Road-e for 2024?

Because Yamaha does not make a lightweight e-bike motor?
That’s the point. Are they totally locked in to only using Yamaha or could they seek a lightweight motor partner - like the other big boys Cannondale Spesh & Trek etc to compete with them. Again it could be timing for both Giant & Yamaha- maybe better to hold off on new R&D until this industry crises resolves. Or, they just don’t care!

Their PW-XM motor is listed as 5.75lb, which is about 1.45lb heavier than the SL motors (4.3lb) Brose makes for Specialized, or 0.65lb more than the M800 Bafang (5.1) that powers some light road bikes. Its theoretically possible to make a pretty light bike with that motor if you work on keeping the battery weight down. But yeah, thats a full power motor. Yamaha so far hasn't tried to jump into the lightweight low power market.

I'm personally hoping for a continuation of the old Revolt/Toughroad model, with a full power motor. I'd like to see some higher spec models with carbon frames and larger batteries. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with, but decent change I'll be dissapointed even if the mainstream road-ebike market isn't. :p

The issue for Giant is the only world market where road e-bikes make sense is the United States. Roadies in Europe ask: 'Why should I carry a burden of the motor and the battery to be only assisted to 25 km/h?' I find no answer to that. Europe is the principal market for Giant...

The issue for Giant is the only world market where road e-bikes make sense is the United States. Roadies in Europe ask: 'Why should I carry a burden of the motor and the battery to be only assisted to 25 km/h?' I find no answer to that. Europe is the principal market for Giant...

Probably some truth there, but the US is still a huge market and it sure seems like Specialized and Trek sell plenty of road-ebikes all around the world, even in places where assist speeds are absurdly low.

In both road bikes and e-road bikes there is some blurring happening between road and gravel these days. Endurance or All Road bikes with longer and more relaxed geo for greater distances in comfort plus greater tyre clearance that can be used on both roads and mild gravel are very popular. Looks like brands are capitalising by doing e gravel or e all road depending on tyres and components so the bike is a jack of all trades, one bike to do it all. In Europe we don't have the hundreds of desert or forest gravel/dirt roads. Most riding dips in and out of road & gravel so one bike to do it all makes sense.

The other thing I notice is that for a lot of roadies the 15.5mph cut off isn't a big deal, if the bike is light enough to be enjoyable to ride unassisted they can power along at 18-20 mph on the flats with no assistance, saving assistance for hills. I watch one rider on you tube who rides like this on his Creo and saves Turbo for near the end of his rides, he frequently uses this as a kind of informal catch phrase like 'heading for home now so I can hit turbo'. Hills on the way out on his loops in Eco, hills nearing home, in Turbo. Nothing needed on the flats. He did a 100 miler on a singe battery once and I actually messaged him about it and he said his average speed was 18mph so though he stayed in eco, the battery only got used once he dipped below 15mph making it very economical. As my average speed on the Vado SL is 9mph, I was impressed!

European companies like Orbea, BH, Ribble, Boardman all have SL e road bikes plus gravel and/or all road versions so there must be a market for them.

Gravel itself seems now to be split into road-like fast gravel and rowdy MTB-Like rough gravel with very different geo. And with some brands having 2 different models to cater for both these 'sub divisions'.

All they use hub-drive motors, and please do not tell me Mahle X system is any reliable :)
Giant would not go that way.
That’s not the point though is it? And hub motors for fit road cyclists are fine because they are lightweight so the bike feels responsive and the riders don’t need much assistance. Plus many, many, brands use Mahle X. Must be doing something right. Mahle are a reliable firm, just ask Specialized.

Haven't you noticed only the SL motor is made by Mahle (and Specialized has the exclusive rights to the motor) but all the SL infrastructure is Specialized?

Mahle X electronics is unreliable. Read these Fora more carefully...

A little reading for you

More and more ebike manufacturers go Fazua or TQ.

Last edited:
Haven't you noticed only the SL motor is made by Mahle (and Specialized has the exclusive rights to the motor) but all the SL infrastructure is Specialized?

Mahle X electronics is unreliable. Read these Fora more carefully...

A little reading for you

More and more ebike manufacturers go Fazua or TQ.
ALL ebike motors fail. Specialized are no exception. But Spesh are prompt with warranty claims and repairs. Whereas there seems to be a lot of hassle with the brands that use Mahle. Particularly in North America. Hard to tell why, as in is this mahle’s fault or the brand or both? Where does the buck stop? My own shop where I bought my Vado SL said at least half the emtbs they sell need new motors under warranty and they sell loads of Spesh Trek etc. And this is backed up by the companies who repair motors. The wet climate in U.K. is really bad for mid drives as the motor seals are often not great so water damage is terrible. That’s what knocked out my SL motor - twice.

And yes brands are moving to TQ and Fazua (who you once said were equally unreliable) because they are newer systems and are mid drives. Most popular & well reviewed new lightweight motor right now seems to be the Bosch SX.

Also you mostly hear from people with motor problems on here, if the bike is fine people are out riding! I follow a YouTuber who has an Orbea gain and has never had a motor issue.

None of this has anything to do with Giant btw.

Back