Road Rash Hurts LOL

Had my first bike crash in years. Of course It's have been many years without a crash on a regular bike. I got my first lesson on respecting the added speed of an e-bike.

Going to fast around a corner on wet leaf covered road = instant road rash :(

My bike came out with only a scratch on the grip and had to readjust the bars. I unfortunately will be nursing the missing layers of skin on my knee and shoulder LOL

Had my first bike crash in years. Of course It's have been many years without a crash on a regular bike. I got my first lesson on respecting the added speed of an e-bike.

Going to fast around a corner on wet leaf covered road = instant road rash :(

My bike came out with only a scratch on the grip and had to readjust the bars. I unfortunately will be nursing the missing layers of skin on my knee and shoulder LOL
I had one of those wonderful experiences about a month ago...came into my driveway and the gravel let my front tire escape. Rubbed the skin off my forehead nose and cheek. It also destroyed my glasses. I have a new respect for the gravel on my driveway.

Too late now, but if you don't know, keeping RR covered and moist so it doesn't scab over is about 1000% less painful and it heals much much faster and with less scaring. Cover with antibiotic laced bandages and change daily.
Crazy how painful it is if scabbed over and then every movement tugs on that and hurts like )*#)(*%#*%*.

Just had my first crash today :( I am still a bit shell shocked.

I slowed down and lost all my momentum when I was trying to get a off a paved road and onto a dirt path(to avoid parked cars that where clogging up a roadway and had oncoming traffic). Had it at level 0 and gear 2 which was not enough for me to keep the bike going forward. I did the slow mo crash were I just tipped over to the right... put my foot out to try to stop but then like a pinball, bounced off into another direction.. which happened to be a grassy ditch with a surprise rock landing on my mid-back.. :confused: I'm wondering if gear 1 would have helped me power thru. Glad I had my helmet on though.

So far I am not worse for wear (nick on elbow and back seems to still function) but I am sure tomorrow, I'll be a bit sore... ak!o_O

I have a short (10-15') but steep dirt mound that I like to ride over for the little bit of climb effort (flat as pancake here) and I started to tug on the bars as I got over it pullng up into a little wheelie as I crested the hill. Well got a bit too excited and pulled too hard and stood it right up to the point I fell off the back straight onto my back. LOL Fortunately no rocks or other damage. I sat there and laughed for 10 seconds before I got up. Dirt is much more forgiving than concrete (barring rocks)
Haven't done it since though.......

Last edited:
glad everyone is ok

i fell 2 days ago on a loose rocky hill that i walked the bike up because i was losing traction and KNEW i should not try to ride down but did anyway
it was steep and lots of big and small loose rock sliding around and washed out areas from the rain

i was also going slow and it wasnt that bad but it was stupid on my part
might have caught the bike and myself if i wasnt on the radrover which is too big for me and i have the seat up way high on it

fine and comfortable when moving but not great for stopping etc
especially stopping like that

really need to get a smaller frame 26 inch fat bike that fits me...

Still haven't got back on the horse yet. Back still not feelin great. It's more getting the bike out and up stairs than riding that I am worried about.. That and the rain.:cool:

Back on the horse today. Almost got skunked though!:eek:

Oh man, welcome back into the saddle!

(Reminds me of riding a horse in Wyoming, came around a corner at speed, almost running into a HUGE porcupine with quills extended! Horse and I skidded to a halt...porcupine sauntered off.)

If you ever do get sprayed, mix up hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and a bit of grease-cutting dish detergent, like Dawn. Put it on the sprayed area BEFORE using water. Then let it soak for a bit (5-10 minutes?), rinse, and repeat if necessary. Works on dogs too. Might lighten hair.

Sorry to hear these tales of woe, but glad no one is too bad off!

"Real" cyclists say a bicyclist isn't a real cyclist until they've had at least 10 crashes. So you're on your way:confused: Another curiosity is road racers call road rash, bacono_O

Anyway, my worst bicycle crash was a few years ago. While riding down a big hill, early morning at 18-20 mph and a car had to pass me at the moment a doe and her fawn ran accross the road. The doe made it, the fawn was hit by the car and it landed in front of me. I went head over the bars and didn't land soft:( I like helmets;)

P.S. The car never stopped! There's no possible way they didn't know what happened:mad: Cagers:mad:

"Real" cyclists say a bicyclist isn't a real cyclist until they've had at least 10 crashes. So you're on your way:confused: Another curiosity is road racers call road rash, bacono_O

Anyway, my worst bicycle crash was a few years ago. While riding down a big hill, early morning at 18-20 mph and a car had to pass me at the moment a doe and her fawn ran accross the road. The doe made it, the fawn was hit by the car and it landed in front of me. I went head over the bars and didn't land soft:( I like helmets;)

P.S. The car never stopped! There's no possible way they didn't know what happened:mad: Cagers:mad:

Bacon for breakfast? No, thank you! Sorry you fawned out the hard way that helmets are good.

@J.R. Crazy crash story... I wouldn't have wanted to be in that! I noticed there was a road kill skunk in the same area were one darted out in front of me.. Poor skunky...:(. I'm a cheater(so I'm told by passer by's each day). So I'm ok if I'm not a "real" cyclist.

@Berry78 ..."fawned out"... hehehehe :D

Oh my god, that's scary.

The only time I crashed on my bike was when I was drunk. And I used to ride my bike while drunk all the time so that's saying something. I was riding on the wrong side of the road and stupidly turned around to see if my friend was behind me, lost balance and crashed into oncoming traffic. I was so drunk that I didn't feel anything, I surprisingly didn't get any injuries, but I passed out and when I came to (still couldn't see) I heard some man over me saying, "Please don't die, this is how my son died" which kind of worried me. Then paramedics arrived and strapped me onto a stretcher, and all I remember was freaking out and saying, "Please don't put handcuffs on my head" because for some reason I thought I was going to the drunk tank, but they were putting a head collar on me. I'm pretty sure that incident should have ended up a lot worse than it really did, but I left the hospital completely fine. And that's actually how my parent's found out I was an alcoholic, because apparently it wasn't the first time those paramedics had picked me up for something stupid so they told me parent's about my history.

But the last road rash I got was from longboarding. I've had it lots from longboarding lol. But the last time was terrifying, I swear I have PTSD from it and I've never gone back to downhill longboarding since, much more cautious now...
I fell and skidded into traffic, and I stood in a daze, without knowing the extent of my injury, but half of my calf muscle was just... gone, and I collapsed. The road rash took literally 3 or 5 inches off of my leg, and it was so gross, it looked pure white at first, no blood, it took a long time for the blood to actually show.
I had to drag myself to the side of the road and the worst part is cars didn't even stop to help me, they just drove around me!
Maybe after an hour or so someone finally stopped but they didn't know first aid. I refused to go to the hospital anyway, because I did know first aid and volunteered at St Johns Ambulance and heard stories of what they do to extreme road rash like that (they literally take a scrubby brush and grate it through your flesh to remove gravel and things stuck in the wound) and that was NOT going to happen. It was so painful I did not touch it for weeks.
I'm surprised my muscle and flesh actually grew back, it was a HUGE chunk missing, but now you can barely even see a scar. The body is quite amazing at healing itself I guess. But that incident definitely traumatized me.

Last edited:

It upsets me that someone would not stop. I once saw a motorcyclist fall and no cars were stopping, none. I was a passenger in a vehicle, and got the driver to turn around so we could go help him. But it breaks my heart how many people just do not care. There were even people honking at him to get out of the way just so they could get into Superstore. What jerks. Thank goodness he wasn't badly hurt, he was mostly just really stunned.

Oh, one thing I'm curious about is how did you manage to go flying over the handlebars? Was it because you slammed on the breaks so suddenly? I'm just trying to picture how that would happen.

Oh, one thing I'm curious about is how did you manage to go flying over the handlebars? Was it because you slammed on the breaks so suddenly? I'm just trying to picture how that would happen.

Whether he put on the brakes...well, it wouldn't really matter. A fawn is big enough to be like a log in the road. Car hit fawn, flung it in front of bike, bikes's front wheel tangles up....

Man J.R., that really sucks, the more I think about it.

We have a significant downhill near our house. A few weeks ago, same thing...driving my car at 7am, doe and fawn jump out. Just prior to that, something made me feel like being cautious, so had my foot on the brake, already slowing. Doe makes it easily, but little spotted fawn is running for all its worth a couple feet in front of me, where I could barely see it, it was so close. Of course I'm braking heavily, but there is also a car tailgating too. Fawn actually manages to make it! but if I hadn't already had that foot on my brake..... :cool: No bikes around though..

Western MD is just like PA..deer everywhere.

@J.R. road rash- bacon...might be because a bunch of slices of bacon is called a 'rasher'. Don't know the story behind that though :rolleyes:

Back