Riding In Cold Weather

Credible Hulk

I'm about to receive an ebike I ordered, I think it will arrive next week. I'm in Toronto by the way. It's going to be pretty cold next week (like -9 C during the day) and that's too cold for me. But the next week it will be warming up to around 0 (32 F) and a few degrees more.

I'm just wondering what a minimum temperature would be for the lithium battery and the motor? It's 48v if that makes a difference. I'm not planning on going very far at first, I mainly want to test the ebike after I assemble it. I plan on waiting until the roads are mainly dry, no snow or ice. I've read that batteries have a shorter range in the cold. Are there any other things I should do with the ebike when I ride in the cold, like lube for the chain?

I do know how to dress for riding in the cold. I have ski goggles, full head balaclava, a helmet with a winter liner, warm shoes, heated gloves, snow pants.

Yeah, range is lower in the cold. My 17.5 AH 48 v battery goes from green (50v) to red (44v) in about 25 miles at 30 deg F. Yeah, I could stretch it to 41 v by carrying an accurate voltmeter, but that would be a nuisance.
Also don't let the battery freeze. they are not lead acid. I bought an $18 back heating pad to warm mine in the garage when it is -6 F outside. Or below 32. Plus a foam blanket that came in the packaging for my TV. If you're riding electrically you should be able to go down below freezing a bit, the battery self heats. But no long pauses at the supermarket at those temperatures. You'll notice I have the battery wrapped in white foam left on the front of the bike.
People have also said bad things about charging near freezing temperatures. I don't know, but I haven't done that and mine still works in March, that I bought in October.

Yeah, range is lower in the cold. My 17.5 AH 48 v battery goes from green (50v) to red (44v) in about 25 miles at 30 deg F. Yeah, I could stretch it to 41 v by carrying an accurate voltmeter, but that would be a nuisance.
Also don't let the battery freeze. they are not lead acid. I bought an $18 back heating pad to warm mine in the garage when it is -6 F outside. Or below 32. Plus a foam blanket that came in the packaging for my TV. If you're riding electrically you should be able to go down below freezing a bit, the battery self heats. But no long pauses at the supermarket at those temperatures. You'll notice I have the battery wrapped in white foam left on the front of the bike.
People have also said bad things about charging near freezing temperatures. I don't know, but I haven't done that and mine still works in March, that I bought in October.

That's good to know! I live in an apartment building so my ebikes are stored and charged in my apartment (not on the balcony). When it's cold I don't want to stay out too long, or stop on the way. I'm just planning on going round the block a few times to test and get the feel of this bike. I'd be out for probably no more than half an hour at a time.

20 degrees F is my lower limit. Hit it many times this year in Central IL. I prefer to mtb ride in that weather since the woods break the wind up and I work my butt off at lower speeds. But way too much snow and ice to do that this year. Buying a neoprene cover for the battery helps, but I've never bought one and this is the 3rd winter for my Haibike Full Seven S RX.

So what did you buy and where did you get it? Been quite the cold winter & lots of snow in the GTA this season. Did you go to the bike show this weekend? I saw a video with Veronica of Amego EV talking with the Mayor.

My understanding is that completely discharging or attempting to recharge a Li-Ion battery at low temperatures (e.g. below freezing) risks damaging the battery.

My understanding is that completely discharging or attempting to recharge a Li-Ion battery at low temperatures (e.g. below freezing) risks damaging the battery.
Charging yes. No apparently damage seen from discharging in 20F temps. I now warm the batteries on my ride. Using heat strips made for heated clothing. When running cold, batteries sag.

So what did you buy and where did you get it? Been quite the cold winter & lots of snow in the GTA this season. Did you go to the bike show this weekend? I saw a video with Veronica of Amego EV talking with the Mayor.

I didn't know about the bike show this year, but I went last year and the year before. I'm glad the Mayor was there and spoke with someone from one of the bigger local ebike companies. Maybe it will start a change in attitude towards ebikes at city hall.

I bought my bike from sparkbikes.ca. They're a Canadian company based in Vancouver, and they don't charge for shipping in Canada. They sell nice entry level ebikes at a decent price. I first found them on Amazon.ca, but don't buy from there because Amazon charges $200 for shipping for the same products. They also sell to the US but I'm not sure what their US shipping policy is.

Charging yes. No apparently damage seen from discharging in 20F temps. I now warm the batteries on my ride. Using heat strips made for heated clothing. When running cold, batteries sag.

I have some adhesive foam pads that came with an air conditioner to seal the window. I can stick those on the battery while riding in the cold. The glue is only about as strong as masking tape.

I'm definitely not planning to completely discharge the battery, or charge it in the cold. At less than 20 F I'd be freezing my butt long before the battery! My ebike arrives next week, but it's going to be less than 20 degrees all week. The following week they're forecasting between 32 and 40 degrees. I also don't want to take it out if there's a lot of snow melt and water on the roads. I'd rather not get road salt all over it and in the electrical parts. If the roads are swamped I'll wait until the following week or however long it takes. Either way, at this point I only want to take a few short rides for testing purposes (including adjusting the seat and handlebars) once I assemble the bike. I may not even leave the parking lot of my building.

I have ridden in temps as cold as 0 f and not had a problem with the battery flat-lining. I keep my rides short and not let the battery stay out in the cold longer then I have to. If I go in for more then ten min. the battery comes with me. I also never let the batter go below two bars. At 32f or above if you have the right outer ware you can have an enjoyable ride.

Back