. So end of day yes, it is way more bike than I needed, but so far I am quite pleased with it.

Oh, my kickstand referenced above:

index.php

My only real nit is a small one. In either the 5 or 9 assist mode, the 1 setting is more than I need for around town. I would love to reprogram it to about half of what it starts at. OTOH, at that setting I’m only using about 3% of battery for every 5 miles, so have a fairly respectable range and really no complaint.
~~~

Some more that might be of interest to other Rockstar owners as I have not seen it discussed in this thread, though admittedly have not closely read all 50 pages so if this is repetition, my apologies. I dug into the Bafang M620 wiring info in an attempt to hard-ware into the existing lighting harness. If you remove the plastic cover above the motor, the two open blue connectors can be found for front and rear lights per this pic:

index.php

The front light cable puts out 12v and the rear light cable puts out 3.7v. Moreover, you can order the factory pigtail connectors here for pretty cheap, $7.95 for the harness and about the same for USPS shipping to the states from here: https://www.greenbikekit.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bafang+MAX+M400/+Ultra+M620/+M420/+M300+mid+motor+headlight/tail+light+cables(a+pair)

The issue is the wires are tiny gauge, I estimate about 22AWG or so, so I’m doubtful the circuit could handle more than about 1 amp (equaling 12 watts) which would only safely power a 500 to 750 lumen LED up front, which isn’t much – I suspect this is why we haven’t seen the promised auxiliary lighting kit from Sondors… On the upside, the rear circuit should be more than adequate to power most any LED rear light, or even tap into a fuller-featured battery or rechargeable unit.

That’s all I have for now.

Last edited:
Fair enough LOL – here’s my Rockstar:

index.php

index.php

A little more about me. I am an older guy (66). I am also a big guy at 6’-6”. Long story short, I wanted an e-bike to ride around town and up at our cabin in the Sierras, mostly on paved or fire roads. At my size, most of the step-throughs I demoed were way too small. So I was about to pull the trigger on an overseas, larger-framed full-suspension hub-drive fat tire bike on Amazon, but before I did that, I wanted to at least sit on one. So I started perusing my local Craig’s List offerings and this “like new” Rockstar showed up. I demoed it, it fit me pretty well, and the rest is history.

A little more about this particular bike. The guy selling it bought two of the earlier ones with the Tektro brakes and dropper seat post; a yellow one for him and a gray one for his wife. Out of the gate he replaced the front forks with Rockshock units, replaced the SRAM running gear with Shimano kits, went to a Michelin rear tire, slimed the tubs and had added comfort palm-swell grips. After all of that they apparently went for a few longer rides and realized the bike was just too big for his wife. He ended up liking the gray color better than the yellow one—so did I, but he wouldn’t sell me that one LOL—and so the yellow one became mine.

Setting it up for me. Fortunately the previous owner had not gotten around to cutting the longer Rockshock tube down for his shorter height, so I gained about an inch over the factory fork—a good thing for me. Also fortunate for me, he weighed the same as me and so the fork and shock were already set up quite nicely. I swapped to an adjustable stem so I could get to a bit more comfortable basic ride-position for me. I added fenders, mirror, top-bar bag, rechargeable lights, kickstand and H2O cage. I’ve been experimenting with seats for my old-man butt, though the factory one fits my sit bones pretty well. I do however have a Brooks Cambium on order to try, so I may report back about it. So end of day yes, it is way more bike than I needed, but so far I am quite pleased with it.

Oh, my kickstand referenced above:

index.php

My only real nit is a small one. In either the 5 or 9 assist mode, the 1 setting is more than I need for around town. I would love to reprogram it to about half of what it starts at. OTOH, at that setting I’m only using about 3% of battery for every 5 miles, so have a fairly respectable range and really no complaint.
~~~

Some more that might be of interest to other Rockstar owners as I have not seen it discussed in this thread, though admittedly have not closely read all 50 pages so if this is repetition, my apologies. I dug into the Bafang M620 wiring info in an attempt to hard-ware into the existing lighting harness. If you remove the plastic cover above the motor, the two open blue connectors can be found for front and rear lights per this pic:

index.php

The front light cable puts out 12v and the rear light cable puts out 3.7v. Moreover, you can order the factory pigtail connectors here for pretty cheap, $7.95 for the harness and about the same for USPS shipping to the states from here: https://www.greenbikekit.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bafang+MAX+M400/+Ultra+M620/+M420/+M300+mid+motor+headlight/tail+light+cables(a+pair)

The issue is the wires are tiny gauge, I estimate about 22AWG or so, so I’m doubtful the circuit could handle more than about 1 amp (equaling 12 watts) which would only safely power a 500 to 750 lumen LED up front, which isn’t much – I suspect this is why we haven’t seen the promised auxiliary lighting kit from Sondors… On the upside, the rear circuit should be more than adequate to power most any LED rear light, or even tap into a fuller-featured battery or rechargeable unit.

That’s all I have for now.
You scored a fine bike right there. Looks good with all the mods. Congrats on your Rockstar

You need to check out these YouTube channels for some great info

That’s a great review and your bike is up to speed with most of ours. The previous owner did the right modifications. The front and rear lights are new information to me, so that is appreciated. This bike should serve you well. I think most of us watch Simple Pleasures MTB on YouTube for technical knowledge so check him out. I’d consider upgrading the rear shock (if you need/want) it’s fairly inexpensive and worth every penny. I make YouTube videos but just for entertainment, soon I’ll have 1000 miles on my bike and I plan on a 1000 mile review extravaganza. I beat my bike on my local trails so I have a different experience with breaking stuff and all. As far as campgrounds, commutes and a few trails this is easily plenty of bike and should hold up without any issue. I’m 51y.o. 6’1” and 225 lbs. since Christmas break and the time change I’m getting fat again! Can’t ride after work. Thanks for the info and enjoy, welcome to the RS squad. Mine is black I like the yellow, and I like the grey the most now. The YouTube link CrossUp posted is how to find our stuff.

I have a black one shipped and I’m looking for quality front and rear reflectors and lights..side reflectors too if possible (it gets dark here early)

any recommendations?

Let's see Fat Sandy. Sondors Armour Black.

Can anyone show pics of battery?
Let's see Fat Sandy. Sondors Armour Black.

Can anyone show pics of battery?
Fat Sandy and Armour Black? Don’t know what you mean. My battery is siliconed in the frame because I ride through water often. So I can’t take it out.

Mentalist,

The bike comes with a bunch of different reflectors, I’d wait to see what you get. If they are not enough I’ll give you the ones that came with mine. Let me know

Mentalist,

The bike comes with a bunch of different reflectors, I’d wait to see what you get. If they are not enough I’ll give you the ones that came with mine. Let me know

I’m still interested in a front and back light. I looked at the motor and it has headlight and taillight connectors

theres lights on the site but I also realized the motor has canbus and uart protocol..canbus is a newer, more proprietary one to keep people from tuning the controller...and I bet people are getting mixed versions. Uart you can customize everything. I have no clue which one I’m getting

I’m still interested in a front and back light. I looked at the motor and it has headlight and taillight connectors
If you look at my post directly above, you will see at the end where I show those connectors under the cover of my Rockstar and give you a link where you can buy the pigtails. I also explain voltage output potential limitations and why I don't think it's a great option, at least for the front.

In my research, I only found a few wired front light options that would not overload the circuit, and they were pretty lame options at 500 lumens or so -- but they would work. Rear should be no issues, but... Almost every rechargeable battery pack front option has multiple power or strobe modes and are a lot more powerful overall and many are relatively inexpensive; and this is the same with the rear lights where the small rechargeable options have features the hard-wired lights don't, like auto brake light and strobe or continuous modes. In the end it's why I went with a USB rechargeable battery pack option up front and small USB recharge rear, but totally respect YMMV...

If you look at my post directly above, you will see at the end where I show those connectors under the cover of my Rockstar and give you a link where you can buy the pigtails. I also explain voltage output potential limitations and why I don't think it's a great option, at least for the front.

In my research, I only found a few wired front light options that would not overload the circuit, and they were pretty lame options at 500 lumens or so -- but they would work. Rear should be no issues, but... Almost every rechargeable battery pack front option has multiple power or strobe modes and are a lot more powerful overall and many are relatively inexpensive; and this is the same with the rear lights where the small rechargeable options have features the hard-wired lights don't, like auto brake light and strobe or continuous modes. In the end it's why I went with a USB rechargeable battery pack option up front and small USB recharge rear, but totally respect YMMV...
Can you link to what light and pack you got?
i wasn’t looking at the motor for the lights, but for the protocol (the newer canbus) is proprietary and won’t let me tweak with the firmware

Reply #1000 !!! Few more miles until my 1000 mile Rockstar review…coincidence? Absolutely. Here’s a trail I did yesterday with a bonus deer at the end.

Just an FYI that a couple of "new" Rockstars are showing as available today (Jan 31st, 2022) for sale in the SF Bay Area Craig's list. I have NO knowledge of the seller, so buyer beware, due diligence recommended, etc.

If anyone’s wondering, the recent and future batches of the m620 motor are CAN protocol. Bafang discontinued UART..which means no more cheap usb cable to change firmware settings

Back