Rockstar owners

Great looking bike Lightning! Question: any possibility of adding a rear fender? Is there a cut out/mount to facilitate adding a fender? Thanks!

I'm looking into doing that right now. I bought a set of fenders called sks beavertail off of eBay for real cheap and it looks like the rear fender will bolt on with not too much trouble. It would look good under that rack and would help keep it cleaner.

To be honest I have partial hearing loss, but I can definitely hear the tires howling when driving on hard surfaces. The brakes seem to work adequately for what they are with no issues.

Congrats, I know you were waiting a while. I'm not happy that they've downgraded the front fork. All the promo videos appear to have a better front fork. But overall the bike looks great!

To be honest I have partial hearing loss, but I can definitely hear the tires howling when driving on hard surfaces. The brakes seem to work adequately for what they are with no issues.
I took it out for a longer ride yesterday and could hear the motor, it is noticeably
different from the tire sounds. If you think about it you can Hear noises on just about every electric motor some are louder than others this is coming mostly from the gears I don't think it's that bad
and it doesn't seem to bother people when it gets driven by. I want to take it out for a longer ride very soon to get a better perspective on how it performs with extended use, also I want to go into the settings and unlock what is there to get a higher throttle speed.

Ill give a short review on my end. I received my Rockstar last week. I am coming from a moderate Mountain Biking experience.

The Good: The Bike has plenty of power and battery. It looks like a millions bucks, up close the welds and metal bends around the midframe could be a little cleaner..

The Bad: The bike is heavy and definitely feels that way. It also feels unbalanced...for example if i am peddling with one hand on the handlebars it feels unbalanced & kinda scary. Also the pause in the throttle when shifting is very long. If i am going up a steep hill under peddle assist you need to have your final gear preselected before you begin the assent. If you need to change gears mid-hill the power cuts for so long during the gear change that you lose all momentum. Something i need to get used to.

The Real Bad: After my first ride I noticed alot of play in the handlebar stem where it mounts through the frame. i sent in a support ticket and they gave me instructions on how to tighten everything up. I then proceeded to disassemble the front fork stem and handlebar. The bolt that goes into the top of the riser was loose almost not even threaded...yikes..wasn't on the instructions to check. After i fixed that there still was play. After disassembling the whole front fork from the frame i noticed some disturbing things. See the attached Pics. The bearing doesn't sit even/flush in the frame tube, one of the red rings sits on the bearing is chewed to hell with metal shards all over it and one of the spacer rings is broken. Obviously alot of metal wear for only a handful of miles.

I responded again to the support ticket, unfortunately it appears there is a 24hr+ wait time per response. Lets see what Sondors does to fix this...and when i mean fix this I dont mean send me a bunch of parts and have me spend the time to fix it. I dont have the proper tools or a bike holder to work on this 81lb beast. Plus after seeing all of the metal shards there has been rubbing wear and tear from this defect.

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 225
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 225
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 216
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 201
  • bike5.jpg
    bike5.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 237
Well, that's unfortunate and annoying. Hopefully there is a solution that meets your needs at this point. Sorry that happened to your bike.

I would be totally bummed if that happened to me. I really do hope that they can take care of this problem in a
Speedy and professional way that would limit your inconvenience.

It would be good to know if the Rock Star suffers numerous design or construction issues.
I would then cancel, my order. I don’t want to be stuck with a lemon!

I think that overall they have a record of good quality, if you consider all of the other models over the last few years you would already know if there was a problem. So far mine has been flawless, I took it out after work yesterday for the second time and put 12 miles on it.

It would be good to know if the Rock Star suffers numerous design or construction issues.
I would then cancel, my order. I don’t want to be stuck with a lemon!
Better yet...if that does happen to you how does Sondors remedy it? Ill keep the thread updated on their response to the situation.

I think that overall they have a record of good quality, if you consider all of the other models over the last few years you would already know if there was a problem. So far mine has been flawless, I took it out after work yesterday for the second time and put 12 miles on it.
I would caveat that with a big, how do you know they have good quality? You may have a bit of "optimism bias". There isnt a huge forum or other presence for feedback. There are only 121 threads on the Sondors Brand and User Reviews section which is not alot considering. Bottom line is that these are built and sourced with a number cheap Chinese parts. I would think that the final product is shipped from China to the customer without Sondors even inspecting them. In addition I am now waiting 24hrs+ for a response. That is concerning. There are other threads around the interwebs citing front stems being loose on their bikes. Google "sondors play in front handlebars" and see the Sondors and Electricbikereview forums.

For all that have a Rockstar, at a minimum, I would take the plug out of the top of the front stem and tighten that bolt. Like I said above mine was very loose (could move with my fingers) and there were no prior instructions to check. Very dangerous for a bike that can go 28-35mph. They are going to kill someone.

You have good points, I still think that if
There's a major problem with any of
Their products word would have gotten out by now through other social media
outlets.

Yes please keep us posted. I'll be following to hear more. This is a bit of the concern I have, you save money buying this bike but if it turns out to be a bunch of problems is it worth it for the money you save?. Anyway, sorry about this issue, it sucks. Hopefully they will have an answer for you quickly.

Some of these little problems and some large can usually be fixed very easily.
Just type your problem into You Tube and there are usually several video demonstrations available (free) to teach how to fix stuff, any stuff, bicycle and anything else you can think of.

Back