Riese & Müller : Reliability & Support

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Once again my Homage, a beautiful but seriously flawed ebike, is kaput. I've lost count of how many times this bike has suddenly stopped in the middle of a ride! Error Code 532 this time.

Breaking down seems to be what my Riese & Müller's Homage does best – especially when it is ridden on the rough tracks that it's Control Technology suspension was designed to smooth out!

All of my Homage's woes relate to electrical connection problems which, I think, are properly attributable to R&M rather than to Bosch or Rohloff. Significantly, no failure has been covered by warranty. I stress 'significantly' because the theme of this thread is reliability and support and, in my experience, these are deficient.

To me appears that piggybacking a second battery on the loose-fitting lid of the primary battery compartment was a catastrophic design blunder. Why didn't R&M position the downtube battery's cover on the side – even underneath the down tube – like most other makers do? Or put the second battery on the pannier rack?

I think it's time to pay Giant, Specialized or Trek a visit.

Distance ridden: 17,600 km.
Given the problems you have had with your R&M, are you staying with the Bosch system on your next ebike

Once again my Homage, a beautiful but seriously flawed ebike, is kaput. I've lost count of how many times this bike has suddenly stopped in the middle of a ride! Error Code 532 this time.

Breaking down seems to be what my Riese & Müller's Homage does best – especially when it is ridden on the rough tracks that it's Control Technology suspension was designed to smooth out!

All of my Homage's woes relate to electrical connection problems which, I think, are properly attributable to R&M rather than to Bosch or Rohloff. Significantly, no failure has been covered by warranty. I stress 'significantly' because the theme of this thread is reliability and support and, in my experience, these are deficient.

To me appears that piggybacking a second battery on the loose-fitting lid of the primary battery compartment was a catastrophic design blunder. Why didn't R&M position the downtube battery's cover on the side – even underneath the down tube – like most other makers do? Or put the second battery on the pannier rack?

I think it's time to pay Giant, Specialized or Trek a visit.

Distance ridden: 17,600 km.
David ,so sorry to hear it. Please consider the Moustache lineup if they are available to you in Australia. These bikes are designed and assembled in France. https://moustachebikes.com/en/electric-bikes/

Ahh... bummer. Well at least David still has his trusty Powerfly 5 ?
The German posts were interesting, mentioning the possibility of a duff Bosch cable and connection problems with the control unit.
Here in the U.K. the Bosch unit is probably the dominant e bike motor unit and there are numerous dealers, an informal chat with a local dealer rated them highly for fixing things very quickly and being very reliable.

For the OP I would suggest trying to check all the cabling for any damage ( endoscope perhaps) and any connections.

This is probably teaching gramma to suck eggs but I would not be surprised that a slightly dodgy electrical connection could cause any manner of software issues sporadically

Back